News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona Clones From Around the World - Post Your Pics

Started by Daytona Guy, August 26, 2005, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Moparz

Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

dayclona

Quote from: A383Wing on September 12, 2005, 09:15:22 PM
I made my headlights operate off vacuum llike original. I also thought about the headlight motor from a 70 Charger, but here are 2 things that I had thought about: 1) I don't think that the little motor has enough power to rotate both buckets full of headlights and wiring. 2) If you look closely at how far the Daytona and Superbird's headlight buckets rotate, they do not go a full 90 degrees, the little motor has full travel of 90 degrees on the 70 Charger....

On another note...I also got Janak's kit for our car...I was dissapointed as to the form & fit of the parts. A lot of work had to be done to get everything to line up correctly. Plus, some of the parts he shipped me were damaged and he would not help to get them repaired or warrentied.

Just my thoughts....

Bryan   :drive:

Bryan, your thoughts are somewhat correct, the 70 charger motor rotates a full 90 degrees, the daytona headlite piviots 45-50 degrees, ......................in the creation of Gary and Pams 1971 Bi-Wing Daytona,(the G-Series cars) I used a unmodified 70 motor, mounting it in the middle of the lites(as on a stock 70 charger) connecting the daytona piviots just as one would a stock 70 charger/ using the same square rod to join the lites   to open together, the lites on the 71 daytona have steel piviots/ steel buckets ,fiberglass outer doors( as original in construction to 69/70 tona/bird) use standard bulbs/ headlite harness, and yes the 70 motor can lift all this weight, the daytonas "factory" piviot points were not relocated, this nose assy is about as stock as you can get in it's construction, with the exception of a bracket to mount the 70 motor, the variation in degrees: the weight of the piviots L/R are a tremendous undertaking for the motor to move, the rod now takes on a torsional load(as it does to some degree in a stock 70 grille set-up) as it brings the daytona lites up to that 50 degree mark (anymore and the doors hit the cone) and they stop at the up stops located in the bucket, the motor continues winding to its 90 degree shut off, now the headlites are "torsionaly wound tight, this prevents the lite from bouncing as you drive down the road! the same effect in reverse, the lites are loaded in the closed position so the lites don't bounce open! note your motor must be in very good cond. the square connecting rod rustfree/pitfree, otherwise poor operation/and or failure will result! Gary and Pam have owned and driven the white 71 Daytona for 3-4 years now and drive the balls off it! day and nite, have proudly showed off to people when they ask do the lites work? Pam always warns people not to stick their fingers in the lites as they move, rapidly! they'll take your finger off!.................. a few aspects of electric lift (factory motor) the car does not have to be running, you have the emergency "wheel" to crank open/close the lites in an electrical motor failure! note the same 70 electric motors were employed in the creation of the all BLACK 71 winged Superbee/Charger(G-Series) car, except I used 2 motors, one for each piviot/ why ? just experimenting! either way 1 motor or 2 it works! on the 71 Plymouth Superbird, I used pontiac fiero motors(2) because they lended themselves in size/shape to fit in the small confines of the 71 bird nosecone (only 12", Stock tona/bird18")   a note on using electrical motors, if your cone/piviots/doors/etc etc are all fiberglass, ( fiberglass "units" are O.K. for vacumm set-ups, as vacummm opperation is "passive" in opperation)its gonna get busted up! the piviot frames must be steel ,    fiberglass buckets are marginal at best! the outer doors are just decreative coverings that serve no purpose so to speak! I've done vacumm/electric for 69/70/71 tonas/birds, they have each their own pros and cons!either choice requires attention to detail/engineering/function , veiw the additional pics on DAYCLONA.com to see what a real piviot/ bucket assy looks like!...........steel the only choice................................................

I hope this helped!   MIKE    /   DAYCLONA

dayclona

Quote from: Old Moparz on September 13, 2005, 08:56:09 PM
Quote from: Stratocharger on September 13, 2005, 12:03:54 AM
Quote from: Stratocharger on September 12, 2005, 10:33:02 PM
i musta missed it but why wont the Corvette mech. work?.

:shruggy:

you can only use the 1983 corvette assys, they are extremely rare and hard to come by! in fact no part #''s were even assigned by the factory! just ask your friendly goofwrench counterman for assistance in finding these assys!goodluck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :icon_smile_evil:

A383Wing

Quote from: Daytona Guy on September 12, 2005, 11:46:11 PM
See, Bryan is amazing. How much are those switches?

Dane..or anyone else who is interested in these little "electro-vacuum" swiches I have come up with...email me direct at A383Wing@aol.com and we can talk...I don't want to take up a lot of space here talking prices.

Amd Mike...thanks for your input....as I stated, I did think about the 70 motor idea...but the vacuum switch I have come up with and going the original vacumm route was better for me at the time.

Thanks again....

Bryan  :drive:

Brock Samson

Old Moparz

Sorry, but my eyes aren't working this week & this looks like it's worth seeing.

Bryan, your thoughts are somewhat correct, the 70 charger motor rotates a full 90 degrees, the daytona headlite piviots 45-50 degrees, ......................in the creation of Gary and Pams 1971 Bi-Wing Daytona,(the G-Series cars) I used a unmodified 70 motor, mounting it in the middle of the lites(as on a stock 70 charger) connecting the daytona piviots just as one would a stock 70 charger/ using the same square rod to join the lites  to open together, the lites on the 71 daytona have steel piviots/ steel buckets ,

fiberglass outer doors( as original in construction to 69/70 tona/bird) use standard bulbs/ headlite harness, and yes the 70 motor can lift all this weight, the daytonas "factory" piviot points were not relocated, this nose assy is about as stock as you can get in it's construction, with the exception of a bracket to mount the 70 motor, the variation in degrees: the weight of the piviots L/R are a tremendous undertaking for the motor to move,

the rod now takes on a torsional load(as it does to some degree in a stock 70 grille set-up) as it brings the daytona lites up to that 50 degree mark (anymore and the doors hit the cone) and they stop at the up stops located in the bucket, the motor continues winding to its 90 degree shut off, now the headlites are "torsionaly wound tight, this prevents the lite from bouncing as you drive down the road! the same effect in reverse, the lites are loaded in the closed position so the lites don't bounce open! note your motor must be in very good cond.

the square connecting rod rustfree/pitfree, otherwise poor operation/and or failure will result! Gary and Pam have owned and driven the white 71 Daytona for 3-4 years now and drive the balls off it! day and nite, have proudly showed off to people when they ask do the lites work? Pam always warns people not to stick their fingers in the lites as they move, rapidly! they'll take your finger off!.................. a few aspects of electric lift (factory motor)

the car does not have to be running, you have the emergency "wheel" to crank open/close the lites in an electrical motor failure! note the same 70 electric motors were employed in the creation of the all BLACK 71 winged Superbee/Charger(G-Series) car, except I used 2 motors, one for each piviot/ why ? just experimenting! either way 1 motor or 2 it works! on the 71 Plymouth Superbird, I used pontiac fiero motors(2) because they lended themselves in size/shape to fit in the small confines of the 71 bird nosecone (only 12", Stock tona/bird18") 

a note on using electrical motors, if your cone/piviots/doors/etc etc are all fiberglass, ( fiberglass "units" are O.K. for vacumm set-ups, as vacummm opperation is "passive" in opperation)its gonna get busted up! the piviot frames must be steel ,   fiberglass buckets are marginal at best! the outer doors are just decreative coverings that serve no purpose so to speak! I've done vacumm/electric for 69/70/71 tonas/birds, they have each their own pros and cons!either choice requires attention to detail/engineering/function , veiw the additional pics on DAYCLONA.com to see what a real piviot/ bucket assy looks like!...........steel the only choice

I hope this helped!  MIKE   /  DAYCLONA
               Bob                

wingcars6970

Lee Sicilio again has set a new land speed record for his clone daytona.Out fitted with Teds parts like nose and window plug etc .To verify to date he has had zero defects or any fiberglass short comings he set one thanking Ted.As a unbiased review.Coming from a out sider a independant that has nothing to gain by making allegations .When I recieve it It will be posted.((Then maybe you can explain Charger Vert)) Why this race car under several kinds of stress is exhibiting no fiberglass short comings of Teds parts.As you claim the street useage ones will fail.Also how many outsider independant customer satisfaction salutes are on the dayclona website.At this time or ever

Ghoste

:blahblah: :no: :brickwall: :violin:
And now back to our regularly scheduled thread on Daytona cloning and the pics thereof.

BigBlockSam

the only problem that i've heard with fiberglass are that the wing s shake at speeds over 100 miles an hour. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Daytona Guy

I have to admit, that if that wing did over 200 MPH, then the proof is in the pudding. I have no argument. I use aluminum because is sounds better with the knuckle test, and is it less expensive. The rear plug however is still a concern, and I work with fiberglass, I know that over time, stress, expand, contract, torque and with jarring will begin to show. But, if I had one,  I would enjoy it and live with the fact that I have a Daytona, with or with out a glass plug, and not too many people can say that. Just have fun.

BigBlockSam

i would have to go see and feel  the wing to believe it is fiberglass. if it is, it is highly reinforce just for this car. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

dayclona

Quote from: BigBlockSam on September 16, 2005, 02:02:23 PM
i would have to go see and feel   the wing to believe it is fiberglass. if it is, it is highly reinforce just for this car. Rene

Yes, the wing for this car was extensively reinforced with steel, and extensive braceing in the trunk/floor, one can't look at a "element" as being inferior/superiour, as long as the engineering is sound, and the properties of a said   design/mat'l choice is made   based on   sound principles,parameters can be met or exceded, example the fiberglass wing on my Lamborghini Countach is fiberglass, although well engineered and constructed it can obtain and sustain speeds nearing 200mph! now if I was to replace/reproduce it in paper mache' ;I don't think it would hold up! that's like saying a cloth wing bi-plane   should be able to go 500 knots, or that a fiberglass daytona/bird wing that 's not reinforced will go 250mph! give me a brake!, even Chrysler knew this! that why ,if you've had the chance to see a true vintage nascar wing, there's a huge "A" frame tubular insert cast into the wing, along with a cable channel (for increased support as well as shear protection if the car was hit/wrecked) Chrysler knew the "production" wing would not withstand repeated stress, that why there 's   "street" wings & "race" wings! do you seriously think a   unreinforced fiberglass daytona/bird wing will survive, not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Wingcar69/70 you've been hoodwinked in thingking so!.................but lobe damage is apparent! by the kaos that runs rampant in your posts! :devil: Dave relax! smoke that last cigarette,and kick out that stool that your standing on! and hang tight!

BigBlockSam

back to the subject. does this clone count?  i don't think that it's even a clone

dayclona

Quote from: BigBlockSam on September 16, 2005, 08:19:47 PM
back to the subject. does this clone count?   i don't think that it's even a clone

creation/concept!/custom?? ::)

Charger_Fan

Quote from: BigBlockSam on September 16, 2005, 08:19:47 PM
back to the subject. does this clone count?  i don't think that it's even a clone

I'd say that one falls into the "what if" category. What if the winged cars were on the drawing boards before the 2nd gen Charger was on the drawing boards? Chances are this may be something like what the Daytona would have turned out to be.

Anyway, kudos to the guy who brainstormed that car & went ahead & actually made it...it's a pretty neat "what if" car, if you ask me. :icon_smile_big:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Daytona Guy

I will chime in. I think that thing is a "Mistake".  :icon_smile_wink:

BigBlockSam

i think it looks good but i like just about any mopar with a large wing on the back

Ghoste

I disagree that it's a mistake.   I thought so at first but the more I have looked at it, the more it intrigues me.   I might have done it differently but that is the beauty of "what if's", they should provoke and make you think.

Oh, and Dayclona, don't get sucked into the personal attack stuff.  No one here cares and if we ignore it, it'll go away.

Daytona Guy

How about this... Is this next?

1 of 1 Adobe Daytona

Ghoste

Hey why not?  It's an interesting exercise.  How about this, what if wing car evolution had continued to the current Dodge NASCAR offering?

Daytona Guy

:icon_smile:  Stooooooooooooooooopppppppppppppp  :o You mean a 4Dr Daytona. Ha ha.

Old Moparz

That fastback Charger with the Daytona wing has a funny story. The guy who did it has a sign he displays at shows telling a story. It goes on to say how it was a special one of one, factory built Daytona, & has all kinds of "info" authenticating the story. He supposedly did it as a joke since there were so many people hung up on numbers. This was posted on the old board before it crashed, so I don't have the details & may even have some of it wrong, but that's what I recall.

I liked the idea he had, but not too crazy about a Daytona wing on that body style.
               Bob                

Ghoste

Yeah, I did mean the four door, but since this thread has evolved (?) from clones to what if's, why not?  I hate the car, but I'd still be interested to see theory's.  Hell, if someone has a viable idea on how wing cars might have progressed, post drawings of Torusses and FullMontyKarlo's too.  It's Friday night and just for laughs anyway.

Daytona Guy

Here is a drawing I did a little while back on a Retro Daytona if it was made today

Ghoste

That's what I'm talking about.  That is a car with possibilities.