News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

71 Charger wheels - wheel nut spacing etc

Started by 71 Bee Man, October 25, 2006, 04:42:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 Bee Man

Hi guys,

just wondering (without me getting the ruler out) does anyone know what the stud pattern/size is on 71 Charger wheels ? For when you are ordering wheels, if you know what I mean.

Also, does anyone know the maximum backspace for the rear wheels of a 71 ? ???

Thanks,

Peter.
Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21133.240.html

73 Charger 440

I believe all "big" Mopars of the era were 4.5 inch, its something like 114mm (could be remembering wrong). Same as SN95 (94?-04 and later) Mustangs.

Chryco Psycho

bolt pattern is 5 on 4.5" circle , the 71 will not take the big wheeels the 70 can b ut you should be fine with 8" wide ,4" back space

Goldfinger71

Hey Chryco
Shouldn't 8.5 wheel work as well with no problems? :icon_smile_question:
1971 Charger R/T   GY9 Dark Gold Metallic, V1Y Gold Top, GY4 Light Gold Interior- A/C, Rimblow, PW, Front Disc, AM-FM, Tach, Light Package, Slotted Tips, Trailer Tow Package(MIA)and a few other odds and ends...including a luggage rack!

71charger_fan

114.3mm   25.4mm=1in.  Most Mopars share lug spacing with most 5-lug Fords and with AMCs. Ever notice how common the magnum style wheel was on AMC products?

71 Bee Man

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on October 26, 2006, 01:31:11 AM
bolt pattern is 5 on 4.5" circle , the 71 will not take the big wheeels the 70 can b ut you should be fine with 8" wide ,4" back space

Thanks for the help guys. I wasgoing to ask about backspacing.

I've just read an article in Nov Issue of Mopar Muscle regarding wheel choices and they speak a lot about back spacing.
I find it interesting to note the comment about the 71's not being able to take big tyres. The wheel wells look like they're crying out to be filled.

So let me get this right...... I can happily look a round for wheel that have 5 X 4.5 inch (the same as our Australian 70's Chryslers and Fords), and I can go 8's on the rear with 4 inches of backspace.
Does that sound right :yesnod:

What do you suggest for the front ? I'm inclined to stay with 7 inch like I have now. Also thinking of at least 15 inch wheels by the way.

Peter :icon_smile_big:
Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :

71charger_fan

The biggest tire I've personally seen on an unmodified 3rd generation Charger is a 295/50-15.

73 Charger 440

Quote from: 71charger_fan on October 27, 2006, 05:52:38 AM
The biggest tire I've personally seen on an unmodified 3rd generation Charger is a 295/50-15.

How wide of a rim? 10 inch?

71charger_fan

Sorry, didn't think to ask what rim he had it on.

Stormhammer

hm, what are the offsets for the front and rears?

71 Bee Man

Well.....I'm still looking at wheels, but I really have to wonder if 8 inch rims on the rear is the most I could go - just doesn't seem like a lot when a friend of mine stuffed 9 inch rims under his Aussie Charger without a problem - and they're smaller.

I'd really be interested to hear what size wheels you Gen 3 guys have seen. I can't do it over here, cos there's just none around. I do have pictures of a purple 71 500 with wheels that fit nice and wide under the rear. I'm thinking of going perhaps 16's now.

Peter

73 Charger 440

Quote from: 71 Bee Man on November 09, 2006, 10:46:49 PM

Well.....I'm still looking at wheels, but I really have to wonder if 8 inch rims on the rear is the most I could go - just doesn't seem like a lot when a friend of mine stuffed 9 inch rims under his Aussie Charger without a problem - and they're smaller.

I'd really be interested to hear what size wheels you Gen 3 guys have seen. I can't do it over here, cos there's just none around. I do have pictures of a purple 71 500 with wheels that fit nice and wide under the rear. I'm thinking of going perhaps 16's now.

Peter

I dont see 295s fitting 8 inch rims... I run 275s on 9.5 on my TA.

71 Bee Man

Quote from: Stormhammer on November 01, 2006, 02:46:37 PM
hm, what are the offsets for the front and rears?

So.....assuming just one person has told me the widest rim I should go is 8 inches on the rear, what do others here think ?

I can see the logic in just going 8's on the rear, but has anyone here actually gone wider and were there any dramas ? The same person said 4 inches of backspace was all that was available ? Does everyone agree with that, because I'm about to go out and measure the damned thing myself.

Peter ???

73 Charger 440

I just dont see 295s going on a 8 inch rim...

71 Bee Man

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on October 26, 2006, 01:31:11 AM

G'day Chryco Psycho,

I've been thinking about your advice to go 8 inch rims on the rear, and decided today to get out and actually measure what I have - using Mopar Muscles wheels article as a guide.

When I was measuring up, I had 6 1/2 inches between the wheel hub and the closest point of contact being the rear spring. Outward toward the guard (wheel arch), I had 6 inches before contact. Wouldn't this mean that I could comfortably go about 10 inches on the rim, so long as the tires didn't bulge too much ?

These were the nearest points of contact. I'll try and get some pics up so you can see what I mean. You have to measure to the rear spring because it's the nearest contact point. If it wasn't the actual wheel well is actually 8 inches away.

Peter

1971SE440

I have a 1971 Charger with 10" rear and 8" front wheels.

71 Bee Man

Quote from: rick123_77077 on November 20, 2006, 10:07:03 AM
I have a 1971 Charger with 10" rear and 8" front wheels.

G'day Rik,

do you have any other pictures your car somewhere on the net - looks really nice, and it's pretty hard to find pics of 71's.

What kind of tires do you have on your car ? Also, what's the backsp[ace on your 10's ? I take it there's no proiblem with rubbing on the guard.

Peter ;D

73 Charger 440

Id like to see more pictures too if possible :)

1971SE440

Here are some more photos.

superwbrat71

1971SE440

I do not know what the backspace is. The tire sizes are 295/50R/15 on the rears with 10" rims and the fronts are 245/60R/15 with 8" rims. Have had no problems.

Paul G

I am running 15x10 rears with 5.5" backspace 295/50 tire, and 15x8 fronts with 4.5" backspace and 245/60 tire. Those are the widest you can possibly go. Here's what I had to do to get the clearance to make them work.

The rear tires were both just bit too close to the spring which allowed the tires to rub on the springs. I used offset shackles to move the rear part of the springs inward away from the tires. On the left side I used a 1/4" spacer plate too move the tire out to get the clearance I needed on the front part of the spring. The left side had enough room to move the tire out and still clear the wheel well. On the right side if I moved the tire out it would rub the wheel well and score the tire when going over big bumps. I ended up clearancing the front part of the right spring just a bit. No spacer plate on the right rear. They now fit fine, even when crossing railroad tracks or going over big bumps.

In the front the wheel was was just showing some contact on the upper control arm. I put 7/32" spacers on both of those and no more problems. I am really happy with how it turned out and get lots of compliments on the look now. These pics don't show the offset shackles which are visable.

1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

71 Bee Man

Quote from: Paul G on December 15, 2006, 11:05:08 PM
I am running 15x10 rears with 5.5" backspace 295/50 tire, and 15x8 fronts with 4.5" backspace and 245/60 tire. Those are the widest you can possibly go. Here's what I had to do to get the clearance to make them work.

The rear tires were both just bit too close to the spring which allowed the tires to rub on the springs. I used offset shackles to move the rear part of the springs inward away from the tires. On the left side I used a 1/4" spacer plate too move the tire out to get the clearance I needed on the front part of the spring. The left side had enough room to move the tire out and still clear the wheel well. On the right side if I moved the tire out it would rub the wheel well and score the tire when going over big bumps. I ended up clearancing the front part of the right spring just a bit. No spacer plate on the right rear. They now fit fine, even when crossing railroad tracks or going over big bumps.

In the front the wheel was was just showing some contact on the upper control arm. I put 7/32" spacers on both of those and no more problems. I am really happy with how it turned out and get lots of compliments on the look now. These pics don't show the offset shackles which are visable.

G'day paul,

thanks for all those pics....can I be a pain and ask if you have a true "side on" shot of your car. I'm especially interested in how your wheels look.

Incidentally guys I'm thinking seriously about 15 x 8 Magnums in all chrome.

Peter
Sydney, Australia

Paul G

I just took some new pics of the car this week. I snapped like 50 shots of it. How's this one? BTW, anyone who wants to see more pics of my car is never a pain.
Here is a link to my Photobucket acount with lots of shots.
http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e141/88l98vette/December%2006/

1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.

71 Bee Man

Quote from: Paul G on December 20, 2006, 04:55:09 PM
I just took some new pics of the car this week. I snapped like 50 shots of it. How's this one? BTW, anyone who wants to see more pics of my car is never a pain.
Here is a link to my Photobucket acount with lots of shots.
http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e141/88l98vette/December%2006/

Did you find that the full chrome Magnums made much more of a difference than the originals with the dress rim ?

Do they "look the part". :shruggy:

Peter

Paul G

Quote from: 71 Bee Man on December 20, 2006, 09:41:03 PM
Did you find that the full chrome Magnums made much more of a difference than the originals with the dress rim ?

Do they "look the part". :shruggy:

Peter

I had 14" Magnums with the trim rings which were period correct. They were nice. These Magnums I have on now have more bling due to the chrome. It took a while too get used to them, about 10 minutes LOL . I have to say this past summer my wife used the Charger one afternoon. I was coming up the road in the opposite direction of her not realizing right away that it was my car. My first thought was how good it looked, then I realized it was mine.

71 Bee Man

Quote from: Paul G on December 20, 2006, 10:24:35 PM

I had 14" Magnums with the trim rings which were period correct. They were nice. These Magnums I have on now have more bling due to the chrome. It took a while too get used to them, about 10 minutes LOL . I have to say this past summer my wife used the Charger one afternoon. I was coming up the road in the opposite direction of her not realizing right away that it was my car. My first thought was how good it looked, then I realized it was mine.

I have been thinking about Cragar SS rims, but I don't like the idea of the uni-fit wheels.

I'm thinking of the chrome Magnums because I can keep that original look, but have a bit more chrome. I've looked at a few other types of chrome wheel, but still keep coming back to finding something that looks original, but is a bit brighter.

Your car looks great by the way. :2thumbs:

Peter

andy74

i have 295/50 15s on the rear of my 72,on cragar s/s wheels that i found in a parking lot-the offset is way to much as they stick about an inch out of the wheel well,but they do look really cool!i dont have any current pics,but the guys on here who saw my car at carlisle can tell you what i mean!

71charger_fan

440mag

I have 4.5" back spacing on my 72 Charger with 8" wide wheel.  The tires are 275-60-R15 and I have all kinds of room.  235-60-R15 on the front with a 7" wheel.  I cant remember the back space but think it is 3.5" so it would be centered.

I have some 5.5" back space wheels that are 10" wide wheels that I run a ET streets on.  They are too close to the leaf spring and almost touch.  I put on a 7/16" spacer when I race so there is no problem.

Like someone else said 295-50-R15 will fit good but are to short and leave your wheel wheel looking empty.  They are only 1/2" wider that the 275-60-R15 and the 60 series fill they wheel well.

So it is my opinion that you can run a 5" back space on 10" wide wheel with no problems on a 71 or 72 Charger.  It probably the perfect wheel and what I would run if I was buying wheels again.  If you can find a tire you like the perfect size would be a 295-55-R15.  It would fit nicely with the 10' wide 5" back spaced wheel.
440mag

konigcharger

grabbed these off of ebay a while ago for reference:
295/50/R15 :o

If you have no vision or creative spirit, you can always fall back on the way the factory did it.

mikesbbody

peter, i sent you a pic of a maroon 71 rt with rallyes on it. dont know the back spcing etc but im pretty sure they were 295/60/15's im surprised at all the guy's running 50/15's on the rear on the front he runs a massive 265/60/15 (abit too wide imo) but you will definitly have no problem with a "10" on the rear as long as the back spacing is correct. i have 275/60/15's on my 72 on a "8" plently of room to go wider but id need a "10" rim.

Charger-73

I decided to bumb this topic, because I was planing to ask same question. Only different is that I have 73 Charger and I was thinking does rear axle match to 71-72?

I was hoping to use 275 - 295 rear wheels is this possible with stock setup or do I need to change something?

At the moment it is still possible to do modifications to body if needed, just want to make sure that I won't regret later that I should have done something different... =)

PP

Paul G

295/50-15 is really very tight. A 10" wheel with 5.5 backspace will be way to close to the spring without using a wheel spacer. The tire will rub the spring. A 10" wheel with 5" backspace will put the tire right under the wheel lip, and it will rub unless you have the rear high enough, or stiff enough springs. 295/50's can go on, but it wont be easy. Ask me how I know?

BTW, different tire makers will have different width tires all with the same size rating. BFG's are the widest. 

Nacho-RT74

71/72s are the same than 73/74 on spacing and everything related to fit wheels/tires
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Charger-73

Thanks for quick answers!

Okay, then I think it is better to keep everything the way those are now. I was thinking to change spring place little bit but no need. For me 285 or 295 will be enough.

Planing to use VINTAGE 45 17x9 or 17x9.5 what is your opinions? And what would be best tire size for those rims? And what backspace should work best with that size rims?

Anyway when rear axle is back I will measure this anyway to make sure that I know how it should be done. But it will take some time before I can measure it... =)