News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Salavge Yards - New Mexico

Started by Shakey, July 21, 2005, 12:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakey

Does anyone know of some salavge yards in NM that may have some older Mopars on their property for picking over?

I will be in Albuquerque, NM and then making my South to Roswell, NM. 

I'd even consider going out of my, say as far East as Amarillo or Lubbock, TX and even as far South as El Paso, TX.  Even in between, over near Big Spring, Midland and Odessa, TX.

I have a day or so to myself and would love to pick over some 1969 Charger's.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Shakey

Shakey

I thought one of you folks would have some suggestions.   :'(  No members from NM or Western TX?

Ghoste

Or there just aren't any yards in the area.  Is there any kind of slavage locater service online that might be able to help you?  I know they would tend to do mainstream stuff but contact them and they may know of places doing older cars.
Did you post this on any other forums?

topduarte

I am from El Paso originally but haved lived in Austin the last 18 years.

My brother in law who lives in Las Cruces said he found a junkyard southeast of El Paso, I believe in Clint Texas.  I know there are various cars laying all over New Mexico, you just have to find them.

If you have not gone on your trip yet, I will ask my brother in law tonight where they are located.

Manny

RECHRGD

There's a huge mopar yard in Texas (Texas Acres) but I have no idea what area of the state they're located.  They do have a website though.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

JimShine

Some people do not like to reveal the yeards they score good stuff at in fear word will get out and it will get picked over on them.

Dodge-Charger

Quote from: JimShine on July 23, 2005, 10:29:12 AM
Some people do not like to reveal the yeards they score good stuff at in fear word will get out and it will get picked over on them.

nailhead, hammer, done!  I'm quilty  ;D I dont like to talk about the back woods yards here till I know every car or part in there. A bud of mine went to a yard here w/ me to get some parts for his 65 Truck. The next time I went down there  I found out he and 3 other guys tried to go in and clean house with 2 trucks. The owner of the yard knew what was going on so I got lucky that time. One of the guys was a Ebay going feller. Junk Yards here dont like Ebay guys.

Drache

On my trip down to Mexico I saw a couple older mopars driving around that need restoration such as darts and things like that. Stop a Mexican by stepping in front of him and questioning him in a very loud manner (remember they don't know english that well if at all) that you want to buy his car! See what he says!

There were a couple old cars up here where I now live and someone who was out here fishing got word of them. Then later him and a couple buddies came back with trucks and trailers and bought as many of them as they could. Later I seen them all on ebay.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Ghoste

Sometimes e-bay does as much harm as good doesn't it?  I've bought a lot of stuff off of there myself buyt nothing beats a day at a swapmeet or a trip to an old yard.

KMPX2

To bad more and more the yards won't let you walk around to see what you can find.

JimShine

I am fortunate as I have a great yard practically down the street from my house with tons of Mopars. They do the self-service thing, which is cool in a way, but a pain as well. Example, I bought forum member "Beers" there and he found a rear end he wanted. Price wasn't bad, but you have to get it yourself. The car has sat forever and to get in there to get it would be a huge undertaking.

I went picking today and dealt with the other hazard of picking, bees. I was picking through a '69 Satellite Mod top car and disturbed a bees nest. Got nailed about 10 times in the back as I ran.

Ghoste

I kinf of enjoy picking my own parts off.  I've had a number of adventures taking on part removal projects.

JimShine

I love picking parts off. Not only is it cool choosing the part you want, but you see exactly how it comes off and if you damage something, no harm no foul. But there are little quirks. I haven't found a snake nest yet, but I am sure that will happen soon.

Drache

Bees and hornets are the major problems when you have to take your own parts off. Once when I was taking the rear end outta a '67 mustang for a friend I was attacked by a momma mouse protecting her nest. When a mouse bites it hurts... then come the damn rabies shot afterwards.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Lowprofile

There are a couple of big yards just outside Gallup, NM. I've never been there, but I have driven by them hundreds of times on my west coast trips. Just from the Hwy. you can see that they have quite the collection.

Happy Hunting!
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

Dodge-Charger

QuoteI went picking today and dealt with the other hazard of picking, bees. I was picking through a '69 Satellite Mod top car and disturbed a bees nest. Got nailed about 10 times in the back as I ran.
My yard hunting kit------- Radio Flyer with Inflated tires, Tool box ( yes with tools LOL ) ,Wasp/Hornet spray, Flashlight, magnet, Pad and Paper, small floor jack, small come along, and a small peice of 2x6 about 24" long. Hanging off the back of the truck I use is a Over the side cherry picker, welder with Generator( for sawzall and stuff ) and a tourch. I aint found nothin yet I caint pull. :icon_smile_big:

Hate you got stung Jim.

JimShine

Well, it wasn't as bad as it was when I was a kid. 5 minutes after being stung the welt was gone and so was the pain. I guess our chemistry chasnges as we get older.

Ghoste

I suppose New Mexico yards could add the benefits of poisonous snakes and scorpions too. :o

Shakey

Quote from: Ghoste on July 23, 2005, 08:00:07 PM
I suppose New Mexico yards could add the benefits of poisonous snakes and scorpions too. :o

I had to keep that in mind while golfing on my last trip to NM.

Anyways, thanks to all for your help.

Charge It!

Badges- We don't need no stinkin' Badges!

Wait, that's the wrong Mexico

andy74

bring along a camera,and post pics,even if you dont want to tell people where they are at! junk yard pics rule-andy :2thumbs: :2thumbs: