News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

VIN Confidentiality / Security

Started by #s Matching, August 18, 2005, 12:05:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

#s Matching

I have noticed that some members keep the last 6 digits of their VIN's confidential, intensionally leaving it out or XXXXXX it out.  I realize that the sequence number is not very important for most Mopars unless they are an early sequence car or something particularly special.  Is there a security concern with having the full VIN for your vehicle known?  If you have your car on the street or at a show, the VIN is visible by any number of spectators....
#s Matching - 74 Charger SE, 74 Charger Rallye, 69 Charger R/T

472 R/T SE

Some people go to great lengths to keep their VIN concealed.  But the minute it's out in the public anyone can see it, unless it's covered again.

What is it, people copy & research VIN's to try and find out where the car is stored for possible theft?

Alaskan_TA

It is usually just paranoia.

That said, do a google search for JH23J0B311229 and see how many hits you get.  :yesnod:

T/Ake care,
Barry

Dodge-Charger

I have been told that due to some states not needing a title it is easy to steal a car " by law " if you have the VIN. I have not seen it done ,but have heard about it. Who knows ?
    To me I think it's just an extra step in protecting what is yours ( like AllblueRT said ) possible theft. This is why some people change or put fake plates on the back of their cars at shows too. If the tag is in your name, it has all the info someone would need to find it later.
    If you are worried about it I would say register the car on a good site with pics in case something ever does happen you will have more than just your papers and word. I have all the cars info and pics of me with the cars locked up just in case something happens. I doubt it ever will but thing are getting worse for old cars and the people who love them.

AKcharger

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on August 18, 2005, 01:34:14 AM
It is usually just paranoia.

That said, do a google search for JH23J0B311229 and see how many hits you get.   :yesnod:

T/Ake care,
Barry

Holy Smokes I found hits for my VIN!!!!!

although they were all from the old d-c.com site

Chris G.

Quote from: AllBlueRT on August 18, 2005, 01:28:45 AM
What is it, people copy & research VIN's to try and find out where the car is stored for possible theft?

They can pretty much do the same by tracking your plate #.

That why I have a lowly '70. Nothing fancy, and potential thiefs walk right by it in search of a more desireable car.   :icon_smile_big:

ph23vo

heres a couple of mine

PH23VOF143370
WP23H61181164
BH23P9B432829
PH23VOD105485   

dan

KMPX2

You hear stories but I have never meet anyone who has had someone try and steal there car with the vin number

bohog

I have a couple stories I'd like to share, on the lines of this subject.

About ten years ago at Iola Car Show, there was a 69 or 70 Hemi Road Runner parked not to far from were we had our cars parked. It was all original but well used. We had talked to the owner over a   few beers about our cars, several times over the course of the weekend. On the last day of the show he had parked his car next to ours. There were several people and the owner standing around the front of his car, leaning into the engine compartment, when an argument and scuffle broke out. By the time we got their to see what was up,three guys had took off running. Turns out as these guys were leaning into the engine compartment with the owner talking about his car, when he noticed one of these guys had a stubby screwdriver and was trying to remove the fender tag off the car.

When you go to allot of local shows, you run into allot of the same cars at the same show. There's a guy who owns a 71 R/T very similar to mine. B5 blue, blue interior, with a white vinyl top. Except his car has a 4-speed and mine's got an auto trans with AC. I must have run into him at a least dozen differant shows over the last few years. I just saw him at a small show just a week ago, and he showed me the new radiator he had to buy. A few weeks ago, someone broke into his shop and stole the original radiator out of his car. Cut the hoses, unbolted the shroud and left it hanging on the fan. Didn't do any damage to the car or steal anything else, just the radiator. He thinks they stole it because it would be the correct radiator for 71 B & E body Hemi 4-speed cars. He figures someone   got his name and the city he lives in, off the card you place in the windshield when you attend a show. Got his address, found where he lived and ripped him off. Seems like allot of trouble for a 30 year old radiator. But I've seen these go for over $2000.00 on Ebay.

Just show's the extreme's people will go to.

Charger_Fan

Wow, that last story's pretty crazy. Hopefully that radiator sprouted a leak on their first time out. >:D

So, is that guy going to be more descreet in the future?

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

KMPX2

I have a story that is alittle off-topic. A buddy of mine in Canada has a 70 Challenger red in color bb/auto car. He knows a guy in the local police. One day the cop goes to work & finds out they have just brougt in a 70 HEMI Challenger that is red with the vin tags gone. They are just about to look for the numers else where on the car when he says I know this car. My buddy gets a call to come pick up his car. He goes down there in his car to show them it is not his. How honest is that.

#s Matching

Thanx for the feed back and interesting stories.  There is a fine line between precaution or paranoia.  If your car is parked on the street or at a show and shine your VIN is visible.  If your crusin, then your plate is visible. I think that either way, if that person has the resources and if they want to track you down they can.  The best thing you can likely do is in invest in a good security system and get insurance,  ;)
#s Matching - 74 Charger SE, 74 Charger Rallye, 69 Charger R/T

ChargerRob

Interesting reading guys. Thanks.  :thumbs:
Mighty Mean Mexican Mopar

FastbackJon

Vins are on teh fender tag too, of '69 and later mopars.

With my '66 and '67 though, no one can see the VIN unless they have the guts to open the door.
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV