News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Disc Brake Dust Shields

Started by Chatt69chgr, October 29, 2006, 09:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chatt69chgr

Are there two different sizes of disc brake dust shields------one for the 10.87 inch rotor and one for the 11.75 inch rotor?  I was told that one size was used on both.  Could anyone confirm this.  Thanks.

bull

I can't say for sure but that information does not sound right. How could a 10.87" dust cover reach the edge of a 11.75" rotor? I think it would bolt up alright but it wouldn't cover completely, and in the opposite scenario the 11.75" cover would protrude past the edge of a 10.87" rotor.

66mopar

This is a very good question that none of the so called experts could answer for me until I found out for myself. Here is what I discovered.
I took the large caliper adapters and dust shields off of a 76 Cordova. The dust shields were the exact same size that were on a 73 duster that I got the spindles and dust shields off of. From my experience they appear to be the same. 
Maybe someone else really knows (without guessing) if there were different dust shield sizes.

is_it_EVER_done?

They are the same for both disk diameters.

bull

So are they a better fit on the small rotors or the large ones?

Chatt69chgr

Looks like we have confirmed that the dust shields are the same diameter for both big and small rotors.  I will note that I have seen two configurations of dust shields.  One has an extra cutout that I think is called a ventilation hole.  The "A" body shields don't appear to have this hole but the ones from "F" bodys do.  I wonder if it would make any difference which I use on my 69 charger disc brake swap?

I would like to ask a question concerning the color of the dust shields.  Some say they are to be painted silver.  Some say black.  I know the ones I got off a "F" body were painted black (over galvanizing).  What color were the shields used on factory disc brake cars delivered in 1969?  I think that would be the "right" color for my disc brake conversion.

Finally----------some use slider calipers and some use the pin type.  Is one better than the other for use on a 69 charger disc brake conversion?  I have heard that the sliders may be more sturdy.  For those that used the sliders, what caliper did you use and what brake hose (rear mounted calipers).

Chryco Psycho

from my experience the sheilds would be silver in 69 , 69 used a totally different 4 piston Kelsey Hayes disc brake so either pin or slider will be technically incorrect , I do noyt feel there is an advantage to either type & both are easy to get parts for , either way the caliper leans against the mount bracket & the pins or plates just keep the caliper located

Shakey

I read somewhere blue cadmium.   :shruggy: