News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Caster pics please.

Started by Orange_Crush, July 13, 2006, 09:56:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orange_Crush

I want to build some casters for my Charger to roll on once I pull the suspension and such. can anyone give me some (reasonably) detailed pics of where they attached their casters to the car and/or point me to some kind of plan that I can use to build them? Thanks in advance.
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

4402tuff4u

I would go to Sears, auto parts store or a local auto body supply shop and take a look. All you probably need is some steel angle and some good load bearing casters - each wheel caster will have to be rated at atleast to sustain a 250 lbs load capacity.
You might be surprised that after buying the casters and steel, you probably won't be able to build them for what they sell for. Check it out well before you commit yourself on buying the materials. :yesnod:
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

4402tuff4u

Rack

Quote from: Orange_Crush on July 13, 2006, 09:56:57 AM
I want to build some casters for my Charger to roll on once I pull the suspension and such. can anyone give me some (reasonably) detailed pics of where they attached their casters to the car and/or point me to some kind of plan that I can use to build them? Thanks in advance.

I'm also building a car dolly. I got the idea from this site...

http://www.69hemi.com/index.html

Here's a link to where he talks about the car dolly ...

Here's a pic of his car on the dolly...

69hemi is a member here as well (just FYI).

Here's a caption he left talking about the dolly...

QuoteA quick word about carts. As you can see in this picture I built the cart for my car out of some old 4x4 lumber and four castors my Father-In-Law gave me. My total investment was about $20.00 and it has moved this car for a bout 10 trips and other people's cars even more. Just make them sturdy and simple and they will work great!

I bought the 4" heavy duty casters (with brakes) from Lowe's. They also sell the 4x4 brackets as well.

4402tuff4u

I thought he was talking about the ones that go on each wheel, but reading the post again, now I know you mean building a large one. The cost at that point should'nt be that prohibitive to achieve. Each caster should still hold 300 - 375 lbs each!

Rack

Quote from: 4402tuff4u on July 13, 2006, 12:20:33 PM
I thought he was talking about the ones that go on each wheel, but reading the post again, now I know you mean building a large one. The cost at that point should'nt be that prohibitive to achieve. Each caster should still hold 300 - 375 lbs each!

I didn't even think of the individual ones. Probably more stable then the car dolly, but the car dolly is easy to build and it's cheap.  :yesnod:

You can get some straps and "wrap" the charger to the dolly like 69hemi did in those pics. Maybe even cut some type or ridge or something on the 4x4 to prevent it from slipping.

I just got my materials for this yesterday so I'll be putting it together today.

doctorpimp

'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

Mfr426

Just a comment on the Car Skates in the first set of pictures. I have them and they work but moving your car takes a good amount of weight. To move it easily requires two bodies for sure.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike R in Reading