News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

lokar kickdown linkage

Started by Silver R/T, July 12, 2006, 11:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver R/T

how hard is it to install it on 440/727.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Rolling_Thunder

it is not very difficult...        we go with the Bushalon (sp?) kits at the shop -
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Runner

ive got the lokar on 2 of my cars and most likly will have it on 3, it works fantastic with the ar engineering throttle bracket     i no longer use that throttle sping set up btw.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

kamkuda

Very simple, Bracket as shown above and a bracket on the tranny,  The adjustment can be made at the carb for appropriate line pressure

Silver R/T

I would need longer throttle cable if I go with that bracket
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

whitehatspecial

I have a question regarding the Lokar vs. Bouchillon kit. The Bouchillon kit includes a return spring at the transmission pressure lever and the Lokar does not. Is a return spring necessary and if so why doesn't Lokar include one ?
Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

MedPhys

Medium frustration connecting to kickdown lever, the rest is easy. It attaches to one of the preexisting transmission bolts.  I bought the throttle cable/ kickdown cable bracket for the lokar cables that fits on the performer rpm manifold (kickdown and throttle).  I think I got it all from mancini.  For me the most difficult part was attatching the cable to the kickdown lever.  The headers (tti) make it hard to fit my fingers and wrenches in there.  I was finally able to do it though. 

John_Kunkel

Quote from: whitehatspecial on July 16, 2006, 08:32:52 PM
I have a question regarding the Lokar vs. Bouchillon kit. The Bouchillon kit includes a return spring at the transmission pressure lever and the Lokar does not. Is a return spring necessary and if so why doesn't Lokar include one ?

The spring is a good idea, it helps adjustments when the engine isn't running. Once thte engine is running and the transmission is in a forward gear the internal pressure will push the lever forward.

A comment on the Lokar :

Is it easy to install? Yes.

Is it easy to install correctly? Maybe not so easy, especially if the installer isn't familiar with the overall purpose of throttle pressure; the Lokar instructions are vague and generic.

The Bouchillon setup is more expensive but it's designed for use on Mopars.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

bluesfool

QuoteFor me the most difficult part was attatching the cable to the kickdown lever.  The headers (tti) make it hard to fit my fingers and wrenches in there.

Yep...I had the same trouble...nothing to stop anyone from getting one though. I like the Lokar setup MUCH better than the stock setup.

kamkuda

Quote from: John_Kunkel on July 19, 2006, 03:00:52 PM
Quote from: whitehatspecial on July 16, 2006, 08:32:52 PM

Is it easy to install correctly? Maybe not so easy, especially if the installer isn't familiar with the overall purpose of throttle pressure; the Lokar instructions are vague and generic.

This is what I found too,:iagree: originally I did not  have a good adjustment.  It had soft transistions between 1-2.  you have to take into account the gap that is built into the little gray bracket that attaches to the stud on your throttle.

MedPhys

Since we are talking about the lokar kickdown cable, and I am concerned that mine isn't adjusted properly.

Would someone explain the proper adjustment of the lokar kickdown cable, and position of the kickden lever when at idle.

bluesfool

The lever on the transmission should be all the way to the rear when the throttle is wide open. Have someone get in the car and put the gas pedal all the way to the floor while you adjust the cable...the transmission lever and the throttle linkage should both max out at the same time. The trans lever should be forward at idle; mine has a fair amount of play in it at idle though...don't know if they're all like that.

John_Kunkel

There is no requirement that the trans lever be full back at WOT, adjusting it that way will often result in late part throttle upshifts.

The goal of the operation of any throttle pressure setup, linkage or cable, is to have the transmission lever full forward at idle and near full back at WOT; there should be no slack or lost motion, the trans lever should start to move rearward as soon as the throttle opens.

With generic cable setups like the Lokar, the trick to proper operation is to match the travel of the carb attach point to the travel of the lever at the attach point. Given the difference in carb levers and the variety of trans lever lengths, this can become a real chore. With the Bouchillon both levers are provided so the travel is properly matched.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.