News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is a 440 block worth..............

Started by bandit67, August 12, 2006, 05:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit67

Guys , I can buy a 440 engine that has been sitting for years open with valve covers off......everything major rust. It is a 73 hp block with a steel crank.  I am thinking NOTHING will be usable, i.e. block, heads,sheet metal, but the crank and maybe rods. they want 400 and and I am thinking 100 for all. What is a steel crank that will need turning be worth. Any opinions..........J

TylerCharger69

Well...you can get a crank kit for it,  and of course on a GOOD rebuild, you wouldn't want to use any of the original parts anyway.   It would be nice if the connecting rods are salvageablethough.   The heads can be refurbished.   If it's complete, minus valve covers,   I'd give 400 for it...but then....find out if it's an HP block or not

firefighter3931

Personally, i wouldn't pay more than $100.00 for it. Assume that everything is junk except the crank and rods....and those are gonna be a PIA to get out.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

TylerCharger69

I think we can better assess this engine with some pictures.....It may not be as bad as you think...then again...it may be toast

RD

it really matters on if the engine sat OUTSIDE with the valve covers off
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

bandit67

It DID sit outside for many years.......and looks it. I called the lady back and offered a 100 for it, so I will only be able to get pics if she takes my offer. It has been several days so maybe if she gets no takers at 400 I may get a call back. It is in rough shape and I truly believe the crank and rods will be the only salvagable parts.

RD

in that case, $100 if she is lucky.  have fun knocking those pistons out  :-\
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Runner

dont assume the block is junk because of some runs.   the block in my roadrunner sat in the the parts car for years with no heads or intake on it.  it was a rusted up mess. when my friend/ machinest came up with the idea of doing a stroker with the 400 block i had instead of rebiulding the 383 i told him that ididnt think the block was usable as i had to brake 2 pistons to get them out. (its amazing how tough pistons acually are). any way   with ome good machine work and a couple acid bathes the block cleaned up nicely and is powering my roadrunner just fine.   i with i had some before pictures of it but i dont, but it was very nasty with every cylender having severe rust.    heres a pic of it after though.

on the same note dont assume a pretty block is a perfect block as well.  it might have hidden problems of its own

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

rt green

i know that you can machine a steel crank and it still would be strong enough for a stought street motor
third string oil changer