News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

disc brake question for 69 charger r/t se

Started by Lord Warlock, August 19, 2006, 10:20:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Warlock

Does anyone make sell new calipers for our cars, year one seems to carry the rotors but I can't find calipers anywhere.  I have 4 seriously corroded 4 piston calipers for my power front disc brakes on my car, and wouldn't mind sending them off for a rebuild if i could find a reputeable shop to do the work.  My charger has been in storage now for almost 20 years, and i'm trying to get it roadworthy again after such a long time of sitting.  A decade ago I got a disc brake conversion kit that used 76 aspen calipers and rotors but never installed it and quite frankly don't think i have all the parts together anymore - the kit was complete with spindles, rotors and calipers, but I don't want to use these, I'd prefer to rebuild the originals or if i absolutely have to ...to install more modern brakes like wilwood or stainless steel brake kits. 

I appreciate the input, I can't believe you can't find the parts, there are tons of old mopars driving around, they can't all have aftermarket brakes on them. 

Lord Warlock
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Ghoste

There are lots of old Mopars but factory disc brakes were a very very rare option on the old Mopars.  Most of our standard drum units were a lot heavier duty than the competitors so there was less of an incentive for Mopar buyers back then to upgrade to disc brakes.  Especially in an era when most folks thought of seat belts as a stupid pita.
As to your question, I don't know of anyone still making calipers for our cars but I need a set for my own so I am looking too right now.  I'd like to have a new pair but mainly as a spare.  I have new rotors that I picked up last week in the swap meet at the Nats.  My calipers are working but the Bendix ones are notorious for sticking.
So, I can't help you but I am on the same quest as you and if I find a supplier, I'll let you know.

Lord Warlock

What are a set of these calipers worth to a collector?  Like I said before, I have an extra set I took off of a 69 charger r/t parts car I bought back in the 70s (hit a telephone pole) but both sets need to be rebuilt to be reused.  I've had the calipers off the car for more than a decade and its been stored in my garage the whole time,  but I just built a new garage out back to permanently house the old charger and a turbo stealth, and want to be able to start and move the car around from time to time while I work on it.  I didn't think the power discs were that rare an option.  I replaced the master cylinder right before it went into storage so I'm pretty sure its still good, the only thing stopping the car now is the emergency brake - which only works at very low speeds.  Figure I can rebuild the drums myself If i can still get kits for them.   They'd probably work fine if i cleaned them up a little.  I know I can find the rotors still, but have had no luck locating calipers. 

LW
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Ghoste

I have no idea what they're worth.  If someone is restoring a Hemi Daytona and needs a date coded set in the worst way, they'll likely pay you any Barrett-Jackson price you wish to charge.  To a schmuck like me who just wants a spare set, they aren't worth much at all.
Sorry, that doesn't help you much either, does it?

tan top

not trying to hi jack the thread guys , ( Lord Warlock)  just been looking at your charger on your home page  looks awesome in the picture with slot mags ,  would like to see more pictures of your charger :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Lord Warlock

It isn't a hijack if its about my car...lol. 

Unfortunately, I don't have any digital photos worth posting of late.  the car has been in stored in a garage for 26 years and I'm just now getting ready to work on it again.  The pic from my website is from back in 79 when I left for college.  (and I had long hair) Today the car has the grill removed so I can disassemble it and fix the front center chrome trim which is lightly dented (have a 2nd trim piece in better shape) I just had a 24ft x 22ft x 11ft tall garage built in the backyard and started the car for the first time in 5 years to move it out back.  (the charger was my first car as a teen and I've kept it all this time. 
Its a cream yellow Y3 coded with v1t top, w/leather seats and woodgrain dash, still has the factory paint on one side-other side was primered to prep for a new paint job (I'll paint it myself since I have the equipment) Its a real RT/SE, built in sept 4th 1968 (have the build sheet) I couldn't paint one side cuz it was parked too close to the wall, that will come in the new location.  Interior is all stock still, seat cushions are split but still in one piece, I put new carpet in it last year, but elected to work on my "other" projects instead.  Now I'm sick of working on the others and decided to focus on the car that needs my attention the most.  The motor is not original, but did come out of a 69 charger r/t (swapped it out myself in 82) its as correct as it can be, and the motor and tranny only have 69k original miles on it.  Still sounds nice and tight, although its leaking oil out the right side valve cover (snapped bolt) The pic I'll attach if i can figure out how is yesterday after I got it in the new garage. 

The other car in the garage next to the charger is a 91 stealth turbo, highly modified, and has a flame paint job on the front/stripes over hood, roof and back.  The stealth is still driveable, but gawd is it expensive to maintain.  Figured the charger would at least be cheaper to work on, and I can tune it myself. 

Lord Warlock

Oh, I do have a set of factory magnum 500s in restorable condition that I don't plan on using.  I'll keep the slotted ET unilugs on it until I can afford a set of 17 inch magnum 500 billet wheels. Its getting two new tires installed as I type this. 

tan top

thanks for the info ( good story )  :popcrn: looks an awesome  size  garage , plenty of room to work on the R/Tse now :icon_smile_wink:   i had a garage built also  so i could work on my 69 R/Tse .
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

69 OUR/TEA

This is where I am sending my 69 four piston calipers for rebuild,back when I got the quote it was around $165.00 each and that included boring out the sleeves and installing new stainless ones.Check them out and give them a call....

http://www.kaliper.com/

Ghoste

69 OUR/TEA

they said about 2 weeks at that time,you would have to give them a call and ask their schedule.Either way I am getting ready to box mine up and ship to them.They are in MA,and I'm from CT so the shipping will be easy.

moparjohn

Call Billy at White Post Restorations, great service and quick turn around, 540-837-1140
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

resq302

John,

What kind of pricing did White post give you?
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Dennis K

I got a pair of the 4-piston from these guys. You can exchange yours for a rebuilt set or you can have yours rebuilt and sent back to you. http://calipersonline.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=15

moparjohn

Brian, I had my master/booster rebuild there. They were a good company to deal with. John
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

Lord Warlock

ooooo those look nice, think i may have to look into a pair of those.   Thanks.  I may have to liquidate the disc brake conversion kit i bought a while back to help pay for them though.  I'll have to get new rotors too since mine are a bit grooved.  Price is reasonable after core return, but the initial charge is gonna hurt initially.  I'll have to get my extra set ready to mail in, that way I can keep the originals. 

Ghoste

Don't be in too big a hurry to unload the conversion kit.  By the time you price out new rotors (if you find some :icon_smile_wink:) and add it to the cost of those calipers and some pads, you may decide you want to utilize the conversion kit anyway just for the parts availability.  It's probably about 800 pounds lighter than the original too. :-\

Steve P.

I met a vendor at the Garlitz show last year that was selling rebuilt sets for $125. or $135.00. (My memory sucks). I was just looking to see if I still had his card. If I remember right, he was from Orlando/Kissimee.

I'll look in the shop tomorrow and let you know....
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Lord Warlock

yeah, the rotors at 200 each (400) plus the calipers at 160 each plus core deposits of 200 is kinda high, but still easier than replacing the spindles and using brakes that weren't stock.  Plus i just sent my spare set of calipers to Pensacola with my dad to see if a shop there can rebuild them, so have to give them a chance.  But to be honest told him 1000 wouldn't be too high a price so these are well within the range.  My stealth rotors and calipers cost me more than 800, so i really shouldn't complain, i haven't replaced the brakes in 30 years...lol.

Steve P.

I've been looking through my cards and cannot find the guy. Sorry....   :icon_smile_sad:   Sounds like your well on your way to having them done anyway.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

COKE

A1 cardone had rebuiilt bendix four piston calipers.
If you enter in the Rockauto.com or Carparts.com page,maybe you still will be able to find them
69´Charger R/T,440 ,4-speed,Dana 60 3.55.

myrtle

Quote from: Lord Warlock on August 19, 2006, 04:31:32 PM
It isn't a hijack if its about my car...lol. 

Unfortunately, I don't have any digital photos worth posting of late.  the car has been in stored in a garage for 26 years and I'm just now getting ready to work on it again.  The pic from my website is from back in 79 when I left for college.  (and I had long hair) Today the car has the grill removed so I can disassemble it and fix the front center chrome trim which is lightly dented (have a 2nd trim piece in better shape) I just had a 24ft x 22ft x 11ft tall garage built in the backyard and started the car for the first time in 5 years to move it out back.  (the charger was my first car as a teen and I've kept it all this time. 
Its a cream yellow Y3 coded with v1t top, w/leather seats and woodgrain dash, still has the factory paint on one side-other side was primered to prep for a new paint job (I'll paint it myself since I have the equipment) Its a real RT/SE, built in sept 4th 1968 (have the build sheet) I couldn't paint one side cuz it was parked too close to the wall, that will come in the new location.  Interior is all stock still, seat cushions are split but still in one piece, I put new carpet in it last year, but elected to work on my "other" projects instead.  Now I'm sick of working on the others and decided to focus on the car that needs my attention the most.  The motor is not original, but did come out of a 69 charger r/t (swapped it out myself in 82) its as correct as it can be, and the motor and tranny only have 69k original miles on it.  Still sounds nice and tight, although its leaking oil out the right side valve cover (snapped bolt) The pic I'll attach if i can figure out how is yesterday after I got it in the new garage. 

The other car in the garage next to the charger is a 91 stealth turbo, highly modified, and has a flame paint job on the front/stripes over hood, roof and back.  The stealth is still driveable, but gawd is it expensive to maintain.  Figured the charger would at least be cheaper to work on, and I can tune it myself. 

Bro,.. Whats up. I did not know you were on here.
Its VR4_007 from 3SI,..

I know about your bad@$$ stealth, but I had no idea you also had a charger. As soon as I saw your sig I knew it was you. (i remembered your detailed write up about doin ur stripes)

Anywho,.. your car sounds great. Does this mean the stealth is goin on the back burner?
THE REAL FAST AND THE REAL FURIOUS

Lord Warlock

Yes the stealth is in permanent storage for the time being.  I got done with the paint and mechanicals, but haven't used it for a driver now for several years, its only been driven about 300 miles since the engine rebuild (3 years ago) and since I bought an 04 SVT Cobra for a daily driver, I haven't felt a need to drive the stealth anymore.  But I can't sell it for near what is invested in it, and now have an extra 2 car garage in back to store it in (next to the charger) so decided to store it for a few years/decades...) Evidently there are several old 3Si members here, you're the 3rd person to contact me off of this site.   I still moderate the classified section of 3Si forum though. 

The charger has been waiting a long time for me to start working on it again, and I figure any investment I put into it would be a guarranteed return should I ever decide to part with it.  Much better than the stealth was.  I threw away 30,000 on redoing the stealth, wish I'd put it into the charger instead.  At least the charger is worthy of taking to car shows.