News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bringing a car across the border?

Started by Goobzilla, August 18, 2005, 04:08:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goobzilla

Just thought I'd ask the board how hard it is to go to Canada to buy a car and bring it back across the border.  Any special papers or info that streamlines the process.  Living in WA I see some pretty good "Canuck Mobiles" but thought I'd check the experience of others before I commit to anything.

Thanks for the info,

Ron

426wedge

I have done it twice. There were no problems either time. Just make sure you have your paperwork. All you have to do is fill out a form. It is better to come across at a smaller boarder crossing.  The people seem a litlle nicer and layed back. Good luck.
The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic feet!!!!!!!!!

KMPX2

That is big time true. I trailered a car into Canada forthe Speed Sport Show one year. Coming back into the USA they gave us alkinds of problems. They could not understand why we did not drive the car. They kept tells us we were trying to sneak it in to the country. They had us there for 10 hours even thou we had all of the paperwork for the car (title you name it ). They damaged the car( nothing you can do) they are not held at fault for damage. Took for ever to get them to call the DMV and prove the car was from the USA

bull

Quote from: KMPX2 on August 18, 2005, 07:09:41 PM
That is big time true. I trailered a car into Canada forthe Speed Sport Show one year. Coming back into the USA they gave us alkinds of problems. They could not understand why we did not drive the car. They kept tells us we were trying to sneak it in to the country. They had us there for 10 hours even thou we had all of the paperwork for the car (title you name it ). They damaged the car( nothing you can do) they are not held at fault for damage. Took for ever to get them to call the DMV and prove the car was from the USA

:iagree:

Since 9/11 it has become a pain in the butt to move cars over the border if you just bought it or it's on a trailer. My brother- and sister-in-law tried to haul a Mustang to my brother-in-law's dad's house in Abbotsford a few years ago on a trailer and it turned into an hours-long ordeal. Finally they made him leave the Mustang at the border and he took the empty trailer up to visit. They left the trailer and then he had to drive the Mustang all the way back to Portland while his wife drove the pickup. They refused to allow the Mustang into Canada, I think because the registration had lapsed. But still he had the title and all the other paperwork proving that he owned it.

I think you'd save yourself a lot of grief if you just buy one within your own country.

Goobzilla

This is all good info, thanks guys.  Sounds like a big ol' hassle and I'll probably pass on anything up north.

Ron

bullit68

why not talk to the customs people themselves?they'll tell you everything you need to make it go smoothly.i bought a charger in salem oregon and brought it back to canada about a year and a half ago.all i had to do was fax a copy of the title to them 72 hours in advance of me coming across.when i did get to the border,all i had to do was show them the title, receipt,pay the tax and i was on my way.took about 15 minutes total.i'd do it again in a heartbeat.

70plumrt

the real problem is finding the proper phone number for the all the info...
i had two exported from the states to canada, requiring the proper title, bill of sale and 72 hours notice of export (or $400 usd fine)
I had to wait 6 weeks for a transferable registration to be valid, while in canada it takes a day, for my 69!
also you are supposed to export mon-fri 7-4, so when my bro picked up 68 on a sunday i guess the guy was new, cause he just waved him through at small Sarnia border :icon_smile:
if it's the car you love i'd say do it
of course you are paying customs fees and taxes
and canada is know for their snow plows so even if the boby is ok...the frame may nned more duct tape! :rotz:

Shakey