News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

painting plastic parts

Started by 66supercharger, July 16, 2006, 11:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

66supercharger

it seems that dodge mixed something in with the plastic when it was new so that when it would be painted 30 years down the road it would instantly fish eye. J/k i have had some trouble getting the paint not to run or fish eye on any of my interior plastic parts. (for the most part on the gague cover) my questions is what kind of paint should i be using (brand & type) any suggestions on how i should be preping this befor painting.

2Gunz

They make that plastic paint called "Fusion" and you can get it at Pep Boys or Auto Zone.
Prolly anywhere really.

Ive painted my dash in the past with regular old rattle can paint and it was fine.
Held up to 7 years as a daily driver like that.

I think you could paint the plastic parts with just about anything and it would be fine.

Sure you are just not putting it on to thick?

And is the surface clean?

I use a scuff pad.

Then wipe it off with a dry towel.

Then use a towel with thinner on it.

Then paint.

If the air has alot of dust in it or the rag or towel is leaving part of itself on the piece, then I use a tac cloth just before painting.

2Gunz

As I pressed the post button it dawned on me that this has happened to me to.

But not on the plastic parts.... the 2 inside metal trim pieces above the doors would have areas that the paint would not stick to.

I painted the damn things like 5 times each.

The solution for me was to paint it with a sandable primer first, sand then paint, being very carful not to touch it with my hands.

I think the sweat and oil from my hands was messing it up.

After that it was gone.

MonsterMopars

auto parts stores sell true interior dye in a can, and this works well.  Wash with soap and water before hand, and then paint it.  Aplly as little as possible, because it will hdie the grain and that really makes it look bad.
Mopar Auctions at www.bidmonsteronline.com

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

4402tuff4u

hit it with a good plastic primer. Even the proffesionals get fish eye in there paint jobs. When my body shop guy started painting the rims to my Charger, they immediately started to fish eye, he wiped them with a alcohol or something like it, let them dry/heat up under a heat lamp and the first coat you could'nt even see any paint on the rims it was so light. He kept applying the paint in that matter and it never fish eyed after that. :yesnod: He also said it happens when there is allot of static electricity in the area.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Silver R/T

use wax and grease remover to prep
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Rack

Would all these methods, fusion in particular, work on a grill?

Where can you purchase fusion paint?

Should you still use a plastic primer when using fusion?

BigBlockSam

i bought the fusion paint at auto zone. hey Rack, i went on your website , cool site. i'm not gonna use primer on the plastic part of the grill. i believe the fusion  paint has to go on the plastic directly. i'm just gonna make sure i sand it REAL GOOD. seeeeeeeeeeeee yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Rack

Quote from: BigBlockSam on July 22, 2006, 11:40:42 AM
i bought the fusion paint at auto zone. hey Rack, i went on your website , cool site. i'm not gonna use primer on the plastic part of the grill. i believe the fusion  paint has to go on the plastic directly. i'm just gonna make sure i sand it REAL GOOD. seeeeeeeeeeeee yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Thanks, BBS.

One section of my grill is no good so I'm gonna sand that one down and practice on it. I guess that piece will come in handy afterall.  :yesnod:

Wakko

If you clean and prep the plastic, it shouldn't fish eye.  I have been using SEM paint on my Fury interior with zero negative effects.
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

SeattleCharger

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.