News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MSD wires don't fit - multi-angle boots are too long!?

Started by Corellian Corvette, July 17, 2006, 09:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corellian Corvette

Putting my MSD ready to run and HEI-style wires.

Everything was going well until it came time to run the wires.

The custom-fit set I got has multi-angle boots on the end - the long grey kind.

There is no way these boots are going to fit! On the right side of the engine there isn't enough clearance between the shock-tower to even get them in!

Anyone else have this problem? Is there another set I need?

Thanks!

mikepmcs

Quote from: Corellian Corvette on July 17, 2006, 09:44:16 PM
Putting my MSD ready to run and HEI-style wires.

Everything was going well until it came time to run the wires.

The custom-fit set I got has multi-angle boots on the end - the long grey kind.

There is no way these boots are going to fit! On the right side of the engine there isn't enough clearance between the shock-tower to even get them in!

Anyone else have this problem? Is there another set I need?

Thanks!

Yes they will, I just did it saturday, same wires (8.5 super comps, right)and it was a pain in the butt.    They finally went on and I even have the taylor heat covers on them as well.  I have a 383 with headers and I now have a lot of cuts and bruises but those b@$tards finaly went on.  Don't give up, they will go on there!
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

dodge freak

Somebody needs to tell MSD to get some 90 degree wires ! They claim you can bend them 90 but its like only 80 and those boots are long. Morros 90 boots fit much better on my small block but they don't come black. Those boot covers were a good idea, my one boot burn and leak a while back ,MSD gave me 2 new ones but It took me a while too find what was wrong. Never though 6 month old wires could go bad. I like ready made wires cause custom made yourself are hard to do right. Either the resistance is too high or they are nosey. My subwoofers will pop with the rpm's.

Corellian Corvette

Well, I think I found the secret.

1. Bend the ends (you can get them pretty close to 90 if you try) :)
2. Silicone gel. Like bulb grease or dilectic grease.

Put some grease on the insides of the boots, and put some between your fingers and go all around the plug and POOF - they pop right on. Trying to put them on dry was the problem!

73chargers4404

I was looking at odering those tomarrow ,but know i dont know if im going with those or the accel 8.8 wires has anyone had those and had any poblems ?thanks

mikepmcs

Quote from: 73chargers4404 on July 19, 2006, 12:18:47 PM
I was looking at odering those tomarrow ,but know i dont know if im going with those or the accel 8.8 wires has anyone had those and had any poblems ?thanks

hang on i'll find the thread you have to read.  it was me just a couple weeks ago with alot of great input from the gurus on the board.  I now have a 750 Holley HP, MSD 7AL-2 box, 8251 MSD Coil, 8.5 super comp wires.  They sent me the wrong coil wire so i have an accel wire subbing in right now but will replace that as soon as i can get an msd wire.  I've been told accel is junk and considering all the people who have told me this on this site, I would believe them before anyone else.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

mikepmcs

here's one thread.  check out what firefighter ron says about accel about halfway down.  that was good enough for me not to buy them.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,15845.msg177765.html#msg177765
v/r
Mike

mikepmcs

ok here's the one you want to read.  just make sure you tell them if you have a spark plug type coil and regular socket type dist.  let's see if they get it right with you, they didn't with me. they sent me the regular socket(female)type coil wire like i knew they would even after i asked like 6 times.
good luck

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,15650.msg176986.html#msg176986

v/r
Mike

dodge freak

Call MSD they mailed me 2 wires for free cause one boot touch the header and burn. Maybe they send you the right coil wire. I was told its a good idea to change the coil wire every 6 months cause all the power for all 8 wires goes though it. Also hear that the coil should be change every year, not sure about that one,  but maybe.

mikepmcs

DF
I imagine that depends on how much you drive the car.  I'm in Maine so can't drive it but about 5 months(stretching it).. I can't see having to buy a new 8251 every year or so. Time will tell.  Did I thank you for all your help, if not I am now.  I just need to tune it now(pray for me).  I'm gonna check timing tonight to see that it's still around 36*. Then i'm cleaning it up for the next show in 3 weeks.  Don't worry, I'll be driving it in the meantime, just like to plug away at the mess I was dealt with little by little.  As soon as I get a 3.55 SG I'll be done with the mechanicals for the most part and start working on making it pretty.
I will call MSD as suggested.  I saw you wrote that in the other threads as well.  I just don't know what to say to those guys, they seem cold and it's summit that sent me the stuff not MSD directly.  I'll try though.
v/r
Mike

dodge freak

I got all my stuff from summitt too. Tell them the coil wire did not fit. Yeah I can't believe the coil will go bad that fast.  When you check the timing it should be close, if not your timing light is not working right . Mine from Sears won't work right if I use a CD coil like the 8251, I swap the stock one and then it work. You can time it by ear , keep advancing the timing until you see the motor shake a little and or slow down then back it off till its smooth again. With a timing light check it out you might see what I am talking about.

mikepmcs

ok i'm timing it right now, i got a dial timing light.  at 2500 it's right on about 37* if I go to 3000 it's ramps up to 40+  which rpm do i stop at??
i think i might need to back it off some?? ???

i'll try the ear method

dodge freak

You stop until it stops going higher, when you drive it you spin it faster than 3000. I use some ear muffs made for gun shotting, makes it easier. You may want to get some lighter springs in it so the advance comes in sooner, but if its too soon it might ping in high gear. Try one light one stock. there is two in it, they are not the easiest ti get out so you might want to get a MSD dist. I know $$ but there is always next year, at least we hope. You are welcome BTW , I am glad I was able to help you.

dodge freak

Forgot to say that time by ear deal is when the rpms are way up there 4000-4500. make sure its in park with nobody around and use some ear muffs.

mikepmcs

i just dialed it to 37* at 2800.  took it down the road and it doesn't ping or stumble, but when it's sitting every know and then i hear a metal sound, not often just every now and then.  it's kind of a weird sound like it's the motor bouncing off something.  read the other thread that i just posted to hewi.  it should be in your "replies to last post."
i need to learn how to tune this thing quick.  it's richy rich.
v/r
Mike

Corellian Corvette

That could be ping.

Rule of thumb - you want about 32 - 36deg TOTAL mechanical at 3000rpms (w/ Vac Advance turned off) *No more than that* for sure even if you don't hear anything. Even the guys at HotRod/Car Craft with their super professional machined engines you NEVER see them run more than 38deg.

Time to that and let the curb idle fall wherever it is.

Many people make the mistake of timing to idle but that makes no sence - who cares how much power you make at idle! :)

With the Vac Advance you'll get that plus 16 or whatever your vac advance is set for. That's fine because vac advance is only at light load part throttle, cruise, etc. and is good for gas mileage.

If you're getting 37deg at 2800 with the vac advance connected, you're probably WAY too low.

Good luck!