News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Header hell - Nasty Noises

Started by 73Charger, September 22, 2006, 01:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73Charger

Well its been a long time and after 3 attempts, my LOUSY summit headers are STILL noisy as heck.  I even went to JEGS to buy some of those fancy aluminum header gaskets "Seal For good" - NOT.  I'm assuming at this point that these headers are just warped at the head in some bad way.
What else can I do? 
I've tried the gaskets that came with them, tried putting gasket maker on the header side of the gaskets, and tried the seal 4 goods.
I'm thinking that I may be able to tell where the leaks are better now by looking at the gaskets since I figure they will hold their shape.
Very frustrating. :brickwall: :rotz:
1973 Charger SE 318 060 over, edel 1405, added elec choke, Mallory CD Ignition, Hdrs, to Dual Ravin Exhaust, Go-Wing
Restoring for cruising. I drive her during the summer.

blue69

The percy header gaskets don't seal very well. I tried a set after the original gaskets that came with my headers went out and I could not get them to seal at all. I gave up and bought a cheap set of Mr. Gasket paper gaskets and they sealed perfectly on the first try. I suppose if you have freshly machined surfaces on the header flange and head they could work, but with iron heads and cheap hooker headers they didn't work.

supserdave

One last thing to try. Cut the flange between the tubes. This should allow them to flex enough that maybe you will have better luck getting it to seal. I never tried this, but I saw someone mention it on another site and I thought it should work.

73Charger

I wish you had piped in way back when about the Percy's since most posts on this list were stating that they were great so I thought if anything was going to solve my problem, they would.  I'm going to start it up and try to use my stethascope on it to figure out where it is leaking.  I found another post on here that suggested tightening nuts from the inside first and working to the ends, so I'll try that next since I've tried everything else.  :rotz:
I couldnt tell where the leak was coming from using the stethoscope  :rotz:  Thanks for the cutting idea. I'll look to see if that is possible. I may als try a different method of tightening - trying the inside-out vs the even amount on all at same time I've been using.
1973 Charger SE 318 060 over, edel 1405, added elec choke, Mallory CD Ignition, Hdrs, to Dual Ravin Exhaust, Go-Wing
Restoring for cruising. I drive her during the summer.

Skull-1

I would love to know if this got resolved...
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,6231.0.html

1969 Dodge Charger "Ol' Yeller"
1991 Buick Regal Custom
1992 Buick Regal Custom
1995 Buick Regal Gran Sport
1996 Buick Regal SE (R.I.P.)

Cooter

When will we learn?
"Lousy Summit headers".....
Wouldn't have had that problem if he wasn't buying the cheapest tires out there and wanting them to work.
cheap for a reason.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

Skull-1

Am I to expect the same out of my Hooker Headers?   Looks like they sprung a leak on my driver's side...
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,6231.0.html

1969 Dodge Charger "Ol' Yeller"
1991 Buick Regal Custom
1992 Buick Regal Custom
1995 Buick Regal Gran Sport
1996 Buick Regal SE (R.I.P.)

Cooter

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"