News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

need to rais up rear end of car

Started by chargercalvin, November 05, 2006, 03:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeattleCharger

I used air shocks on about five vehicles before, you can raise and lower them to adjust height and stiffness, and if you get new springs ever, you can just leave em in there and let out some air pressure,  they are about eighty bucks for a rear pair, or less,   
     The tires I had were to tall and wide, on one car the fender well cut up the outside of the tire on my way to get the shocks,  :icon_smile_evil:, so three or four hundred bucks of tires is worth eighty bucks to at least be able to drive the car around,  they are very easy to install usually, couple sockets, don't have to take rear end off or springs or anything, just like regular shock swap,  the little air hose and air nozzle filler are just put on with a little hand twist cap, you prob. know this, just saying . . .     

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

terrible one

Someone please fill me on on why air shocks are supposed to be so bad on the mounts or whatever?

MorePwr

Quote from: terrible one on November 15, 2006, 06:39:17 PM
Someone please fill me on on why air shocks are supposed to be so bad on the mounts or whatever?

I suppose if you Jack em up to high and let the shocks carry too much of the load. that would put way to much stress on the upper shock channel, but with a little common sense?

firefighter3931

Quote from: MorePwr on November 15, 2006, 08:01:38 PM
Quote from: terrible one on November 15, 2006, 06:39:17 PM

I suppose if you Jack em up to high and let the shocks carry too much of the load. that would put way to much stress on the upper shock channel, but with a little common sence?

Exactly...the suspension is designed to support the car on the leaf springs....not the shock mounts. The mounts will eventually fail or weaken significantly.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Steve P.

Not to mention that it's damn hard to get your rear end to hook with air shocks..

Do the S/S springs with the S/S front perches and a good pair of shocks. You will love the traction and the hight of the rear end.   

One big question though. How much space do you have between the inner edge of the tire and the leaf spring and inner fender well??  You said something about SPACERS.. Maybe you can use a thinner spacer or none at all..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida