News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What taillights are these?

Started by Mikko, July 26, 2006, 10:06:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikko

What wrong with my Chargers tail? ::)

Car is -70 base model, what tailligths are these and center panel. I live in Finland and situation with used Charger parts is hopeles, where to find new original taillights and center panel (if i need one). Also whatst hat part´s name under register plate? and reverse lights..

Orange_Crush

Quote from: Mikko on July 26, 2006, 10:06:20 AM

Car is -70 base model, what tailligths are these and center panel. I live in Finland and situation with used Charger parts is hopeles, where to find new original taillights and center panel (if i need one). Also whatst hat part´s name under register plate? and reverse lights..

Itr looks like somebody cut out the center part of your valance trim panel and polished what was left.
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

Orange_Crush

Here's how its supposed to look.

As you can see, the trim panel goes the full width of the car and is painted black with the exception of a narrwow polished "ring"
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

Blown70

Hmmm, I have a tail pannel that is not too bad of shape wanna buy one.... ;D

73 Charger 440

Mikko,

Where about do you live (Here in Suomi)? Just curious... Moved here less than a year ago, brought a few cars with me... Even getting common items such as oil (conventional) or oil filters is a real PITA, I need a few big parts for my Trans Am but have been waiting to order everything at once from the states.

CDN72SE

Quote from: Mikko on July 26, 2006, 10:06:20 AM

Also whatst hat part´s name under register plate? and reverse lights..

That's the Valance panel.
1972 Charger SE

JimShine

What is up with the chrome on the taillights? Looks like foil tape to me.

Mikko

Quote from: JimShine on July 26, 2006, 12:39:55 PM
What is up with the chrome on the taillights? Looks like foil tape to me.

It´s not foil tape ;)

It´s an aluminium plate and looks original to me, though that are those coronet etc. tail lights but can be customized some reason at originals.

Quote from: 73 Charger 440 on July 26, 2006, 12:04:06 PM
Mikko,

Where about do you live (Here in Suomi)? Just curious... Moved here less than a year ago, brought a few cars with me... Even getting common items such as oil (conventional) or oil filters is a real PITA, I need a few big parts for my Trans Am but have been waiting to order everything at once from the states.

I live in place called Kiikka, it´s located between Tampere / Pori if that tells you anything.

73 Charger 440

Mikko,
Guess Ive passed through there quite a few times already then (or at least close), traveling from Heinola to Tampera, Tampere to Pori, Pori to Merikarvia. :)

Good luck with finding the "correct" tail panel and such, maybe at Pick Nick? (considering possibly going there and bringing some stuff for sale, dont know yet though).

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Orange_Crush on July 26, 2006, 10:18:39 AM
Here's how its supposed to look.

As you can see, the trim panel goes the full width of the car and is painted black with the exception of a narrwow polished "ring"

Actually, I don't think the 70 XH cars had a full tailpanel did they?

Here's a 70 XH I ran across. It also looks like you're missing the emblem between the lights and the chrome trim is a little large. IIRC...that's a 67 440 car on the trailer in the background.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Mikko

Can anyone attach closeup pics of -70 taillights

Just 6T9 CHGR

69CoronetRT is correct...base model 70 Chargers (XH first 2 digits of VIN#) had no taillight panel.
The taillights were just like the 69's with the chrome trim.....

The lenses themselves are different though.  The 70's have a small retangular reflector built into the lense & no grey painted stripe.

The '69's had this stripe & no reflector.

Mikko, your taillight lenses are correct for 70.  the trim around them, however is incorrect.

Also your rear lower valance panel looks a bit hacked up......there seem to be covers bolted on where the reverse lights are supposed to be.......(see the pic of the yellow 70 above)

Welcome to the site  :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Mike DC

I agree. 

The taillight panel (the blue section of the unibody itself) looks intact.  The actual taillight assemblies (the clear red lenses) appear to be the correct 1970 lenses, and they appear to be located in the correct spots on the taillight panel.  But the chrome trim around each taillight assembly/lense is all wrong.  I've never seen anything like it.  It looks like it was custom-made or something. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The parts:

Dodge Chargers' taillight panels (the blue panel on your car that's actually welded into the car's structure) are the same for the 1969 and 1970 cars.  Just some little trim holes were drilled in different places depending on the car's options & year.  These panels are known for rusting underneath the taillights.

The 1970 taillight lenses had rectangular reflectors in the middle of them (your car has these), but the 1969 lenses did not.  However, either year of taillight will physically fit into either year of car's rear end and light up.

----------------------------------------------------

The trim pieces & appearance:

In 1969, all Chargers had small chrome metal trim rings around the red lenses.  The rest of the taillight panel was painted matte black.  There was chrome trim installed around the edges of the panel to separate the matte black from the body-colored paint on the trunklid & quarter panel corner caps.

In 1970 there were several different options for how the rearend of the car could appear, depending on how the car was ordered.  Some cars just had lights with rings like in 1969, other cars had a big chromed trim panel around both lights, and a third option was a single large trim ring installed around both taillights (like the yellow car pictured above).

Mikko

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on July 28, 2006, 02:42:00 AM

In 1970 there were several different options for how the rearend of the car could appear, depending on how the car was ordered.  Some cars just had lights with rings like in 1969, other cars had a big chromed trim panel around both lights, and a third option was a single large trim ring installed around both taillights (like the yellow car pictured above).

Last option is best, how´s that center area with that, is it painted or some plate in it. Is that large ring in one piece or...? Can anyone post Closeup picture of that.

Thank´s for the welcoming posts, i´ve been searching Charger for years and now few weeks ago found one and right after that found this site.

Orange_Crush

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on July 27, 2006, 03:34:17 PM
69CoronetRT is correct...base model 70 Chargers (XH first 2 digits of VIN#) had no taillight panel.
The taillights were just like the 69's with the chrome trim.....

The lenses themselves are different though.  The 70's have a small retangular reflector built into the lense & no grey painted stripe.

The '69's had this stripe & no reflector.

Mikko, your taillight lenses are correct for 70.  the trim around them, however is incorrect.

Also your rear lower valance panel looks a bit hacked up......there seem to be covers bolted on where the reverse lights are supposed to be.......(see the pic of the yellow 70 above)

Welcome to the site  :cheers:

Lemme explain what they did.  It stands out like a sore thumb.  Whoever did that treatment took the full width tail panel trim from a XP or XS, polished all of the black off of it, and cut out the center section of it.  Take a good look at it and you can see where they cut it because the relifs in the metal just end, they don't continue around the taillight.

Orange_Crush

You can tell in the areas circled in red where they cut the original trim panel

Mikko

Quote from: Orange_Crush on July 28, 2006, 01:45:01 PM
You can tell in the areas circled in red where they cut the original trim panel

Ok, why didn´t i get that. Any ideas what i would do about that, it´s about impossible to find that trim panel for this summer from here. Need to do some quickfix, that really bothers me, car dont look for a Charger in rearview. Should i do that missing part from aluminium plate, weld it to it´s place, polish the ring and paint center section or what.

Does some models have that trim panel all black?

And that valance panel and revere lights, where to buy from states and how much does those cost (about, new?)