News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

This Is BAD...

Started by Mopar440+6, August 19, 2006, 04:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar440+6

I had a guy from my car club come down to buy some parts today. As we were standing around looking at my Charger we brought up the fact that it is very unoriginal. This conversation led to looking at the VIN and fender tag. Needless to say the VIN does NOT match the fender tag and radiator support. The title however does match the VIN. So sometime before I bought the car it was rebodied. :flame: I can't be too angry simply because it is my fault that I didn't do enough research to know to check those numbers before I bought the car. :icon_smile_blackeye:

Anyway this throws a BIG monkey wrench into the works. So, I'm coming to the most "Charger literate" people I know. I need help tracking down these numbers. I can post a pic of the fender tag if it will help. If anyone has ANY information please let me know. My email address is listed in my profile.

The VIN I have: XP29G8B338595

The serial number on the tag and support: 052357

I am currently contemplating trying to find another shell with the numbers and selling the shell I have. Any other ideas on what I should do would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
"If you cant fix it with a wrench, get a hammer. If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer!"

pettyfan43

Your vin number is a 68, the vin will NOT match the core support or fender tag. the fender tag and core support have the SEQUENTIAL ORDER NUMBER not the VIN . Don't panic, They are ALL that way before 1969.
:icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

It's all shiny!

tan top

Quote from: pettyfan43 on August 19, 2006, 05:58:56 PM
Your vin number is a 68, the vin will NOT match the core support or fender tag. the fender tag and core support have the SEQUENTIAL ORDER NUMBER not the VIN . Don't panic, They are ALL that way before 1969.

It's all shiny!

:iagree: see if the serial number is the same  stamped on the left side trunk rail , under the  weather strip

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

gtx6970

Quote from: pettyfan43 on August 19, 2006, 05:58:56 PM

It's all shiny!
:iagree:

The body stamped numbers match the sequence numbers on the tag. Not the vin on the dash plate .
I believe You need the build sheet to match the vin numbers to the sequence numbers

terrible one

Haha when he looks at this he is going to feel so relieved and happy.

69charger2002

yeah i freaked the first time i got a 68 R/T and the fender tag didn't match the VIN. only the XS part. i was so bummed. then i found out later on it was legit. lol. live and learn. one of those goofy things chrysler did back in the day
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Mopar440+6

WHHHEEEWWW! Well maybe its not so bad! :icon_smile_big: Now the question is: Is there a way to determine if the VIN matches the order number without having a build sheet?
"If you cant fix it with a wrench, get a hammer. If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer!"

Mopar440+6

Quote from: tan top on August 19, 2006, 06:18:21 PM
:iagree: see if the serial number is the same  stamped on the left side trunk rail , under the  weather strip

Left side trunk rail as in the section of trunk rail that is part of the driver's side quarter panel? If so I don't have that section of trunk rail. The quarters were (badly) cut off before I bought the car.

kab69440

It's rebodied. It's an outright fraud. It's worthless. Totally worthless. Might as well do a droptop conversion, since nothing matches anyhow.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Mopar440+6

Quote from: kab69440 on August 20, 2006, 12:41:53 AM
It's rebodied. It's an outright fraud. It's worthless. Totally worthless. Might as well do a droptop conversion, since nothing matches anyhow.

Not happening, so stop trying! :P

RT DAVE

Your first post states the number on the support and the tag match, so this shouldn't be a rebody issue unless somebody either restamped or replaced the core support and put the corresponding fender tag on your car.   I wouldn't worry about it too much.  I had the same issue with my car when the rad support didn't match fender tag.  Apparently, the rad support must have been replaced by a prior owner.  The front end was in bad shape when I got the car, so that's what I'm going to guess happened in my case.  The number in the trunk, however, matched my fender tag.   Too bad I had to rip my less than two month old trunk seal to find that out.    :flame:
68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

Mopar440+6

Quote from: RT DAVE on August 20, 2006, 08:45:06 PM
Your first post states the number on the support and the tag match, so this shouldn't be a rebody issue unless somebody either restamped or replaced the core support and put the corresponding fender tag on your car.   I wouldn't worry about it too much.  I had the same issue with my car when the rad support didn't match fender tag.  Apparently, the rad support must have been replaced by a prior owner.  The front end was in bad shape when I got the car, so that's what I'm going to guess happened in my case.  The number in the trunk, however, matched my fender tag.   Too bad I had to rip my less than two month old trunk seal to find that out.    :flame:

I'm not so much worried about that scenario as much as I am that someone pulled a dash swap. The car was originally WW-1 Alpine White, when I bought the car it was painted dark green with a green interior. I don't know if the interior was originally green or not but the entire dash cage is completely green, no white overspray or anything. My thoughts are that if the interior was changed the dash may also have been changed while retaining the donor car's VIN.