News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Water Injection

Started by SirNik73, July 14, 2006, 04:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirNik73

My friend was telling me about water injection for my Mercedes Turbo Diesel. So I've been reading about it on-line. I read an article on Wikipedia about water injection and they said that Chrysler introduced water injection on its large displacement engines. I was wondering what engines were they talking about? the article also said it caused the engine be able to have high compression with lower octane fuel.

here is the link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_injection_%28engines%29
anyone know anything about it?
1973 Charger SE
1973 Charger Parts car
1968 Couger... got this one for free! and it looks like it was free :)
1983 Toyota Tercel 4x4 Daily Driver
1984 Mercedes-Benz 300SD

Wakko

A light water injection will cool the cylinders down and allow lower octane fuel, but I've never heard of this used in normally aspirated engines.  Turbocars have used it for years (along with alcohol, methanol and other injection methods).  Perhaps someone else can shed some light on a car that had it for NA use.
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

SirNik73

Wakko, Thats what I thought, I thought there needed to be some kine of forced induction...
Here is another site I've been getting info from, http://www.turbomirage.com/water.html
are you using water injection on your GN?
1973 Charger SE
1973 Charger Parts car
1984 Mercedes-Benz 300SD

dodge freak

No it does not have to be a turbo, gosh ,just 20 years ago they were all over or was it 25? Anyways it sits on top of the carb and sprays water or washer fluid down the carb when the vacuum drop. The motors lost a little power but they did not ping, not sure why everybody stop making them, might have been the clean air act back then. It was in all the old hot rod car caft mags  back in the late 70's early 80's. Thats when those 11-1 60's motors were still around. Some people made there own but if the motor got too much water it would lock up. They used a windshield washer pump and a push button inside the car and did it themselves when they hear the motor ping. People used to cool off their brakes that way and also used the pump to spray water on the tires for burn outs.

Bob

It also made for a more complete cobustion in the chamber. JC Whitney sold these kits for years. I use to work part time at a service station in the late seventies and seen plenty.

SirNik73

Quote from: dodge freak on July 17, 2006, 11:32:49 AM
No it does not have to be a turbo, gosh ,just 20 years ago they were all over or was it 25?

lol, I don't mean to make you feel old, but 20 years ago the only water injection I knew about involved the proper use of the Potty  :moon:

I'm only 22

any one have any pictures of these setups?
1973 Charger SE
1973 Charger Parts car
1984 Mercedes-Benz 300SD

dodge freak

Hey I know I am old, its not bad now but later on  :eyes:  No sorry I don't have a picture but I flip though a popular hot rodding mag from 6-1983 and Holley is showing one in their add along with other stuff, its in a box that says Holley water injection. Maybe if you look on e-bay you find one sometime. I think eddy made them too. Maybe somebody else could help you. I was 19 in 1983 and thats right about the company's like Holley stop making them. I almost positive that clean air bill killed it, Holley also had something that you could increase or decrease the jet sizes as you drove , from the drivers seat. That went out at the same time.

dodge freak

I found a ad for Edelbrock it was called Vara-Jection , eddys name for water injection in Car craft 4-1982 for $69 -that was a lot of money back then.A holley 3310 750 carb was $79 . Eddy also sold a pan evacuator to get rid of the pcv. All this great stuff was gone a few years later. Well not everything so its ok, but with those water injection units people were running a 11-1 motor on 91 pump gas. I even seen a ad to learn how to make your own alcohol fuels  for $7.95 wish I would have gotten that.

John_Kunkel

I've  run the Vari-Jection water injection on normally aspirated high compression motors and it works really well to eliminate audible pinging but my main problem was the tiny orifices in the  aluminum injection jet clogging with corrosion/mineral deposits; demineralized water helps.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.