News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cam size or ignition?

Started by sext7366, July 15, 2006, 01:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sext7366

My 383 has been run over a hundred miles now and today I noticed that from off idle to about half throttle the engine runs rough.  I did put in a 230/236 cam so this might be normal.  I also have elec ignition headers and a single plane intake.  I have never had a setup like this so I am unsure as to how "normal" this might actually be.  Once I am at cruise or basically stop accelerating its fine.  Full throttle is also ok.  To be more specific it feels like it is surging...it starts going then backs off then starts again etc.

dodge freak

Did you jet the carb and what carb do you have. If its a Holley you may want to go up 2 jet sizes and see if it helps. Eddys are not for hot motors like yours, but a rod or jet change may help.

sext7366

Yep I have a 600cfm edelbrock.  I have been looking for an 800 carb but dont have 1 yet.

dodge freak

Well you want to check with Eddy's tech line, but I seen on here that Eddy carbs. are not for low vacuum -under 16"- motors. Check out Holley-the HP's are great but somebody just got one new and it cost $500 , so it may be too much for you. Be careful on e-bay lots claim their carb is HP but all it has is the profrom body and standard metering blocks. You still might be able to change the jets and rods and get your to work ok.