News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How should I proceed. (now with pics)

Started by Orange_Crush, July 19, 2006, 09:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orange_Crush

I'm starting the disassembly on my Charger and am gonna start with the front end.  How should I proceed (its a '70)?  I already have the hood off and engine out.  Where do I go from here.  I was figuring I'd start pulling things off in this order:

1. Remove front Valance
2. Remove Grille and headlight door assembly.
3. Headlight door motor
4. Remove front bumper and supports.
5. Remove headlights and attachment hardware.
6. Remove Fenders.

What do y'all think?   
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

Nacho-RT74

on 3rd gens it is easier first grilles then bumpers and the rest to get better access to valance and shields bolts, then the rest.

Since 70 is same kind of bumper, maybe would it be the same ? I don't know
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

bull

A lot depends on how things are attached to other things. On my 68 I pulled the bumper and grill first, then the valance. I'm not sure on the '70s but on the '68 the grill and headlights all come out as one.

BigBlockSam

only pull off what you have to.   :yesnod:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Orange_Crush

Quote from: bull on July 21, 2006, 12:00:36 AM
A lot depends on how things are attached to other things. On my 68 I pulled the bumper and grill first, then the valance. I'm not sure on the '70s but on the '68 the grill and headlights all come out as one.

On the '70, it appears that the headlight doors and grill come off as a unit, but the lights themselves are attached to the core support.

I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

Plumcrazy

Quote from: Orange_Crush on July 21, 2006, 08:20:16 AM
Quote from: bull on July 21, 2006, 12:00:36 AM

On the '70, it appears that the headlight doors and grill come off as a unit, but the lights themselves are attached to the core support.

The headlights are attached to the fenders on a 70.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

4402tuff4u

How about some pic's OC? to see what you are tackeling. ???
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Orange_Crush

Quote from: 4402tuff4u on July 21, 2006, 12:01:10 PM
How about some pic's OC? to see what you are tackeling. ???

Ask and ye shall receive..

Orange_Crush

'nudder

Orange_Crush

'nudder

Orange_Crush

last one

4402tuff4u

Nice Charger bro!! Pretty clean! Is it number matching, options, etc... Are you disassembling for a total restoration? You, especially with a 70 should get the "Project Charger" book. It helps and will answer your question that started this post. The book is about restoring a 70 Charger!
Again, nice Charger! :2thumbs:
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Orange_Crush

Quote from: 4402tuff4u on July 21, 2006, 01:56:54 PM
Nice Charger bro!! Pretty clean! Is it number matching, options, etc... Are you disassembling for a total restoration? You, especially with a 70 should get the "Project Charger" book. It helps and will answer your question that started this post. The book is about restoring a 70 Charger!
Again, nice Charger! :2thumbs:

I've already got the book.

The car is an all original car and was a one-owner when I bought it.  It was a car built for sale in California, but it wasn't sold there because it didn't have ECS so the car was driven from California to Monroe, NC and sold at a dealership there.  I've been after this car since 1986 and finally bought it 3 years ago.  Don't let the clean look fool you, the car was sitting (granted, in a heated garage) since 1985 since it was parked.  There are several pretty major issues with it.  For one, the entire front subframe is going to have to be replaced due to a badly done repair after a collision in 1978.

694spdRT

Nice Charger OC! I think that is the first time I have seen it. I especially like that thing sticking out of the floorboard.  :yesnod: :drive:
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

hemi-hampton

Orange Crush, Your story sure sounds alot like mine. I have a California made 70 charger that I have been after since 1981 & stored since 1981. LEON.