News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Front suspension what to do?

Started by cold85, October 31, 2006, 05:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cold85

My front end needs a rebuild. Are certain upgrades worth the money? I know what i can rebuild the stock stuff for i think. I have power steering and would like to get some of the bump steer out of the car. I also like the ride quality of the stock frontend. Are some of the new product worth the money. Like the new rack and pinon kit or the complete bolt on kits that Bill Reily make. Or would I be happy with no power steering and a new steering box. I do not know so i would like some other opinons thanks

bull

I can't say much about the steering but if you're considering polyurathane bushings I think most people would agree they are much nicer than the stock rubber.

daytonalo

I hear they squeak like hell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian in GA

I remember a lengthy thread on this forum about the poly vs. rubber debate--seems to me the poly gives you better handling, esp. for strip applications, but the rubber gives you a lot better ride.

This link may work:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,15396.0.html

If not, search on "complete suspension & steering rebuild"

I saved that one for when I get ready to do the same thing.
Good luck!

Chryco Psycho

I guess it depends on your budget & what you really want out o f the car , if you aregoing to Rack & pinion & would recommend Alter K Tion from Bill Reilly
you can get a lot out of the stock suspension as well , by welding plates on the lower control arms , upgrading to C body tierods &  using poly suspension parts

daytonalo

I have restored many cars and I always use stock rubber , these cars are worth way to much and irreplaceable to thrash them around in a turn or roadcourse. when I go out for a drive it is all I can do to keep people away from my car or running into it .

resq302

I just redid mine recently and chose to go with rubber.  I used to have a Jeep CJ7 that I put polys on and used the required grease and they still squeeked like hell!  I have also heard that on these older cars, the poly unit dont allow for enough flex and I have heard people breaking welds and other pieces on their front suspension such as K frame sections where the lower control arm shaft goes through.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Ghoste

I have poly in mine and after three years no squeaking and no broken welds.

daytonalo

If you want to burn rubber buy a muscle car ! If you want to take corners at high G loads buy a Porsche!

Ghoste

daytonalo

It is what it is , old antiquated technology , accept it for what it is . Show it , cruise it , polish it , don't waste time and money trying to compete with a viper . Go buy one !!!!!

Ghoste

I don't think improving the suspension automatically means you want to compete with a Viper.  The drivetrain as delivered in 1969 is also antiquated technology and we have no qualms about improving on that.

daytonalo

my point is you have to completely engineer the front and rear susp , independent rear , coil over front and rear or air bags to compete today . Those mods are great for a hot rod or purpose built car , in most case an orig suspended car will bring a higher price .

Ghoste

No, I understand where you're coming from Larry.  My point was just that there isn't anything wrong with making the stock stuff better.  Work with what you have.
I know I can't corner with a Porsche but if the guy up the street with the 67 Chevelle has to brake to try and follow me in a corner, that's worth a few grins.

daytonalo

Stop it now , Your speaking to like you almost like me !!!!!!! I think any upgrade  that can not be seen is awesome !!!!!!!
                                                                                                             Larry

Blakcharger440

From what I have gathered on a few posts of his,NYCMille has a Charger that can keep up with some
of the newer cars like camaros and mustangs...which is a great achievement in a B Body if you ask me.
I am going to try and make mine handle just as well.

If you can adapt some of the newer technology  like updated tire & rims,sway bars,subframe connectors,better brakes then why not do it as these things also add saftey.  :yesnod:

BlueSS454

I have 1 car out of 4 with poly bushings in it, my 70 SS454 Chevelle.  If I could do it over again, I would put rubber ones in it.  It does handle better cornering, but how often do I need it to do some serious cornering?  Almost never. They costantly squeak too which is annoying.   My 69 Chevelle on the other hand rides much nice with the rubber bushings in it.  Another reason I chose to go with rubber in the Charger.  They lasted for 35 years once, they'll last for another 35 years.
Tom Rightler

daytonalo

Finally , someone who has been there , done that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you guys still go with poly , we told you so!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ghoste

I'm there doing it and I'm keeping my poly but thanks very much for your opinion too.

Blakcharger440

I had poly bushings in a 69 Mach 1 390 car back in 93 and liked them alot. I didnt here any squeaks!

is_it_EVER_done?

I agree that there is no reason not to upgrade the suspension to todays standards, but the stock suspension was so good that it's very hard to improve upon past heavier torsion bars, good shocks, and new bushings.

You really have to start with the car body in order to get substantial improvements. Sub-frame connectors welded to the floor and frame is a huge improvement, but welding all the seams in the front frame rails so that they are boxed in, seam welding the K-frame, adding welds to the suspension mounting points on the front, welding several brackets to the rear shock mount crossmember so that it is tied to the body and frame, and adding several welds to the torsion bar crossmember so that it is tightly tied to the body, will give you truly amazing improvements. However tires are going to be the main improvement you can do.

I have gone on record several times before stating that Poly bushings will decrease suspension performance, As Moog rubber is far superior, but it appears as though the poly squeak is more of a detriment to most than the decreased suspension performance so I will second the fact that it squeaks - no matter how much you grease it, but even if you could get it to stop squeaking, you are still going to be stuck with a harsh riding, sub-par handling car with poly. Try them both and come back and tell us which is better!

I offer up the Lamborghini Countach as an example. It was fast, good looking, and could handle well on an absolutely flawless track, but on a real road it was the most miserable car that ever existed, and could probably get beat by a slant six dart on a normall road due to it's stiff, unworkable suspension. it has never been considered a performance car by the "handling" crowd due it's stiff, harsh suspension. However, some like that and mistake it for performance.

Ghoste

How does the poly decrease suspension performance?

daytonalo

Blakcharger440

Yes please enlighten on how the poly bushings decrease performance and rubber with more deflections would increase?

is_it_EVER_done?

This has been well covered before many times, but you can read my thoughts and experience with poly in this thread  ]http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,9917.0.html