News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what is best cam for my combo?

Started by 68chargerboy, July 25, 2006, 08:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68chargerboy

i am currently collecting all the parts to put a new engine together (my first one  :icon_smile_big:).  so i was wondering what the best cam choice would be for my car/engine.  it is going to be a 500ci stroker (440 block) with e heads, around 10.9 comp. so what do you think i should use for a cam.  the car is a 66 monaco that weighs around 3700-3800 Lbs.  the torque converter stall will be around 2400-2800.  what will be the best choice.  thanks in advance

Zach

firefighter3931

Zach, what type of cam...hydraulic or solid ? With a big cube motor setup like you're contemplating there will be lots of torque on tap.....you don't need to go too big on the cam and keep it mellow and easy to tune.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

deputycrawford

Also, what is the rear gear ratio and tire size? What is your intended use of the car. Be honest too. If you only plan to take it to the drag strip once a year then set it up as a street car and be happy with it 99% of the time.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

68chargerboy

i plan on putting in a 3.55 -4.10 gear and my tires will most likely be 15'' 295-335 50-60s ande yes i drive this car every day but it will see track action at least one- two times a week.  thanks again

P.S. what do you think will be better solid or hydralic, im leaning towards solid

Zach

firefighter3931

The solid will be more expensive to set up because of the need for an adjustable valvetrain. That being said, it's worth it when you're building a stroker with big performance in mind.  :yesnod:

You need to commit to a converter and gears before the camshaft can be selected....it's important to match everything up.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs