News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

should i get another job?

Started by ying, August 25, 2005, 01:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ying

i've been working for my present employer now for 17 years. but the industry i'm in ( the airlines) is not doing the best we have been warned of the company going into bankruptcy. i have a few resumes out and have a possible in at a power plant as a mechanic   but its in Wyoming and i'm in Georgia right now. have two sons from my first marrage they are 15-13. real far to move from them but with job cuts and pay cuts coming. job in Wyoming pays $2.00 less an hour plus no state tax there, my sons might move but..what would you do. remember i have a mortgage. car payment, child support,. bills like we all have .....
1968 Charger R/T
440 auto
Purple w/silver stripes
3:91
slotted mags

ramit

Sounds like you work for northwest airlines.

Telvis

Doesn't it get really cold in Wyoming? I think I would stay in Georgia where it's warm. Of course you have to do what is necessary to survive. It would be hard to leave the kids behind. I know I couldn't do it. I can't even bear the thought of moving to a different city an hour away from mine. I feel for you. I know it has to be difficult.

Vainglory, Esq.

Gotta be Delta...

I dunno man...there's not much in Wyoming. ???

ChgrSteve67

What do you have for retirement?

You have 17 years in do you qualify for retirement at 20? I understand that you may have to wait 10 or more years before you can collect but 3 years isn't that far away. I would hate to see you give up on a 17 year investment. I hate to say it but what about a second job? It probably won't pay what you want but could help supplement your current income and get you buy until things smooth out or you find the job you want.

I have been working in private industry for 25 years and none of the company's I worked for covered my retirement. I have had many 401k's that got rolled after I left but my retirement has been on me. My parents both worked for the Federal Government which took care of them and I had a girlfriend who's father retired from the airlines (United). Since he was union he got retirement and perks from them.

I am assuming that you are a Union worker (if I'm wrong sorry) talk to your union stewart and see what other company's your union manages, see if you can get a job with one of them. I know 17 years in a Union isn't a lot of time and it will be hard to compete with other Union members that have a lot more time in but its worth hanging in there for the retirement if you can.

If you haven't been managing your own retirement fund for the last 17 years you need to try to hold on to what you have or just squeak in the years to get what you can. Now is not the time to bail on 17 years unless you want to work until you die.

Of course there is the lottery, bank robbery, I hear prison can be quite nice (three meals a day, TV, exercise yard)

Good Luck  :Twocents:

P.S. If you have stock in this company ..... GET IT OUT NOW!

Stormhammer

have you also tried at places like Lockheed Martin?  ??? 

do some more ground searching here in GA - its definitely a developing state

Chryco Psycho

would be looking in the GA area

derailed

You may want to check this site out if your in Georgia and you do decide to jump ship or plane i should say.. The fact you have transportation experience is a big plus. The pay rates they have listed are old.

http://www.nscorp.com/nscorp/application?pageid=Careers&category=Careers&contentId=english/nscorp/careers/craft_field_positions.html

ying

i work for delta. i've been looking here in georgia  i can "retire " now the only difference in pension, if the government does not get, it is $200 at lockheed you have to deal with being laid off at the drop of a hat i have friends who "worked "there. not much in wyoming but for my 6 year old who lives with me there is four wheeling wide open spaces to play , i just wish i could get the older two come not saying i'm going just a lot to think about!!!!! thanks for some in site though! oh yes i do play my 401L every week just hoping but i'm not an old lady or ............. that seems to be the only people who win  ::)
1968 Charger R/T
440 auto
Purple w/silver stripes
slotted mags

41husk

I would check cost of living before making a move.  If you can buy a cmparable home for %20 less the 2$ an hour pay cut would be like a raise.  I teach schoo; in souther IL, I make about 10k a year less than friends who teach in Chicago, but do to cost of living I have a house that cost less than his, He said there is no way he could afford my house in his area.  So even though I make less $ I have more disposable income. (more cars)
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

ying

the cost of living there is a hell of a lot better than altanta,
1968 Charger R/T
440 auto
Purple w/silver stripes
slotted mags

mustanghater

get a job at Progressive. My dad hires alot of people to take care of the grounds and do maintenance.
New Muscle car forum
http://usav8.com/aamc/index.php
www.myspace.com/spencespeed

bull

I think it depends on what the company would give you if you stay until they lay you off. Does Delta usually offer severence packages or just cut people loose without compensation? If I were you I would sit down and write all the pros and cons of staying and going and then weigh it all out. I wouldn't pass on a good opportunity if it came up just to get some severence pay but if they usually offer it, and it's fairly substantial, it might be worth it so stay to the bitter end.

ying

bull they have really stopped the "packages" because they are having so many people leaveing right now you know th rats jumping ship. if the do close its gone no compensationright now i would get the cash portion of my pension about$20,000 then at 62 $2200 a month plus any accured vacation and comp time on the book . the next two months will really tell the story. after they file for BK.
1968 Charger R/T
440 auto
Purple w/silver stripes
slotted mags

41husk

I think I would make the move but you need to do what is best for you and the family.  I don't mind moving after 10 years in the navy, you get used to relocating.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

ying

stang what i do for a living is i'm a professional aircraft mechanic plus an accomplished auto mechanic i'm what would be classified as a master mechanic at both. the real hard part is finding a job where i can make as much as i do now. a good year with O.T. is six figures. before you say" no wonder the airlines are i trouble" remember the responsibility i have you cant stop in mid air if you have a problem. we all love what we do and take great pride in the fact we have a tremendous safety record!   
1968 Charger R/T
440 auto
Purple w/silver stripes
slotted mags

41husk

I think he was just trying to help.  With that kinda salary I would stay until they let me go.  As far your job with those qualifications there will be something out there for you.  Possibly even start your own auto repair facility.  What ever you decide to do I wish you luck! and keep us posted.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

Charger_Fan

Man, I'd like to swap you paychecks for 6 months.

If Delta isn't going to file BK for 2 more months, then I'd say you have at least another month to try & find a suitable job in your area. Otherwise for now, it's looking like Wyoming is the place to go.

BTW, Wyoming does get damned cold & depending on what area you're in, it's easier to count the days the wind DOESN'T blow than the days it does. Personally, I hate Wyoming.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)