News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

aftermarket gauges in stock dash?!?!?

Started by HITMAN 149, October 19, 2006, 11:06:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pandamarie

Thanks guys for the great pics and ideas on sizes for the 69 dash. I just did this conversion on my wifes vette with Phantom guages and green LEDs it makes a huge difference. As soon as I get some other cars done I can get back on my Daytona clone, I think I will be going with the Phantom2 guages for the clone, I like the white face guages with the bright orange pointer, eaiser for my old eyes to see.

HITMAN 149

yes i replaced the water temp & oil pres sending units w/ the autometer ones that come with the gauges....
also their tech guys were great w/ quick replies to any questions!!  :2thumbs:
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

PatrickPeeters

Quote from: Yeahmate on April 20, 2010, 07:31:41 PM
Idea from DKM69 dash and here's my take on it.

Take one old dash

How did you clean up the dash in the picture? (removing hte chrome/silver staining)
Patrick  :punkrocka:

Yeahmate

How did you clean up the dash in the picture? (removing hte chrome/silver staining)

It was repainted, citrus cleaner and scorer pad...... plastic primer..... paint the chrome areas........then mask and spray the black area.  ;)

HITMAN 149

i used max strength easy off oven cleaner on my dash bezel a scouring type pad, and a toothbrush!! gotta let it sit for a bit to soak into the paint though!! but worked great!!!
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

PatrickPeeters

I did it in the dishwasher, almost everything did come off.
Steering wheel also cleaned up nice that way.
Al plastic stuff worked great lowest temp dough.

HITMAN 149

lmfao.... my wife would prob friggin choke me if i put car parts in the dishwasher!!! lol
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

Rolling_Thunder

what do you guys use to fill the gap between the 3 3/8" gauges and the large opening on the Speedo and Tachs ? 
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Hud

BAM!!!!!!  lisiecki1 thats what I want to do just tossing up the possibility of the stainless / chrome look that autometer has on on their american muscle section.  If you can get back to me bro, what were the sizes / measurements you used to fit that ralley dash.  That is the only thing that is holding me back.
1971 Plymouth Barracuda, 1973 Jeep CJ6, 2011 Chevy Silverado LTZ, 2012, 2012 Harley Davidson Street-Bob, Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Hud

Quote from: lisiecki1 on August 04, 2009, 02:27:36 PM
here's mine.....

BAM!!!!!!  lisiecki1 thats what I want to do just tossing up the possibility of the stainless / chrome look that autometer has on on their american muscle section.  If you can get back to me bro, what were the sizes / measurements you used to fit that ralley dash.  That is the only thing that is holding me back.
1971 Plymouth Barracuda, 1973 Jeep CJ6, 2011 Chevy Silverado LTZ, 2012, 2012 Harley Davidson Street-Bob, Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

TexasStroker

Quote from: Yeahmate on April 21, 2010, 06:49:35 PM
Relax lads  ;),
The gauges are 2 1/6'' for the small, 5'' monster and 3 3/8'' speedo.
I cut the pot metal frame with a hack saw, the 2 1/6'' gauges I shaved the edges off to squeeze them in
The gauges installed, you can see how tight the gauges are from the thumb screws/nuts touching each other

Yeahmate, do you have pics of the shaved gauges?  I'm assuming you just mean the bezels where two contact? 

I got my the bezel prepped tonight and I can fit (2) nicely, but add the third in any direction and I have contact  :rotz:  I have debated "dimpling/flattening" the inner bezels, but I want to know what you did first.  I knew things would be tight and set the inside gauge as close to the speedometer slot as possible and still had issues...particularly with the 3rd gauge, again despite moving the 4th over a bit.

My advice to anyone doing this mod would be to place the first gauge as close to the speedometer as possible and then work to the end (left to right).  I think if I would have set the 4th gauge a little farther right I would have been able to just dimple the inner 2 for clearance and been done.

Thanks in advance for any insight...hopefully my turns out as nice as your cluster did!
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

Yeahmate

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on November 13, 2010, 08:02:08 PM
what do you guys use to fill the gap between the 3 3/8" gauges and the large opening on the Speedo and Tachs ?  

1/8'' Aluminum ring that I cut out

Quote from: TexasStroker on November 13, 2010, 11:05:14 PM
Relax lads  ;),
The gauges are 2 1/6'' for the small, 5'' monster and 3 3/8'' speedo.
I cut the pot metal frame with a hack saw, the 2 1/6'' gauges I shaved the edges off to squeeze them in
The gauges installed, you can see how tight the gauges are from the thumb screws/nuts touching each other

Yeahmate, do you have pics of the shaved gauges?  I'm assuming you just mean the bezels where two contact?  

I got my the bezel prepped tonight and I can fit (2) nicely, but add the third in any direction and I have contact  :rotz:  I have debated "dimpling/flattening" the inner bezels, but I want to know what you did first.  I knew things would be tight and set the inside gauge as close to the speedometer slot as possible and still had issues...particularly with the 3rd gauge, again despite moving the 4th over a bit.

My advice to anyone doing this mod would be to place the first gauge as close to the speedometer as possible and then work to the end (left to right).  I think if I would have set the 4th gauge a little farther right I would have been able to just dimple the inner 2 for clearance and been done.

Thanks in advance for any insight...hopefully my turns out as nice as your cluster did!

This is the only shots I have of the gauges, you can just see it on two of them, I just used bench mounted rotary sander

TexasStroker

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on November 13, 2010, 08:02:08 PM

I have something lined up that worked like a champ...problem is I've only got one and I haven't built the backing plate or cut the housing to make sure it works.  It is fine in the bezel though and provides a very snug fit.  I shot off a tech question to see if this particular part is available stand-alone or has to be purchased in conjunction with something else (how I got it).  I will post back when I find out.

And Yeahmte, thanks for the info.  Next chance I get to work on the car I'll play with clearancing some more and then move on to sanding the edges.  Thanks!
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

TexasStroker

It's 3 AM I must be lonely...or milling the net about Charger stuff, lol  :D

Anyway, this solution is all hinging on whether or not it is readily available (checking on that) and if it clears the necessary backing plate/support for everything else (which will be determined as my free time allows):

A potentially very trick-fix for the problematic "gap-filler" on the clock/tach and speedo side:

Which allows this:

I know the tach is off-center a bit, it is adjusted by simply twisting left or right, no biggie.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

PatrickPeeters

Quote from: HITMAN 149 on November 12, 2010, 11:40:07 PM
lmfao.... my wife would prob friggin choke me if i put car parts in the dishwasher!!! lol

Do it late at night when everybody is at sleep!
I did clean it up first and then put is in the dishwasher, really allmost all off the paint did come off first time and it almost washed down to the plastic....

And my way isn't the normal wat, I think, but seemed like a great idea.
So wondering how other people were doing this?

The wheel came out nicely, will post a pic later on.

lisiecki1

Quote from: Hud on November 13, 2010, 10:29:22 PM
Quote from: lisiecki1 on August 04, 2009, 02:27:36 PM
here's mine.....

replied to your pm bro, if you have any other questions, just ask and i'll help if i can.
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

Hud

I appreciate it stud, that helped a lot, this is what I am looking at. Let me know what you thing...

In Dash Speedometer   3 3/8" (85.7mm)           Product #1288
In Dash Tachometer   3 3/8" (85.7mm)            Product #1298

In Dash  Fuel Gauge    2 1/16" (52.4mm)   Product #1215
In Dash  Oil Pressure   2 1/16" (52.4mm)           Product #1226

Any Thoughts?

dkn1997

Quote from: Hud on November 15, 2010, 09:01:49 PM
I appreciate it stud, that helped a lot, this is what I am looking at. Let me know what you thing...

In Dash Speedometer   3 3/8" (85.7mm)           Product #1288
In Dash Tachometer   3 3/8" (85.7mm)            Product #1298

In Dash  Fuel Gauge    2 1/16" (52.4mm)   Product #1215
In Dash  Oil Pressure   2 1/16" (52.4mm)           Product #1226

Any Thoughts?

I love those gauges!  The font is very similar to 68-70 B body ralley.
RECHRGED

Sixtyeight

Hi,

Love those too, like to see them mounted in a 68 Cluster! Any pics?

Jeroen.

Charger Registration of the Netherlands / www.charger.nl
1968 R/T Charger
1969 Base Charger

oldcarnut

Started working on my dash gauging while I'm in between other projects on the car and was wondering if anyone has used the Marshall gauges?  I want to go with the peak and warning type that allows you to have both the gauge and warning lights/buzzer capabilities. If you used other brands that have that function how did you like them?  These are some what I'm looking at.   I'm using 11 gauge (1/8") Stainless plate for my dash all the way across.  Got a lot more work to do to it but here it is initially blanked out.  For a finish I'm trying to give it a brushed look like the glove box piece I already about have completed.  I know its not exactly on topic for a stock dash but its almost laid out the same.  

TexasStroker

Yeahmate, yet another question (the bitter cold and snow has me isolated from my bezels), is that LED you ran for the turn signal indicator a 1/2" bezel, or did you replicate DKM69 and go with 5/32" bezel?  I would hate to order in the wrong part.  I've got my housing cut up, just lack some final prepwork and a few more parts...should be ordering the speedometer and sending unit tonight!

If the snow shuts things down tomorrow I'll get pics up!

And oldcarnut, I've never known of anyone running Marshall gauges, but they look sharp and your metalwork for the dash looks great...be sure to post up pics of the finished product!
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

oldcarnut

I went ahead and bought them.  Should be in this week.  The gaged dash section was cut out on a water jet machine. I made up a print of what I wanted and my friend got his programmer to write it up for me. My wiper switch got moved over from a math error by him but If I mess it up or decide to go a little different, he saved the program for me so all I have to do is ask him to pop out another with corrections.  Cuts really nice straight and accurate switch openings and diameters and pops it out in no time like it was butter. Having to weld on the back side pieces and switch mods are a little time consuming.  The radio plate and glove box section I did/doing by hand and takes a longer time on the stainless than if it was made from alum.  They all should fill the dash and at the right depth as stock. I'm thinking of making an indicator panel similar to this one in some variation.  Trying to search on-line and see whats already available at least for the colored parts that I can trim for my own application.  Wonder if the local print shops could make some up if I get them the plastic?

TexasStroker

Very nice...I had actually sketched out a cluster to be cut on the waterjet, but our guy had some personal stuff come up and hasn't gotten back in touch with me...Subsequently I just picked up some bezels to go that route.  I see you will have no issues with the gauge bezels touching.

I think it will look very nice when you are finished, the blue/black gauges will look great on the stainless.

I think the snow will melt enough by Saturday for me to get back out and check the bezel to see if the indicator lights should be 5/32" or 1/2."
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

oldcarnut

I mocked out the gauge diameters and placements by cutting a cardboard pattern and paper cutouts and drew a print from that.  Today I milled out some switch bezels in my spare time between machine repairs from some anodized alum scrap. In the morning I'll finish them off and take to the trophy shop for engraving the switch labels. The offset in metal colors should blend well from the plate to the 45* angles and finished alum.  I made a SUPERBIRD name plate similar to the 68 Road Runner emblem out of the same material for the glove box piece Still have a good bit of work ahead of me especially achieving the brushed finish to match the glove box piece on the plate but it's starting to come together.  Found a few places that sell a plug that fits in the bulb sockets that adapt to running LED wires so I don't have to cut/splice any light wiring.  Who sells new chromed rockers?

TexasStroker

Have the frames been engraved yet?  That should look killer when it wraps up!  I haven't gotten to make much more progress, just trying to fab-up a support plate.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!