News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Car died going 60 mph??? Please Help!

Started by i c e b l u e, July 16, 2006, 08:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

i c e b l u e

We were coming back from a mopar car show at boon county fairgrouds, in belvidere WI. Being on a country road I decided to punch it from approx 40 mph until i hit 4000 rpm about a second later the car died. So I threw it into neutral and continued to coast to the next farm driveway so I could pull off the road. We the spent over an hour trying to get it started without success. Here is what i currently know(or think I know) the car has both compression and gas. I know this because I can see the fuel in the glass leses on the demon(750 vacume secondarys w/electric choke) Also the accelerator pump is functioning normally. Tjis leads me to believe the problem is electrical. I noticed that the balast resister was cracked so I replaced that with no success. So as of right now my charger is out in the middle of nowhere sitting on a farm untill i can fix it. Does anyone know what my problem is or the most efficient way to locate it. tomorrow i would like to go and rescue my charger bright and early. So far my plan is to first pull a plug and ground it while turning the engine over to see if I have a spark. if I don't have spark t could be the electric pickup module in the distributer which I have already replaced once :flame: but i also have a spare. however if it is not that module how can I check the remain components. coil, regulator, ignition box, ignition switch, or anything else that it could be. I am currently running a new(less than 3000 mile) mp electronic ignition with the chrome box, and a mp coil. The engine will turn over but will not pop, so any personal experiences or professional help will be greatly appreciated. I am only 18 and I am no electical technition but I am willing to learn and try

thanks marcus

original72

bring a paper clip with you to check the coil.... put the ignition key in the run position and ground the coil wire.... disconnect the reluctor wire from the distributor and ground both terminals of the end not in the distributor together... if you get spark its the box or pickupor wiring .... if no spark its the coil....

i c e b l u e

thanks original72 i will try that tomorrow isthere anyway to distinguish between the box or pickup

grouseman

You may have broken one of the wires on the coil pickup.  The vac advance mechanism moves the plate and the wires as well, which may break.  Happened to me once.  Just check for infinite resistance at the distributor 2-wire plug, indicating an open circuit. 

RD

good be a timing chain gone south.  did ya hear a pop or anything?  I doubt it, but ya never know.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander