News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fuel Tank "J" Bolts

Started by 1969RTSE, September 13, 2006, 05:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969RTSE

Hey guys,

I'm replacing the tank in my car and couldn't find anywhere to order replacement nuts for the new j-bolts.

Anyone know what size the j-bolts and nuts are so I can find some new nuts? (quit thinking that way).

I could take the new bolts to the hardware store, but if anyone knew off the top of their head what size and thread the new j-bolts are, that would be great.  I bought the j-bolts from Quanta Products, by the way.

Thanks.

Mark

hemigeno

Frank Badalson sells the correct Fuel Tank Stud Nuts, which are almost double the thickness of a regular nut, plus they have a nylon lock insert.  At $5 each they might not be considered a bargain, but they're 100% correct and you only need 2.

You can download Frank's whole parts catalog at:
http://www.rogergibsonautorestoration.com

Frank's direct phone number is (804) 743-0570

gtx6970

Quote from: hemigeno on September 13, 2006, 05:22:22 PM
Frank Badalson sells the correct Fuel Tank Stud Nuts, which are almost double the thickness of a regular nut, plus they have a nylon lock insert.  At $5 each they might not be considered a bargain, but they're 100% correct

Are you sure ?
Same nut as the nut on the transmission crossmember bolts on a 1970
3/8"-16 thread count

1969RTSE

Awesome... thanks guys!

Ordinarily I would search a little longer and order some from another vendor... but I'm in a pinch trying to get the car ready for the All Dodge Charger meet in El Dorado, KS this Saturday.

Thanks much, I appreciate the help.

Mark

Chryco Psycho

I beleieve PG classics has them as well 

hemigeno

Quote from: gtx6970 on September 13, 2006, 07:32:53 PM
Quote from: hemigeno on September 13, 2006, 05:22:22 PM
Frank Badalson sells the correct Fuel Tank Stud Nuts, which are almost double the thickness of a regular nut, plus they have a nylon lock insert.  At $5 each they might not be considered a bargain, but they're 100% correct

Are you sure ?
Same nut as the nut on the transmission crossmember bolts on a 1970
3/8"-16 thread count

Bill, maybe they changed the style for 1970, I dunno.  The ones that I got from Frank look totally different than the ones in your picture.

I don't have a digital camera at this moment (so I can't take a picture), but I did dig out the J-Bolts and nuts just to make sure I remembered them right.  They are 7/16" tall (so they are fairly tall for a nut of this size) and would take a 9/16" wrench.  Like you said, the threads are 3/8NC16, which are standard coarse threads.  There is a round nylon insert plug right through the side of the nut, and the diameter of that plug is between 1/8" and 3/16".  I think it is silver cad plated, although I'm not a very good judge when it comes to metal finishes.  It is a dull silver color though.

YearOne sells two different kinds of Fuel Tank Stud Nuts.  One is a reproduction that sells for $13.70/pair.  They say they have NOS silver-cadmium plated ones for $19.30, again for a pair of them.  Either way, I think what Frank sells is pretty-much the same style as YearOne's.

:Twocents:

johntpr

I'm with you Gene, the ones on my original Daytona were the longer ones you describe that Badalson sells

Just 6T9 CHGR

The ones on my 69 looked like Bill's pic.....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

resq302

Mid year change maybe?  Now Im curious as to what mine has.   ???
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

gtx6970

Would it be these .
3/8-16, 9/16" Hex, .41" Thick, Silver Cad & Nylon Pellet

gtx6970

Better pic only this one is fine thread for the rear axle

It very well could be either a plant thing or a build date thing. My challenger had the first ones shown in my first response

hemigeno

Quote from: gtx6970 on September 17, 2006, 12:35:12 PM
Would it be these .
3/8-16, 9/16" Hex, .41" Thick, Silver Cad & Nylon Pellet

That would be them!

Thanks for posting the pic.  I have no idea what the rhyme or reason is behind which version is or is not correct.  The studs on my Daytona are broken, so I don't have any first-hand info myself.  All I can do is go by what I read - and that info can be somewhat suspect at times too.

gtx6970

Gene,
I would be willing to bet Both are correct. Mopar is notiorious for using several different venders on fasteners. I have a list of approx  25 different fastener suppliers to Mopar back in the day.
So most likely it's  a plant thing instead of a date thing, But I've been wrong before.