News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Resetting Brake proportion valve?

Started by MellowCharger, September 29, 2006, 05:18:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MellowCharger

Hi

My 69 Charger has a problem with the rear brakes being far more efficient that the fronts.

Someone mentioned that the proportioning valve that sits under the M/C has clicked over pushing all power to the rears. This means that I must have a problem with the front lines somewhere but it's not apparent.

How do I reset the valve so that I get normal braking?

Your help is much apreciated.

rgds
lee
68 440 R/T
08 Ford GT
66 Sting Ray 427 Coupe
68 Corvette Rdstr
67 Mustang 390GT Fastback

John_Kunkel

Is your car have drum brakes front and rear? If so, there is no proportioning valve, the brass connector that the MC lines merge in is merely a splitter. If there were an imbalance in the system your dash brake warning light would be illuminated.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

MellowCharger

Hi John.....The car haspower brakes and discs up front.

All my lights are up the swanny.....not much works inside.

thanks
68 440 R/T
08 Ford GT
66 Sting Ray 427 Coupe
68 Corvette Rdstr

John_Kunkel

The '69 prop valve isn't under the MC like on the later cars, it's mounted all by itself lower on the frame. The valve doesn't actually "click over", it just limits the pressure to the rear brakes under heavy braking.

I think you're referring to the differential piston inside the splitter that triggers the warning light; when it moves to one side or the other it doesn't affect the pressure.

MellowCharger

You're right John...That must be what I'm refering too.

What do you think is causing the problem I have?
68 440 R/T
08 Ford GT
66 Sting Ray 427 Coupe
68 Corvette Rdstr

resq302

possibly an internal leak inside the master cyl?  possible obstruction in the lines, like rust or collapsing rubber line?
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

MellowCharger

My first thoughts were leaking m/c but that appears to be ok.

I'm replacing the hoses although they look fine and I will report back....I'm sure it's not gonna be that simple.

I have 2 chargers. A 68 and a 69 which I bought this year and I don't think I've used either for more than a day without something going wrong........Oh the joys of motoring. :-\
68 440 R/T
08 Ford GT
66 Sting Ray 427 Coupe
68 Corvette Rdstr

Nacho-RT74

disc/drums setup uses a different dist block as far I know.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

John_Kunkel

Quote from: MellowCharger on November 07, 2006, 05:59:33 AM
My first thoughts were leaking m/c but that appears to be ok.

An internal leak (bypassing) won't show up visually and with no working warning light you don't know if there's an imbalance.

Chatt69chgr

A good site that sells new proportioning valves and also explains how the darned things work is:

http://www.piratejack.net/

Might take a look to see if anything they say helps.  You can take your proportioning valve apart and clean/inspect it.  There are some rubber parts inside and I would venture to say that none of these items are or ever will be available.  There is a reproduction of the later cast iron proportioning valve that is identical to the MOPAR unit.  I think 73 up.  But not a reproduction of the brass one you have.  Now if anyone knows of a repop of the brass unit, I would sure like to know about it.