News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69' Charger Ignition Question:

Started by Captain D, October 11, 2006, 12:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain D

Hello all,

I hope that I am posting this in the correct location, but here goes:

I have a 69' Charger in need of a lock cylinder + keys (the ignition switch). I have all of the wiring hook-up and even the green "housing" that the cylinder (and key) fits into. I just need to find someone who has, or a place that sells, this inner part w/ a matching key. I've checked Auto-Zone, Pep-Boys, and a place called Salvo's just in case but with no luck. Does anyone know where I might find one? If so, what might be the cost?

Thank you for any help,
Aaron
dunnsville_va@yahoo.com

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Chatt69chgr

Before you pay that ebay price, note that although the ignition lock cylinder was only used in 69, it was used in lots of 69's.  C-bodys used the same switch.  You can take the tumblers out and move them from one cylinder to another if you wish to match up with door cylinders.  69 c-bodys are still in junkyards but don't wait too long.  The Chinese are buying the metal so fast that in another 3 or 4 years, there won't be ANY old cars left to get ANYTHING off of period.  Stock up on everything you can think of now.

JimShine

I bought one of those NOS sets last week for a guy who demanded NOS. I would never do it. That seller was great to deal with though.

Captain D

Hi guys, thank you for the responses...

Yea, these things are hard to find. I haven't purchased the one on Ebay; I'm still tryin' to shop round' a bit in catalogs to see if I can find a better price, ect. I'd hate to dish out that kinda $$ right now though. BTW, what does "NOS" stand for? And, since I'm obviously new at the restoration hobby, in your best knowledge and experience: do you feel that this Ebay auction for this particular ignition would truly fit "ANY" 1969 Dodge Charger (universally) as they claim in the auction? Because, if I "had" to go for this one/no choice, I'd hate to buy something like this n' it does function properly.

"Thank you" again for any help/ideas/suggestions/feedback,
Aaron
dunnsville_va@yahoo.com

JimShine

NOS in this case stands for New Old Stock, meaning they have never been used. OEM is a common term too, meaning Original Equipment Manufacturer.

An idea I have toyed with in the past is to set up a deal where I would take unkeyed locks as cores and swap with a small amount of cash for a keyed lock. I currently have probably 75% of a master key collection, I don't think it would take long to complete the set. I just don't know if its worth persuing.

Captain D

Thanks again guys for all of the info!

I'd like to go for this set, but that price is too dang high  :'(.

I'll keep my eyes peeled and if anyone comes across one, I'd appreciate any tips!
High regards,
Aaron
dunnsville_va@yahoo.com

myk

Of all the... :RantExplode:  Ok, I can't spend that kind of money, especially when the ignition switches and lock assemblies for other years are plentiful and dirt cheap.  I'm going to try and install a push button switch.  Asides from the switch itself is there anything else I need to do?  I'll also need a toggle switch or something to activate the ignition system itself, right?  Also, browsing through the choices of push button switches I see some being classified as "momentary" and "constant," anyone know what that means?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

poppa

If I remember right,momentary is like a door bell (or horn),meaning it only works as long as you hold it,constant is like an elevator floor button (bad example) meaning,it stays on after you push it.I could be wrong but,I thought I heard of someone repoping these about a month ago.Keep your eyes open...
God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.

Chatt69chgr

I might be wrong about this but here goes:  I think the part of the 69 only on the ignition switch is the large part that the key cylinder fits in to.  I would note that quite a few, maybe all, 69's had the longer switch housing.  I took one out of a 69 New Yorker and it was the identical switch that fits a Charger.  Second, I think the key lock assembly comes out of the switch housing by sticking a paper clip wire into a hole in the side.  I think that's the case.  Then, if you look at those NOS switches, you will see a u-shaped piece of stainless along the side.  I think these retain the tumblers.  If you take that strip off, the tumblers just fall out.  I think there are springs that hold them down in there too.  You should be able to rearrange the tumblers to make the ignition and door key be the same.  A competent locksmith should be able to handle this part of the job with no problem.  If you had a bunch of swithes, you could just take them apart and have a nice selection of tumblers to play with.  The only part of all this I am sketchy about is removing the lock cylinder from the switch housing.  I want to vaguely recall reading something about the key needing to be in there to do that.  Since I havn't actually tried any of this, perhaps someone else could chime in that could provide some enlightenment.

myk

That does sound interesting, however I chose a different, cheaper route and just installed a push button switch where the key is supposed to go, and a toggle switch to arm the ignition in a hidden location.  I see it as a cool factor and a reasonable thing to do for a daily driver until someone starts producing these one-year-only parts; that is, if someone decides to start producing them. 
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"