News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Venting, won of those days...

Started by dads_69, August 18, 2005, 02:46:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dads_69

Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

Charger4404spd

Well sounds like to me you know what to do here! Good Luck!
As far as the wife is concerned remember, "Its easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!"

41husk

You need to do what makes you happy, life is to short,  If you have the talent and desire you should run your own shop.  Good luck!  Oh please don't tell my wife I gave you this advice :icon_smile_sad: :rotz:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Drop Top

Once you have worked for yourself. You will NEVER be happy working for someone else. You'll always be thinking in the back of your mind. That the money your making for them you could be making for yourself. Not only that but you don't have to please anybody but your customers. Even if you move into a management job. You have to worry about satisfying the customer and the ones that be. If you know what I mean. Then you will never be able to really do what you want that makes you happy. Because you'll be to busy in the office all the time. Stick to your guns. If your wife doesn't like it now. She will really hate you working for someone else. She'll miss all the extras that come with the advantages of being self employed. If you go to work for someone else. You'll still be working out of your home if for nothing else your own satisfaction. Not to mention you probably won't be making as much and you'll need to do extra work to satisfy the money you bring home now. Some women don't understand what has to be done and you will never satisfy them. No mater what you do. Sounds like she needs a reality check to me. Doing this kind of work is very satisfying. My good friend and mentor always told me. "In this line of work you get paid more then once. The first time is the money. Witch is what we all need to survive. Then you get paid everytime someone give that car a compliment. That my friend is the bigest payment of all." Bill was a very talented man and no words where ever so true. You know what I mean. Don't you.

Like I said before. Stick to your guns. If your wife truly loves you she'll stand by you and support you. Otherwise there is plenty of women to take her place. They'll be knocking on your door. Allot of women what a self starting man sensable man, with the courage to go after what he wants and make a name for himself. Hang in there buddy. You can do it! Your right, I know exactly where your coming from.

41husk

drop top, any update on the Boyd Cottington job offer?
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

KMPX2

You have to do what makes you happy

Drache

Quote from: KMPX2 on August 18, 2005, 11:29:15 AM
You have to do what makes you happy

This is the simpliest way to put it. I don't mean to dump on your wife but she should stand beside you in matters that you make you happy and more comfortable in life....
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

LahTera

Wow!  That's a toughie! 

I had my own business and quit to work for someone else because it did take too much time to run my own.  I had to be billable for at least 8 hours a day, and then spend more hours doing my books and stuff.  Is that why you have less time with the family?  Maybe you could hire someone (or your wife) to do the books and get more time with the family?

IOW, I can relate to what your wife is saying, but I also believe that if you want to work this way, you should.  All you have to do then is find a way to fix the problem your wife is having with you not having more time with the family.

BTW, which body shop do you own?  Maybe we can make a deal ... in a year or two when I have $ for the Coronet to be done.  Russ is the 2nd owner and has all the body parts, but we have never had the money to put it all together yet.  Wondering what it would run, and you know there's always hidden stuff you never find til you start doing it!

But we're always having a hard time finding a good body person around here!

LahTera

BigBlackDodge

All the rich people I know work don't work for someone else........................ :icon_smile_cool:

.........and yes I work for someone else :icon_smile_blackeye:, but I work on the side for myself!

BBD

MichaelRW

At least to me there is only one way to go and that is to own your own business. The tax benefits alone are worth it. You can buy a new truck and write off a good chunk of depreciation as long as you use it in business. Restore a Charger and write off the whole thing as long as you use it as a promotion vehicle for your business.

Surround yourself with the best employees that you can and you will have the time to spend with your family.
A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF.........

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Charger4404spd on August 18, 2005, 05:46:51 AM
Well sounds like to me you know what to do here! Good Luck!
As far as the wife is concerned remember, "Its easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!"
:iagree: to both. :icon_smile_big:

I like LahTera's idea of having your wife help with the books, that way she may feel more included & also see more of what you're dealing with.

Good luck with whichever way you decide.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Ponch ®

Quote from: dads_69 on August 18, 2005, 02:46:01 AM
I had to vent to strangers somewhat, much easier. Any input is welcomed. I've been a bodyman/painter for over 20 years now, owned my own shop the last ten years since wife and I have been together, now she says *don't own a shop ever again*! To much time away from family she says, I want to be a provider I tell her, she says be a *company man*, *damn* I hate that word! I want to be my own boss again, she says no way. I actually love doing bodywork/painting. The satisfaction is   unspeakable. *Drop Top* can understand where it is I'm coming from. I work for a shop now, but I'm wanting to move on and be my own boss, wife says NO! Crap a purple brick!!! Sorry, but unless you've been   in my shoes, you wouldn't understand. I moved back here to Alaska in Sept' 25th 1993 I had honestly $20 in my pocket, now I have cash, enough said. I work for my money now, no cheating or bad deals what so ever. I have two kids, house cars trucks, everything a guy is supposed to have I guess, except one thing, being a proud member of a tax payer and having 7 chargers sitting out in front of his shop and people enjoying the work that he does and living life, somebody in here once said, *cause hes in a wheelchair*,maybe he bought Danes cloned Daytona, lifes to short, live life to its fullest, be all that you can be!   Am I pissed off, yeah, will I divorce her, no, fight for what I believe in, yes!
Mark (aka) chargermark69 & AlaskanCharger

do what you gotta do. The day the wife gets a job and starts providing most of your household income, THEN she can tell you what's the best career path for you. Like I always say, as long as you're the one that brings home the bacon, all she needs to worry about is feeding the kids, keeping the house clean, and make sure dinner is ready when you get home.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Iceman on August 18, 2005, 05:19:07 PM
do what you gotta do. The day the wife gets a job and starts providing most of your household income, THEN she can tell you what's the best career path for you. Like I always say, as long as you're the one that brings home the bacon, all she needs to worry about is feeding the kids, keeping the house clean, and make sure dinner is ready when you get home.
That's all fine in theory...but you're not married yet. :icon_smile_big:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Lowprofile

Wow!   :icon_smile_shock: You must not get laid much with an attitude like that. :rotz:

dads   69,
Marriage is a partnership, and two people who truly love each other can work their differences out...most of the time. It sounds like your wife likes the feeling of "security" of your company job. Sounds like she needs a lot of reassurance and a little time to come around to the idea. Don't rush it....Rome wasn't built in a day! Good Luck Bro!
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

RD

iceman is a product of the 40's and 50's :D

i dont have some grand advice for you dads, plenty has been given.   i will just hope and pray everything works out for you.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Ponch ®

Quote from: Lowprofile on August 18, 2005, 06:38:17 PM

Wow!  :icon_smile_shock: You must not get laid much with an attitude like that. :rotz:

actually, chicks seem to appreciate my brutal honesty, cuz they know im not pretending to be one of those sensitive male feminists.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Silver R/T

it depends on profit too. if you open your own place would there be profit as much as youre making now, then getting money back that you spent opening shop. And if theres too many shops in your area (like my city) you might not get enough work and then youre screwed. As long as it pays for you living and you got enough for Charger and family why bother...People can never have enough, greedy.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

LahTera

QuoteLike I always say, as long as you're the one that brings home the bacon, all she needs to worry about is feeding the kids, keeping the house clean, and make sure dinner is ready when you get home.

You make it sound easy!  Taking care of kids is the hardest job anyone could ever have, I tell ya'!  I'd rather be working a job!  LOL!

LahTera

Drop Top

Raising kids and holding down a job isn't hard if you do it right. I raised 4 and my wife and I both worked. The trick is to work together and make sure they respect you at a very early age. Then as they grow older give then responsibilities and reword them for jobs well done. All 4 are doing very well for themselves now. The 2 girls have babies (one with twins) and are doing great. They are raising there families the way they where raised.

Steve P.

Wow,,,, you can sure tell MOJO isn't married too!!  Good luck with that in the future Mojo.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

emily

I agree with DropTop, Mark, and some of the others bringing out the point that marriage is a partnership, and that perhaps your self employment should be a joint venture with your wife's bookkeeping skills coming into play as well.  You are both very busy, but to get your new business off the ground will take both of you working together.  You are both talented people in different areas, pool your resources and go for it.  Both of you have kids to raise and are working hard to do it.  Bring her into your plan is my best advice.

Great insights, DropTop. 

em