News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Speedometer cable, where to get and what is the correct length?

Started by resq302, August 03, 2006, 09:01:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

resq302

Ok, the speedometer cable I have in my 69 Charger seems to be too long but from what the guy said at Carlisle, it is correct for my car.  The cable is bunching up too much in the inner fender area and does not come close to the area where the retainer on the inner fender is.  What is the correct length that the cable should be?  Who sells the correct appearing ones that work well?  I have heard that there are plastic cased ones with no metal wiring inside which will wear out in no time.  Also, I am in need of the metal hook that was tack welded to the underside of the driverside front floor pan.  My floor pan was replaced at some point and since it is missing this hook, the cable warms up sometimes comes in contact with the exhaust.  Can anyone help me out as to where I might be able to get that metal retaining hook?

Thanks,

Brian
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

smokinrt

Brian
I just read your problem w/ the speedo cable clip.  Don't know where to find one but Year One www.Yearone.com makes replacement cables, maybe  they'll have clips, good luck!!  I just installed a new speedo cable into my 69 but can't get it to work, I'm checking to see if they sent the wrong length? Hope that's my only problem.

smokinrt
Bryan

resq302

Bryan,

One thing I did notice about my speedo cable is that it does not sit anywhere close to the combination brake line holder and the retainer for the speedo cable (combinatin clip that gets screwed into the inner fender engine compartment side).  So I am assuming it is too long.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Chryco Psycho

5 ' should be right or very close , I have not found a good source through local parts stores for them

Back N Black

The speedo cables are still available at the dealer,I bought one last Thursday.I read a article last week about a couple of guys having problems with aftermarket speedo cables and the article went on to say that NOS are available at the dealer. I dropped by on Thursday and sure enough they had 15 in stock.
I will get the part # for ya later today.

resq302

Thanks Back N Black.  A part number would certainly help.
Brian

Back N Black

TACHMAN'S RESEARCH ON E & B BODY SPEEDO CABLES!
In the last 4 months or so we have been experiencing clients sending their B and E body speedometers back because they say their not working properly after our service.  This was strange because in 26 years I had never experienced such a comback ratio.  The Tachwoman and I, plus many of our wonderful clients began to wonder what was going on.  To make this problem even more intriguing, Mopar & Ford speedos were made by the same manufacturer.  In 26 years I have never had a Ford speedo returned for not working properly.
So I went to my local Mopar dealer and found some very interesting information. E & B body speedo cables are still available through your local Mopar dealer.  He told me I could have 55 delivered the next day if I wanted them at this retail price: $40.20. If you have a tax number even cheaper. He said there are thousands still available.

There are some Mopar reproduction firms selling inferior B & E body reproductions for a price that is more expensive than you can get at your local Mopar dealer. They even say they have a second edition original Mopar cable (what) and a cheaper repro.  Stay away from these and get the original for less.  Believe it or not, the part number I am about to give you is for the 1968-70 B body and the 1970-74 E Body. This part number is for classic Mopar's without cruise control:

1968-1970 B Body and 1970-74 E Body: Speedo Cable (without cruise) Part Number 4897646AA, Retail $40.20, cheaper if you can buy wholesale!!

Wow, now I know the problem, cheaply made reproduction speedometer cables have caused me such grief. However, the "Tachman" can and I hope this provides my Mopar customers with much needed information. Any Questions, call me at 1-800-327-8716!!!  Thanks for your patronage. The "Tachman" cares about his clients. 27 years and still going. How I love Mopars!

66ragtop

isn't the currently avail cable a grey casing ?????? - opposed to the originals black.

aka gtx6970
Need Beer!  66 coronet 440 convertible, 99 ram 2500 cummins, 99 plymouth breeze, Dog (Bree) Ameri-Camp 32 ft. travel trailer (hence cummins)

Back N Black

The one I got had the black plastic,just like the original.

BMOTOXSTAR

In need one for a 73" Rally Charger. The speedo jumps and gitters, I heard you can lube the cable. Probally best to buy a new one. Thank
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

poppa

God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.

Nacho-RT74

http://www.buymopar.com/store/restro.html

RDH97646AA $30.75
Speedo cable fits 66-and up
a-b and e body, comes with grommet

Cheap don't you think ?
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Nacho-RT74

and, about length... I don't think lenght itself will be a problem to make it works or not for a while the cable itself is the right lenght against the outer hose nut and stuff. Lenght is just a problem if is REALLY shorter and doesn't arrive for tranny up to speedo housing. Lenght is asociated just with body distance between tranny and firewall, and hole location on it.

I got an aftermarket Colombian repro speedo wire that I hate just because the tranny nut is plastic and not metallic and thread is easy to get damage ( in fact already got some damage ), but about the rest works perfect. On bag tag said was to A body ( 73-77 darts or something like that ) and fits really perfect on every detail about lenght.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

resq302

my problem with the length is it curves up inside the engine compartment causing it to interfere and rub on the brake lines.  It is by no where close to that flat retainer that also has the hook for the brake line that gets screwed onto the inner fender.
Brian

Nacho-RT74

I don't know on earliers but 3rd gens doesn't have any problem with that. In fact, the hose is not that flexible to make small curves. On my car at least the wire runs down the floorboard up to frame rail with some retainers that I also use to run the NSS wiring, as I can remember and then just get close to brake lines at one point, but none interference with anything.

resq302

my main concern is that I was given the incorrect cable that is too long which is causing the excess to bulk up inside the engine compartment.  The cable is practically resting on the rear part of the shock tower and I would think and have seen other car have it be no where close to coming to the shock tower.
Brian

Nacho-RT74

try to share the excesive lenght curve between underfloor on tranny area and engine bay. that's what I made