News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What brand of spark plug and model # to use on a stock 383?

Started by hewi, September 28, 2006, 09:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hewi

383 owners - What do you guys use/recommend?

Cheers,
Bruce

deputycrawford

I have used AC   R45S plugs for years. I have switched to Champion RJ 12YC and they aren't too bad. I am looking for a set of NGK's for my next set but don't know the numbers. I went to Champion because they had the plugs two stages colder. I heard NGK and Autolite have good plugs. I guess you could start with the factory plug choice of Champion and go from there.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

firefighter3931

I have used NGK XR5's on many BB engines with very good results. Good plug for iron headed street motors running up to 10.5:1 compression. The heat range is bang on for pump gas builds.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Chryco Psycho

is_it_EVER_done?

Quote from: hewi on September 28, 2006, 09:33:40 PM
383 owners - What do you guys use/recommend?

I was lucky enough to buy out a dealerships inventory of Mopar branded Champion J11Y plugs many years ago, so I can't offer any help on what brand or heat range works best out of the available plugs now days, but keep in mind that most the plug manufacturers recommendations have no basis in reality since they will only recommend plugs that still exist, even if they are too hot.

An example is Champion. The stock plugs were J11Y's in the performance big blocks, and frequently a J10Y was a better choice for racing or after header installation, but when the 10's and 11's were no longer made, "miraculously" the J12Y became the proper plug. The fact that it is too hot is simply overlooked and the recommendation and cross-reference charts were rewritten. The same goes for the other manufacturers, some of which combined four heat ranges into a single plug.

Fortunately it's not hard to work around these hotter plugs by slightly richening the fuel mixture and/or reducing the speed of the timing advance, or dropping the operating temperature down, and most people aren't even aware that this is something that is being worked around since the proper plugs haven't been available for about 20 years now, but if fuel mileage is of any concern to you, it might be worth your while to try the coldest available plug from a few different brands to see if any come close to stock and tune your engine to them. A stock Road Runner was an exceptional performer, but would also get 17 MPG or better if you weren't hot roding it. The same car will lose performance and mileage when tuned to a hot plug.

histoy