News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering Wheel Play + Video

Started by snicker, August 18, 2005, 09:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snicker

(NOTE: 69 Charger)

I have WAY too much play in my steering wheel and it is driving me nuts. I took a small video of me turning the steering wheel back and forth and what it looks like under the hood and where the movement is. You can see from the video that the bearing is completely not connected. Is that the source of my problem? It is a column shifter.

If someone could take a look and let me know where to start that would be awesome :)

http://www.3dretreat.com/snicker/files/steering_play.avi   (only 3mb)

Here is a closeup picture under the hood showing how the bearing isn't connected:

MTPOCKET

No not suppose to move like that. The plastic piece is a lower steering column bearing and attach to upper metal housing with two or three bolts depending on the year. let me see if I can find some pics. Just bought one mine looks like your does. I hope these pic help you. :)

Ebay list one for sale

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-1968-79-MOPAR-2-Bolt-Lower-Steering-Column-BEARING_W0QQitemZ4568850069QQcategoryZ34200QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

snicker

Those pics help. It looks like the 3 bolt bearing is what I will need for a 69 Charger auto column shifter.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4568850049&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores

$82 seems like a lot for that small plastic piece however! Do you think that bearing is what will take the play out of the column?

Chryco Psycho

the shoes inside the coupler are installed the wrong way , , pull the column & re-install the shoes rotated 90* & slide it back together
there is a kit available from Mopar for $15  with all the pieces to rebuild the coupler if you need it

cudaken

Is it a power steering Charger, if so was the engine running when you made the movie? Pump will take out a lot of that slack, you can also tighten up the worm gear in a P/S Steering box. The box adjuster is on the out side of the box, screw head with a hold down nut around it.

I could not see the box it self in the movie, is the steering box moving the same as the column? Or is the column moving and not the box? If just the colunm moving then it is the coupler.

I just checkd my 69 Charger, it's box is new, and not running I have the same play as you. Been driving B-bodys for 33 years now and all have that kind of play in them. Heck, my Road Runner had that kind of play when I got her from Mon and Dad when I was 17. She only had 43,000 miles on her as well.

Cuda Ken 
I am back

snicker

I screwed the bearing back in where it is supposed to go and bingo, all my play is taken out. The steering wheel is nice and responsive now. Thanks guys!

Chryco Psycho