News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Pre Oil and few other questions Neil

Started by cudaken, August 23, 2005, 04:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cudaken

Well I worked on the Charger today and close to start up. 440 has sat for around 4 months. Guy that went back threw it used a red oil, my self I perfer white lithium grease, clings better.

Should I pre oil?

Other option I was given by friend's that I do respect but not as The Great Wizard Of Mopar is pull the plugs and crank till we have pressuer, then hook it all up and light the holes. They worked for me when I ran the engine shop. But the 3.8's 4.1's and 350's where not $12,000.00 engines. They also had warranty's, well mine does for start up and not go boom. But Rick will beable to tell if I gulled a bearing due to lack of oil.

Main reason I have posted this is I can not find a pre oiling tool local. I also konw how to make one, but no welder and no rod.

Cuda Ken
I am back

firefighter3931

I allways pre-oil them, especially important on a fresh rebuild !! The priming rod is available through the dealer for under $10.00   ;)

Don't have $10.00 to spare....ok then, here's a trick. All you'll need is an old oil pump drive and old screwdriver. Take a grinder to the pump drive and grind off the gear so that you can rotate the pump without the distributor gear meshing with the cam gear. If you take all the teeth off the oil pump gear.... that will be sufficient. Now grab an old slotted screwdriver that fits snugly into the slot of the drive gear where the distributor shaft would normally go. Cut the handle off and insert the screwdriver into your reversable drill. Voila....home made priming tool from scrap parts.   :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Chryco Psycho

I have used the red assembly lube , , I make sure the pump is primed & the filter is relatively full but I never pre-lube an engine , , I feel the engine oil offers less protection initially then the assembly lube , no problems so far

cudaken

Neil, have no idea if the oil pump was filled with oil. Pull it off and use normal oil or white lithium?

Ken
I am back

Chryco Psycho

Cam lube [red assemble lube] will seal the rotors so it will pull hard to suck up the oil in the pan