News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Two questions, Timing and kickdown lever adjustment

Started by MedPhys, July 19, 2006, 10:17:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MedPhys

Timing:

I read on 4secondsflat.com that the engine power doesn't benefit from more than 34* of max. timing.  However, on this forum and others 36*- 38* seems to be th etalked about norm.  I just dialed in my Holley pro strip system , and phased the distributor to use 34* timing.  Is this a mistake, and should I rephase the distributor so I can get a max. advance of 38*, or will I be ok?

Timing curves  with this phasing:

RPM      Adv1     Adv2                       RPM     Adv1     Adv2
500        18*       18*                      6500      34*       34*
1000      20*       21*                      7000      34*       34*
1500      25*       30*
2000      30*       34*
2500      34*       36*
3000      34*       36*
3500      34*       36*
4000      34*       35*
4500      34*       35*
5000      34*       35*
5500      34*       35*
6000      34*       34*

As you can see in Adv2, I can't raise the timing to 36* for the whole rpm range, and I am not knowledgable enough to know if decreasing the advance at higher rpm is detrimental to performance or the engine itself.

Kickdown lever:

What is a good method for setting the kickdown without driving the car?  I guess I am asking on how to find a good initial starting point?

Thanks,

David Piantino

grouseman

Each engine combo is different, yours may like 34, somebody else's 38.  You have to trial and error it to find out. 

How well does the engine turn over when starting hot with 18 initial? 

MedPhys

I haven't gotten that far enough to get it fully warmed up.  I start it and run it for five minutes, checking for leaks, and when I give it a little gas to raise the rpm, something doesn't sound right, but I think I needed to bring in more timing.  I haven't tried it since adjusting the curve.  Also, it seems like my secondary fuel bowl isn't filling so I am chasing that problem.  By initial I mean at 500 rpm it has 18*.  I don't use a start ratard.  About 1.5 turns and it fires right up.

Will track testing be the only way to tell if it needs more advance than 34*?

Plumcrazy

Quote from: MedPhys on July 19, 2006, 10:17:09 AM

Kickdown lever:

What is a good method for setting the kickdown without driving the car?  I guess I am asking on how to find a good initial starting point?

Thanks,

With the carb at curb idle and the transmission linkage disconnected, pull the transmission throttle linkage forward.   The shaft on the carb should be at the rear of the slot on the linkage.
There should be no gap at the rear of the slot.  That should be real close to where it ends up after you drive it.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

MedPhys

I forgot to mention I have a lokar kickdown cable.  I read somewhere that the lever should be adjusted so the car won't start in gear, only park and neutral.  Can anyone validate this?

John_Kunkel

The socalled kickdown cable has nothing to do with what gear the car will start in, the Neutral Safety Switch in the transmission controls that.

Adjusting the Lokar cable setup is a crapshoot, if the travel of the carb attach point doesn't match the travel of the transmission lever it will never work correctly; such is the nature of generic parts.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.