News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

anyone have pics of a factory installed vinyl top on a 2nd gen Charger?

Started by Dennis K, July 26, 2006, 10:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis K

I just talked to a guy who is going to install my vinyl top, and I told him that I wanted my top put on the way they did it at the factory, without stuffing the vinly down into the drip troughs, and he told me that if I had one with the vinly stretched over the drip troughs it was because the vinly shrunk and pulled itself tight over the trough, not because they were installed that way. I have owned several 68 Chargers back when they were just old used cars, and they all had the factory installed vinly tops, and they all looked like they were installed the same way, and I can't imagine that a vinly top could shrink enough to pull itself tight over the drip trough without splitting seams or cracking somewere. I never took any pics of any of them that show the vinly tops with any detail. Someone here had posted some still pics of the Bullitt charger that showed the side of the roof, but I don't remember who it was or even if it was on this site or the old one. The post was about what color the car was under the door handle after it got torn off, if that jars anyone's memory. Does anyone have any pics, or can anyone confirm or disprove my belief that the factory vinyl tops were not pushed down into the drip troughs? I found a few places on the web with instructions on how to put on a vinly top, and they all say to do it the same way, but I don't want mine done that way if it's not how they did it when the cars were new. Thanks.

694spdRT

My '68 still has the original top. It has shrunk and pulled away from the drip rail in some spots but the rest is still down in the rail. It has been stored in a garage since the mid 70's so most of the shrinkage occured prior to that. I believe the guy you talked to is correct.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi