News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Door Panel Removal

Started by Lostsheep, August 14, 2005, 11:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lostsheep

What is the best way to get the front door panels off with no damage? I know they can be tricky so I want to make sure I take it off correctly.

Recharger

Start with the upper pads.  Take the door lock knobs off first, and the remote mirror bezel on the d.s. pad.  The pads are held in with clips, so once those pieces have been removed, just pop 'em off.  Then you can remove the screws holding in the chrome trim piece.  Once that is gone you can take off the lower panels.  First take off the door handles, window cranks and armrests & bezels.  Then there are 13 clips you need to pop out to get the panel off.  Here's a pic so you can see where they are.  Paddock and a few other places sell a prybar fork kinda tool to help pry these things out, but you can accomplish the same thing with 2 screwdrivers or putty knives.  just use something flat to get behind the panel and pull it away from the door.  Just make sure you pry close to the clips, or you'll probably break the fiberboard backing.  As long as you don't get in a rush or do something dumb, it's a really simple job.  Oh yeah, and there's some plastic glued to the door too... just pull that off too.  Good luck with it!

Lostsheep

Thanks Recharger, that is exactly what I was looking for, including the picture of where the clips might be. :2thumbs:

Now where might I locate a driverside exterior door handle?

Lostsheep

:lol: Dadgum your good. I was just looking on Ebay last night and found 1 passenger side and thats it.

Recharger

I do what I can     :thumbs:   I'll probably have an extra set or 2 of these handles in a few months when I'm (closer to) done with my project.   Relatively rough quality, though, ok to decent quality for a driver... let me know if you're interested.   And not in a rush     :P

Lostsheep

Well is there a way you can adjust the plundge depth on the handle itself?

73chgrSE

Would this process be the same for 3rd gens?

73chgrSE

Quote from: 73chgrSE on September 05, 2006, 12:53:38 PM
Would this process be the same for 3rd gens?

I have the "brougham" interior with those vinyl handles that are "just for looks". you know what I mean. It seems like something else is holding the top panels on in the middle where those handles are. Are they just pins on all panels?

Nacho-RT74

3rd gens:
-roll down the glass
-remove joystick nut.
-remove lock knob.
-puller handles are attached onto a bracket attached to door frame on back of panel, with phillips screws and a clip that keeps the chrome with woodgrain insert cover on place. Just pull out those covers and will find the clip and phillips screws.
-then pull out as explained above the upper panel.
-now lower panel... two big phillips screws above arm rest, hidden by upper panel itself.
-inner handle, is a 7/16" bolt.
-remove the window crank ( allen bolt )
-then, same as the upper one, pull it out.

There is a tool to loose the panel clips ONE BY ONE sold on restorer part dealers and interior related stores ( upholstery etc... ), BUT UNTILL NOW I never have used or even needed, even is true that is better to remove the cardboard section of interior panels, like uppers and earliers complete panels, but if you make with care you can pull it out easilly.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html