News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I made a big error!!

Started by raull, July 17, 2006, 11:12:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raull

Need help in some information with an error i made.

I swapped out a rear end differential of a 1968 charger 273 to a ford ranger 373. Now my car vibrates. The only reason I did this was to make it positive, plus wanted to get the gear to 373. I regret doing this.

I am planning on putting back the old differential back on, hopefully. Or what type of differential can I put into it? My goal is to swap out the 383 engine and put in a rebuilt 440/727 mostly stock.

This is a sunday driver only What can I do?

dodge freak

The driveshaft angle is off, if you can get it right it be ok. A Ford Ranger, aren't those 4 cyc motors in it? It break in a week maybe in your car.

Nacho-RT74

Rings and pinions are still available around... why not to make the upgrade on the right way ?

Is not uncommon that driveshaft is balanced on one position... make a 180º turn to fit the other side to check if gets balance. Tech books in fact recomend make a a mark between driveshaft and axle yoke to be sure which side goes with which side to keep the balance when dissasebly and assembly again.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

raull

Yes thats what my dad told me. I need to put in a rear end that is big block 8cyl. but Me only being me made the big error.

raull

Update on vibration of car:

My dad finally got on the car to test it, he told me its not the driveshaft nor the yolk.
He said it is the flywheel, bolts are loose or one bolt ear is broken off. He stated to first try to  lift the car and look at the flywheel bolts.
I hope thats what it is.

P.S. I will still remove the ranger differential. thx for the advise here.

Rack

Quote from: raull on July 17, 2006, 10:13:06 PM
Update on vibration of car:

My dad finally got on the car to test it, he told me its not the driveshaft nor the yolk.
He said it is the flywheel, bolts are loose or one bolt ear is broken off. He stated to first try to  lift the car and look at the flywheel bolts.
I hope thats what it is.

P.S. I will still remove the ranger differential. thx for the advise here.

Sounds good, Raull. Keep us updated. I'm curious as to what you end up doing and what the fix ends up being.

73 Charger 440

Raull,

Is the rear you put in a 8.8" Ford? If so how well does it fit? (width wise)

raull

response!
I am not sure the dimensions, but it came off a 2000 ford ranger. I am not a mechanic, nor will I pretend I am. How can I check? if you tell me I will check.

73 Charger 440

Hey Raull,

I found this...

If you still have the tag on there it will say wether it is a 7.5 inch (Ring Gear Diameter) or a 8.8 inch... Theres some more information here http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Axles.html

Thanks.