News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

timing chain gear 440

Started by charger01, July 15, 2006, 06:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger01

After the rebuild of my 440, the car ran about a half hour and ended up losing the timing chain cam sprocket.  I assumed the shop that rebuilt it had forgotten the washer.  I pulled the motor , had the heads checked out and dropped the oil pan today.  The cam sprocket washer was laying in the pan in 4 pieces.  Has anyone else seen this happen before?  What could of caused this,  I don't want it to happen again.  Over torque?   ??? ???

Should the crank sprocket be back as far as possible?  It also seems like the oil slinger is pushing against the timing chain cover when you try to install it?

John_Kunkel

The correct cam bolt washer is hardened and slightly conical so overtorquing it could cause it to break. The book calls for 35 ft. lbs. (I also use Loctite)

The crank sprocket should all the way back against the crank shoulder, if the slinger hits the cover check for a bent cover or an oil seal that isn't installed correctly.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

charger01

I simply pushed the crank gear back a little to hit flush with the crank and the oil slinger and timing cover went on with no problem.  Any other scenarios on possiblitlies of why the washer would break.  Could a loose dampner put some stress on it in some way?

firefighter3931

Quote from: charger01 on July 16, 2006, 04:37:51 PM
  Could a loose dampner put some stress on it in some way?

Not likely.

The washer probably broke because it was overtorqued as John suggested. Make sure you replace the washer with a correct piece and have the crown facing out. Use loketite as well.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs