News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Undercoating - Inner Quarters & Wheel Wells

Started by Shakey, August 29, 2006, 08:58:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakey

Same type of post as the other regarding the front undercoating areas, this thread will focus on the rear.

I am preparing to spray some undercoating in the next few weeks throughout the inner quaters of my '69 Charger.

My question to you folks:

What is the proper area that is to be sprayed?

Attached are a few photos of what some others have done (you may recognize these two cars), neither one the exact same.

What have you done on your car?

I have already chosen the product, the only question is what areas should be covered and what areas should be left alone.

Thanks in advance.

69 OUR/TEA

Hey Shakey,My car has its original quarter panels with the original undercoating/sound deadener still in place,check out the pic and notice that it looks like it was done in two swipes of the gun overlapping by about 5" or so creating those two vertical lines.It is the same on the other side.BTW,the pic of the first car has his brake shoes on backwards,small shoe goes to the front.

JimShine

I just had to help a guy with this same info. Note the nice clean, sharp line like above.

Shakey

Thanks guys.  How about the rear inner wheel wells?

I guess I should have chosen my words a bit more carefully however, now that I see how the inside of the trunk looks, I might just be doing that as well.

I will also change the name of the thread to include the rear wheel wells.

:cheers:

69 OUR/TEA

Hey Shakey,I don't have any pics on file of my rear inner wheel wells,I would have to go to my shop ,pull a tire and take some pics for you.Get back to you with them.

Shakey

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on August 29, 2006, 01:26:11 PM
Hey Shakey,I don't have any pics on file of my rear inner wheel wells,I would have to go to my shop ,pull a tire and take some pics for you.Get back to you with them.

How long is this gonna take?   :D

Seriously, don't go through all that for me.  If you other reasons to do so - wonderful but....

I'd say even if you can get a decent shot with the wheel on, that would be great.

I have plans this weekend that don't include the car so I won't be gettin' to it until the weekend of September 9th.

Thanks for all you input.   :thumbs:

bill440rt

A good trick to reproduce the factory break-off line in the trunk is to use a piece of cardboard. Do NOT use masking tape, the line will be too crisp.
I simply wedged in a piece of cardboard, sprayed the undercoating, & then removed it. The result was a nice line that looked just like factory.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Shakey

Is the undercoating supposed to be painted over on the inner quarters or was it black?

HeavyFuel

Quote from: Shakey on August 29, 2006, 08:37:40 PM
Is the undercoating supposed to be painted over on the inner quarters or was it black?

Looks like just overspray on my '68.

toqwik

Not to hijack the post, but did they spray the undercoating over bare metal, or was it primed, or painted first and then undercoated (from the factory)?

HeavyFuel

Shakemeister, here's a few more shots.

HeavyFuel

HeavyFuel

Quote from: toqwik on August 29, 2006, 09:47:54 PM
Not to hijack the post, but did they spray the undercoating over bare metal, or was it primed, or painted first and then undercoated (from the factory)?

From my understanding, the only color on the bottom of the car comes from overspray.  The cars that you see all painted up really nice on the belly is not how the factory did it.  The undercoating went straight onto the primer (or it could be sealer).  This shot of my trunk area shows it pretty well.

JimShine

For the inside of the trunk, the two cars above, a '68 Charger and a '70 Coronet had the body color sprayed over the undercoating inside. On the Coronet (the FK5 car), that paint you see is the factory job. The missing paint on the pan was done by me to evaluate how bad the pan was.

Shakey

Shakey

Thanks for all of your help guys.  With all of these photos and the feedback, we should be well on our way.  Hopefully I'll be able to add some of my own photos next weekend.  Nothing but family fun this weekend.

Shakey

We did the inner fenders and rear wheel wells on the car this past weekend.  I'll get to the inner quarters in the coming months.

I chose to leave the frame rail green as I simply liked the looks of it, similar to what Jet did on his '69.

Thanks again fellas for the replies and feedback.

Below are some photos of the results.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

71butterbee

Looks nice but im going to be doing the samething on my car soon and I want the rough factory look. The product Shakey used looks like it was very thin and almost went on like paint. Is there a product out there that will duplicate the factory look?
Thanks

gtx6970

3M makes something that looks pretty good. Nice texture and goes on easily with a schultz gun.

Keep in mind the amount of undercoating on each individual car varied all dependent on how big a hurry the guy doing it was in.
Sides of the gastank will have some on it as well as the fuel and brake lines.

JimShine

My '68 gas tank actually had a blast of undercoating along the straps. When I removed the tank, the undercoating had a 'tan line' where the straps once sat. Not sure how common that is though. I also know on my '68 fron wheel wells, they really went heavy. There are big clumps of it in the drivers side well.

Shakey

Correct 71butterbee - it is much thinner than what the factory offered and I knew that as we had some tests prior to spraying.  We figured it will serve its purpose which is to protect and help redcuce some road noise.  It is paintable, if that means anything to anyone.

As far as what areas were sprayed from the factory, Bill is correct, it varies from car to car.  I chose the areas that I wanted covered and the areas that I wanted left alone.  I didn't put any on the underside of my car.

bull

That looks pretty dang good, Shakey. Can I get you a temp. greencard to come down here and do mine? :nana: I like the look of the frame rail in body color but I don't think I'm going to do that since my car is going to be black. Black paint wouldn't look much different than undercoating and undercoating is a lot less work.

BTW, is that stuff on the inner quarters even undercoating? I thought it was some other type of product.