News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where to get the cam

Started by AmadeusCharger500, August 24, 2005, 11:22:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmadeusCharger500

I would like to go with Engle or hughes for a camshaft. I thought I remember that engle grinds all the cams for hughes anyway so would it be better to go through them? I have ordered through hughes allready. Have the catalogue and they have a good websight. I can't find a sight for engle. Anybody have info on this.

694spdRT

Quote from: AmadeusCharger500 on August 24, 2005, 11:22:43 AM
I would like to go with Engle or hughes for a camshaft. I thought I remember that engle grinds all the cams for hughes anyway so would it be better to go through them? I have ordered through hughes allready. Have the catalogue and they have a good websight. I can't find a sight for engle. Anybody have info on this.

Hughes does not use Engle cams anymore...not sure who makes their's now.

I bought my cam directly from Engle last year.

They both are using the fast rate cams.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Chryco Psycho

www,englecams.com ,Talk to Chris
we arte not sure who is grinding tha Hughes cams now , I stuck with Engle , they have great customer service & products

AmadeusCharger500

Thanks.
I think the 2358-H engle cam looks about what I want for the 9.5:1 440 I am building. Now can someone tell me why a few years ago the cams had split profiles and now they are even profiles? This cam seems like a good street cam with its power band and lobe center. Would it give a slightly lumpy idle at 110? I f I want a slightly lopey idle can they grind one with similar characteristics but change whatever needs to be changed to make it sound thta way. This might sound silly since what is purpose of that except for personal taste.

Chryco Psycho

Changing the CL that the cam is ground on will change the amount of lope the engine will have
split profile cams help to make a restrictive exhust work & may help scavenging as well , Engle will grind you a split profile , you can discuss it with Engle when you order the cam 

4402tuff4u

I placed an order for a K58 from Engle. ChrycoPsyco (Neil) is right, Chris is a good guy to deal with. It helps to mention that Neil steered you there. Chris answered all my questions, since I'm novice at engine work, and he did not try to rush me off the phone.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Ghoste

And just for comparison, has anybody here tried to get tech help from Hughes?  :stirthepot:

694spdRT

Quote from: Ghoste on August 26, 2005, 07:50:27 AM
And just for comparison, has anybody here tried to get tech help from Hughes?   :stirthepot:

Yes, I talked with them quite a bit on another 440 I am building. I needed help with head gasket thicknesses and compression ratio computations for pump gas.

The guy I talked to was very helpful. I know some people have had trouble with Dave in the past but, to date, I have nothing bad to say about them.  :shruggy:
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Ghoste

In all truthfulness, I'm glad to hear that.  I'd like to see all the Mopar specific shops stay profitable and helpful.  I think 471 Magnum also had a good experience with them (I think), but I sure have heard a lot of other folks complain about their customer service when you need tech help.

Just 6T9 CHGR

I used the K56 cam 224* @ .050 with .504" lift   I had them grind it at 108* for the lope.
www.englecams.com

I am very pleased with the idle charactistics as well as the 12-14" of vacuum in drive as compared to the 8-10" I was getting with the MP .484" cam
Chris' '69 Charger R/T