News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Unleaded Gas In Old Engines (Non-hardened Valve Seats)

Started by parkerswede, July 19, 2006, 09:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

parkerswede

I have a 1970 Ch___ (well, its almost a Charger) with the original 350 engine in it. I don't drive it very often. I run unleaded out of the pump in it. Someone suggested it would eventually need hardened valve seats in it. If I don't drive it very often (68,000 original miles), will this be a problem? Thanks. P.S. I have a Charger also.

resq302

IF you don't have the hardened valve seats, you could just add some of that Lead substitute additive.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Chryco Psycho

generally the exhaust seats will erode over time without hard seats installed

SirNik73

wish i would have taken pictures, but a guy in my engine class was working on a set of 350 fuely heads where the exhaust valve had carved its way up into the head by about 1/4 of an inch.
the exhaust valve gets around 1300 degree, a dull red, only degrees from liquid, with lead in the fuel there was a layer of carbon that would build upon and stay on the valve face, and when it closed it would keep the valve from contacting the seat. but when you take the lead out, the valve makes contact and will actually weld is self to the seat for a split second before it is ripped open. repeat that a few million times over the least 30 years and you will have horrible valve seat recession.
the hardend valve seats from the factory in most cast iron heads is not a true hard seat, but instead the valve seat area has had the iron tempered to prevent this welding, problem is that the tempored iron of the seat is only good for maybe 1 valve grind. then you are down to the soft iron again.
if you are going to get a valve job, pay a little extra and have them insert hard seats. they will last as long as the engine does, if not longer  ;D
1973 Charger SE
1973 Charger Parts car
1968 Couger... got this one for free! and it looks like it was free :)
1983 Toyota Tercel 4x4 Daily Driver
1984 Mercedes-Benz 300SD

deathcharger71

i rebuilt my 67' 327 and the exhaust seats were pitted big time, engine had little wear everywhere else but those exhaust seats and i lost a LOT of power because of it. we used lead additive for a while but it eventually needed the new seats. so basically yes youll eventually need the seats, and youll probabely notice and increas in power  :icon_smile_big:

TylerCharger69

They will eventually carve up into the head...especially if you  stomp on it a lot.  The lead in yesterdays fuel provided a "cushion" so to speak between the valves and the seats.   There are additives you can add to the fuel to restore those properties.

deputycrawford

I used the lead additive for awhile and pounded the exhaust valves into the seats quite a distance. The lead additive is pretty much worthless in my book. Spend the money in the seats now instead of the tow truck later.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.