News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Problems with: There is already an attachment with the same filename...?

Started by Troy, October 11, 2006, 09:55:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

The other thread regarding linking to an existing picture leads me to another problem that I see regularly. I know many members have seen an error like this: "Sorry! There is already an attachment with the same filename as the one you tried to upload. Please rename the file and try again." This error is occurs because I have set the server to only allow unique image names so each image exists only once (in theory). What this means is that if your camera, like mine, names pictures like "DSC1001.jpg" then anyone else with the same camera also has theirs named exactly the same. If you try to upload the picture after someone else uploaded one by the same name OR you try to upload the same picture twice you'll get this error. One way to avoid this is to rename all of your pictures with a unique identifier so these duplicates are avoided. I will usually use my initials so my pictures are named something like "tp_DSC1001.jpg". You must rename the picture on your computer before you try to upload it! On Windows you can right click the file and choose "Rename" from the list or you can slowly click it twice - once to select it and another to edit. Be sure to click within the name to "unselect" all the text before you start typing unless you plan on typing the entire name all over again. If you're uploading the same one twice (bad idea) then read my other thread here: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,19303.0.html instead of changing the name.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Khyron

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

68chrgrwife

Quote from: Troy on October 11, 2006, 09:55:12 AM
The other thread regarding linking to an existing picture leads me to another problem that I see regularly. I know many members have seen an error like this: "Sorry! There is already an attachment with the same filename as the one you tried to upload. Please rename the file and try again." This error is occurs because I have set the server to only allow unique image names so each image exists only once (in theory). What this means is that if your camera, like mine, names pictures like "DSC1001.jpg" then anyone else with the same camera also has theirs named exactly the same. If you try to upload the picture after someone else uploaded one by the same name OR you try to upload the same picture twice you'll get this error. One way to avoid this is to rename all of your pictures with a unique identifier so these duplicates are avoided. I will usually use my initials so my pictures are named something like "tp_DSC1001.jpg". You must rename the picture on your computer before you try to upload it! On Windows you can right click the file and choose "Rename" from the list or you can slowly click it twice - once to select it and another to edit. Be sure to click within the name to "unselect" all the text before you start typing unless you plan on typing the entire name all over again. If you're uploading the same one twice (bad idea) then read my other thread here: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,19303.0.html instead of changing the name.

Troy

LOL  I just had that happen  to mw when i started the challenger thread....
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
LOVING MY HUBBY: CHARGERMAN68
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER: SOLD :(
1968 DODGE CHARGER RT CLONE (OK, SO IT'S HUBBY'S BUT IT'S MINE TOO, RIGHT?)
2008 DODGE CHARGER
2005 DODGE MAGNUM R/T (YES IT'S GOTTA HEMI)!

Brock Samson

OK.. so,.. what's the best way to get back to the topic and save the text? because even when the pic/s are renamed the (edited) error messege then says..

"You already submitted this post! You might have accidently double clicked, or tried to refresh."

after the previous simply annoying error messege says..

Sorry! There is already an attachment with the same filename as the one you tried to upload. Please rename the file and try again.

and of course we do lose our previously written text when the thread has to be re-found...   :RantExplode:

Old Moparz

Quote from: Brock Samson on January 21, 2009, 11:51:58 AM
OK.. so,.. what's the best way to get back to the topic and save the text? because even when the pic/s are renamed the (edited) error messege then says..

"You already submitted this post! You might have accidently double clicked, or tried to refresh."

after the previous simply annoying error messege says..

Sorry! There is already an attachment with the same filename as the one you tried to upload. Please rename the file and try again.

and of course we do lose our previously written text when the thread has to be re-found...   :RantExplode:

That's happened to me too, & if it's a post that may have taken a while to type, it's very frustrating. (That's a problem with being a slow typist who can be long-winded....lol) What I try to remember to do before adding any attachment is, to drag the mouse over the text, right click & copy it, then add the photo so if it does lose everything I can at least paste what's copied & try the renamed attachment again.

I've also noticed that if a file is too large, (usually an image) but has a name that definitely isn't a duplicate & not already posted, when you reduce the image size & try again, that same message of "that file already exists" appears. I know it doesn't exist, but just by trying to reattach the now reduced file, it thinks there is one with that name. I've gotten used to it & hardly ever have the problem, but sometimes I still forget.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Brock Samson

I tried five times today to post my pics of Erin Andrews,.. and some "Alturnate" pics,.. none were the right size... dispite going down to 200... they really are nice pics too... since alot of times this is what happens I rarely even try to post pics anymore...
I know this is because of some change Troy made early last yr. cause I never had this or the reposting trouble prior...  :rotz:

sixpk2go

Very Frustrating.
I have resized , renamed, tried a bunch of times and now i am not going to try anymore.
I am getting old doing this.
I think i have shaved 4 times already and still wont load up.
How much time does a person have to spend to get a pic on here.
I guess i along with others will just look at other peoples pics.
69 Charger 500 - 440 4brl - auto -3:55's.

Troy

Ok, which problem do you have?

If the error is that the picture is too big then resize. Pictures must be smaller than 200 kilobytes. The viewable dimensions don't matter - the file size does. Whatever you're using to edit the picture should be able to tell you the finished size and most have an adjustable slider for quality that you can tweak to get the size under the limit. You shouldn't need to save and reload a bunch of times. I make all of mine 800x600 with a jpeg quality of 80% and it works about 999 times out of 1000 (the few exceptions are usually detailed pictures).

If the error is that the name has already been used then change the file name (I add my initials at the end). You must rename the picture on your hard drive before uploading. If you call it "charger", "69charger", "aaaaaaaaa", etc. I guarantee that name has already been used.

I'd make this easier but there were too many people abusing it (uploading the same picture a few hundred times in some cases). The hard drive space on the server is limited and so is bandwidth so it helps to make things as efficient as possible. We're well beyond 20 GB of picture storage and almost 200 GB of bandwidth per month.

Troy

sixpk2go

Quote from: Troy on December 01, 2009, 01:43:42 PM
Ok, which problem do you have?

If the error is that the picture is too big then resize. Pictures must be smaller than 200 kilobytes. The viewable dimensions don't matter - the file size does. Whatever you're using to edit the picture should be able to tell you the finished size and most have an adjustable slider for quality that you can tweak to get the size under the limit. You shouldn't need to save and reload a bunch of times. I make all of mine 800x600 with a jpeg quality of 80% and it works about 999 times out of 1000 (the few exceptions are usually detailed pictures).

If the error is that the name has already been used then change the file name (I add my initials at the end). You must rename the picture on your hard drive before uploading. If you call it "charger", "69charger", "aaaaaaaaa", etc. I guarantee that name has already been used.

I'd make this easier but there were too many people abusing it (uploading the same picture a few hundred times in some cases). The hard drive space on the server is limited and so is bandwidth so it helps to make things as efficient as possible. We're well beyond 20 GB of picture storage and almost 200 GB of bandwidth per month.

Troy

Hello Troy,
I finally got it.
My pics were to size, but it kept telling me 2 different things everytime.
1- file name has been used.
2- You have already posted this.
I renamed my pics 10 times, tried moving to different folders, tried making pics even smaller than needed.
I did not however , like you said,,,to change them on the hard drive.
I was doing it in my picture folders.
I will try what you said in the future.
What seemed to work for me , i may have just got lucky, but whatever name i used for the pics from my folder, i just added .jpeg to the end of my picture names and it went through.
I dont knowwhat to say, but it worked.
I will play with this in the future to see if it will work again/ or do what you said , change on the hard drive, that makes sense to me.
Thanks for your suggestions Troy.
Appoligise for getting frustrated, but my patience runs thin sometimes.
But then again when that happens, its time for a little drink.
Thanks for your time Troy.

Jim

Troy

If you changed them in your pictures folders that should have been fine (those are on your hard drive). The other error ("you have already posted") is probably the one that caused the problem. Sometimes the system gets "confused" because it thinks you're making a duplicate post when all you really did was change the attachment (and the first post never actually got saved to the site). You probably need to refresh the page to clear the status or that error may keep happening. If you set up the names and check the file sizes beforehand then it shouldn't be a problem - but it can be confusing.

Troy

sixpk2go

Quote from: Troy on December 01, 2009, 04:43:57 PM
If you changed them in your pictures folders that should have been fine (those are on your hard drive). The other error ("you have already posted") is probably the one that caused the problem. Sometimes the system gets "confused" because it thinks you're making a duplicate post when all you really did was change the attachment (and the first post never actually got saved to the site). You probably need to refresh the page to clear the status or that error may keep happening. If you set up the names and check the file sizes beforehand then it shouldn't be a problem - but it can be confusing.

Troy

I will keep that in mind.
The refresh could have been the problem at times.
I just found most times , it was the filename giving the grief.
I renamed them numorous times.
But i added .jpeg at the end to the names and it went right through right away. ??????
It was the same 4 pics everytime i tried, but then they got through.
But all in all , it was good because i learnt a few things also along the way to.
Thanks Troy.

Jim

elacruze

Troy,

What happens to the files that get uploaded the first time, when I get the 'already uploaded with this name' error? Are they captured in the server, lost in space? It would be nice to access them and attach to a post rather than duplicate and waste space with a different filename. I uploaded 4 pics, the last of which was 209kb (oops) which brought the entire post down and I have to resize the one, rename the other 3. Dangit.

Eric
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Troy

Good question. I believe they may actually be on the server. I'm not sure if the forum calculates the size beforehand or waits until the upload completes to generate an error. I'll have to look into it. I think there's another thread on here that explains how to access an image that has already been uploaded.

Troy

green69rt

I've run into various iterations of the problems in this thread.  Other sites have had similiar problems.  To avoid much frustration I have started composing my posts in Word or some other program, save it then do a copy/paste to this forum.  Pictures get reformated before I even start on the thread.  Works for me every time and saves some frustration plus the word processor is what I'm used to working with on other things.

Fred

I am also having problems with including a photo as an attatchment even though the photo's are the right size and file type and I have renamed the file. I am having all the problems already described by others and don't know what to do :brickwall:. PLEASE HELP.  Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

grdprx

Fred, that means someone here has already used a file name like yours... You have to rename the file, add some numbers to it or something.  Should work ok!   :cheers:

Look forward to seeing some pics of your 68!  G'day mate!

Fred

G'day grdprx, thanks for your help but I've already tried renaming and also resizing my photos but I still can't get it to work!  :shruggy:   Fred.  Actually while I'm at it I might just give it another try............ nothing to lose!!

ok I just tried it again with a new file name, new photo name...........still doesn't work!!!!  :brickwall:  I think I will have a drink now!!!! and I don't mean a lemonade!!!
HEEEEEELP!!!!!

MoparManJim

Fred, get a photobucket account and all your worries and post photo issues will be over.  :2thumbs: :yesnod: 

Troy

Fred, the error you're getting definitely has to do with the name. Your file size appears to be fine. As I mentioned before, I'll usually stick my initials (or some other unique set of characters) at the beginning of the file name.

Troy

Fred

Hi all here we go again..........another go at getting a photo out there. I'm beginning to think that uploading a pic onto this forum is harder than stripping down a car and putting it back together again ha ha!! Fred (keep your fingers crossed!!

Fred

Gee wiz! Troy your latest suggestion actually worked........and no one is more surprised than me. Only I messed up with the size of the pic but I will get it right next time.
Y our help was much appreciated. Fred :yesnod:

learical1

I ran into a little problem today.  I wrote a reply, attached a photo, and got the dreaded message "hey, slowpoke, somebody has posted another reply to this thread. you might want to read the sucker before you post."  Of course, the only important post is my post, I don't care what somebody else posted. But now my photo's filename has already been used (by me, but nothing has posted) so I have to change the filename to make the post.  Well, my computer thinks the photo's is in use, and won't let me change the name.  Eventually, I had to restart the computer to change the filename, retype my reply, and pray that some other fool didn't post another reply before me again! 
Bruce

Troy

I thought I turned off the notification about someone else posting? Gotta check that. Maybe I'll get the duplicate file names figured out one of these days. Sorry you got stuck.

Troy

learical1

Quote from: Troy on November 16, 2010, 08:56:46 PM
I thought I turned off the notification about someone else posting? Gotta check that. Maybe I'll get the duplicate file names figured out one of these days. Sorry you got stuck.

Troy

No worries, Troy!  If that's the worst thing that happens to me today, then today's been great!
Bruce

fizz

Update