News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is the best way installing the dash?

Started by 69chargerboy, September 11, 2006, 03:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69chargerboy

My paint is near completion, just received my refurbished gauges, now deciding what is the best way installing the dash? Should I completely assemble the dash gauges, wiring, then bolt it in or bolt the dash in first, than add all the components?
My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup

4402tuff4u

I just went through a complete assembly of the interior on a 68 and I installed everything I could on the dash before my wife and I carried it into the garage to install it on the car. I dont see any other way of doing it. As soon as you install the dash, your room for placing stuff inside the dash frame disappears. :yesnod:
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

69chargerboy

Quote from: 4402tuff4u on September 12, 2006, 09:50:47 AM
I just went through a complete assembly of the interior on a 68 and I installed everything I could on the dash before my wife and I carried it into the garage to install it on the car. I don't see any other way of doing it. As soon as you install the dash, your room for placing stuff inside the dash frame disappears. :yesnod:

Thanks for the help. It's greatly appreciated!
My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup

Shakey

Yo - Dodge Don - show us a pic of your homemade dash stand please.   :scope:

chargerguy111

Is there suppose to be a bead of sealer or something that you put on the lip of the dash frame before bolting it down.When I took mine out,it had something like seam sealer that I had to clean off the dash.Thanks.

Hemidog

Rolling_Thunder

it is strip caulking type stuff...    just an anti-rattle/noise reduction thing i believe.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

The70RT

Quote from: Shakey on September 12, 2006, 02:30:07 PM
Yo - Dodge Don - show us a pic of your homemade dash stand please.   :scope:

I got it for you guys
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

six-tee-nine

Now THAT is what I call a GREAT idea...... :2thumbs:

Thanks for the iput.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Dodge Don

Just saw this. Best way in my opinion is to install a fully restored assembly. Home made stand made resto much easier.

Dodge Don

More

john108

I hope you don't mind this dumb question.  I haven't pulled the dash out yet.  How do you get it out.  Where do you start and how do you proceed.  I do have the windshield out.

Hemidog

Quote from: john108 on December 21, 2008, 02:02:18 PM
I hope you don't mind this dumb question.  I haven't pulled the dash out yet.  How do you get it out.  Where do you start and how do you proceed.  I do have the windshield out.
-a good idea to remove the istrument cluster first, makes things easier.
-loosen the bulkhead connector from the firewall.
-loosen the fresh air duct cable that's screwed on underneath the dash
-if you got AC, remove the heater controls, and loosen the heater wire.
-5 bolts on the top, and one one each side underneath, remove them.

take your time, and check if anything is still stuck to the dash.

Dodge Don

Quote from: john108 on December 21, 2008, 02:02:18 PM

It is probably best to have an extra pair of hands helping however I removed mine by myself. I unhooked the noted items and I removed the bolts along the top then loosened the two side bolts. I then used a few bungee cords between the top bolt holes and the dash and then pivoted the entire assembly on the side bolts. When I was sure I had everything unhooked I just lifted the entire assembly out. I then created the dash stand and mounted the whole thing on it and then began tearing it apart. Worked for me.

375instroke

Is there really some sealer used on the dash, or does some windshield goo seep in there sometimes?

Dodge Don

Quote from: 375instroke on December 23, 2008, 10:12:45 PM
Is there really some sealer used on the dash, or does some windshield goo seep in there sometimes?

None on mine.

rt green

now thats usin the old nogen. i love that idea.
third string oil changer