News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 stroker

Started by 68chargerboy, July 20, 2006, 12:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68chargerboy

hi,
   I was wondering if anyone hear has/heard of the 440-500 stroker kit through 440source.com   does anyone know if the kit is good or a waste of money.  i am trying to find a good company to buy a 500 ci stroker from. thanks alot

Zach

andyf

I've done a couple of motors using 440Source parts.  They certainly are not a waste of money but as with any aftermarket part you should have your machinist do a good double check of all dimensions and clearances.

Brandon at 440Source has really helped out the Mopar hobby by designing and sourcing a bunch of new parts.  I'm building a 505 motor at the moment using a 440Source 4.250 stroke crank with 6.800 long BB Chevy rods from SCAT and a set of 13.5:1 compression Diamond pistons.  The only issue I've seen with this crank is that I'll need to polish up the area where the timing chain gear mounts since it is a press fit at the moment and I prefer a slip fit.  Everything else looks fine so far.

golden73

I have heard nothing but good things from people who bought a kit from 440source

MOPARHOUND!

If I were to build another one, it would be from www.440source.com.  Brandon was a great guy over the phone when I inquired about his 4.50" stroker kit.
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

Chryco Psycho

tyhey seems to be great to deal with , I just ordered a new 130 tooth flywheel , no problems at all

68chargerboy

cool, 
      i am glad that i've heard nothing but good news.  by the way does anyone know if i need to do any machine work to a 68 440 block for their 500 ci stroker kit.  thanks alot

Zach

MOPARHOUND!

Some very minor notching at the bottom of each cylinder, easily done.  That part of the cylinder is just along for the ride anyway.
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

68chargerboy

can some one post a pic of were i am supose to do the notching.  thanks

zach

Tom_440

I have a 440 Source kit. I don't have a picture, but you grind a small notch at the bottom of each cyl wall. If you mock up the crank and piston/rod, it will be clear where to grind. no big deal at all.

andyf

If you use the 4.250 crank with the Chevy 2.200 rod journals then you probably won't even need to notch the cylinders.  I didn't have to notch anything on my 505 motor.  I think the Chevy rod is the way to go with these motors and evidently lots of other people agree since parts are available for that combo.  Use a 6.800 long rod and then order the pistons from Diamond.  Ross also might make some pistons for 6.700 or 6.800 long rod combos.

Rolling_Thunder

i am ordering their 528" kit in about a month (need funds) ===   i have talked with the guys for hours on end and they are VERY helpful when selecting parts and planning builds...     
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip