News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

need to rais up rear end of car

Started by chargercalvin, November 05, 2006, 03:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargercalvin

i am putting wide wheels on the back of my 72 charger. they stick out about an inch and barely make it under the outer wheelwell.  what can i do so that my tires dont hit the wheelwell when i hit a bump. it has stock leaf springs and an all-around cushy suspension. can i use shackels or what? what are my options and how, and whare, and how much?

calvin

Chryco Psycho

springs are really the only choice
shackles will not raise the car , they just bend the spring backwards , air shocks will tear the shock crossmember out , the other option that will work is too put the diff under the leaf spring & weld on new shoes to the diff of course this causes problems with shock mounts & would need a longer shock

Chryco Psycho

blocks between the leaf & the diff lower the car

chargercalvin

WHAT WOULD I HAVE TO DO TO GET SPRINGS PUT ON? COST? AND HOW COULD I STIFFEN THE SUSTENSION?

CALVIN

MorePwr

Air shocks are the cheapest way to solve your problem.

firefighter3931

Calvin, get yourself a pair of Super stock springs....that will raise the back end up and make it real firm. Another option is a company called springs & things (Espo) and have them make you a set with a 2in arch.

Shackles and air shocks are just a bandaid fix.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

daytonalo

Have you tried BOTTLE ROCKETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MorePwr

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 06, 2006, 08:11:27 PM
Calvin, get yourself a pair of Super stock springs....that will raise the back end up and make it real firm. Another option is a company called springs & things (Espo) and have them make you a set with a 2in arch.

Shackles and air shocks are just a bandaid fix.

Ron

:iagree:  Heck if money is not a concern, then inboard your springs, tub it and buy new rims that fit inside the fenders... that's the best way to go.

Chryco Psycho

chargercalvin

i dont have that kind of money. this car is just gonna be a daily driver. i wish i could tub it

chargercalvin

firefighter3931 ,
do you have a # or site where i could buy super stock springs?

calvin

firefighter3931

Mancini racing has the SS springs. You will also need to get the matching front hangers with the SS springs because the front segment of the spring is shorter. The SS front hangers also have 2 height adjustments which is a nice feature when you're trying to dial in the rear suspension.

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/noname41.html

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

dart4forte

terrible one

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 07, 2006, 10:58:14 AM
Mancini racing has the SS springs. You will also need to get the matching front hangers with the SS springs because the front segment of the spring is shorter. The SS front hangers also have 2 height adjustments which is a nice feature when you're trying to dial in the rear suspension.

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/noname41.html

Ron

Hey man, where can you find the SS hangers?

chargercalvin

OK THAT DOESNT SEEM TO COST THAT MUCH, THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. AS FOR THE WHEEL SIZT THEY ARE 16X9 WITH A 1.25IN ADAPTER. THEY BARELY SQUEEZE UNDER THE WHEELWELL CHROMB. IS THERE ANY WAY TO JUST STIFFEN THE SUSPENSION AND LEAVE IT.

firefighter3931

Quote from: terrible one on November 07, 2006, 06:57:58 PM

Mancini or your local dealer has those too....they are an MP part. Call for your specific application.

Ron

firefighter3931

Quote from: chargercalvin on November 07, 2006, 07:38:10 PM
IS THERE ANY WAY TO JUST STIFFEN THE SUSPENSION AND LEAVE IT.

You could possibly pull your current leafsprings and have them rebuilt with x-tra leafs added and increased arch. That might end up costing more than going with brand new stuff instead of reworked (tired) 30 yr old parts.

Ron

terrible one

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 07, 2006, 08:43:21 PM
Quote from: terrible one on November 07, 2006, 06:57:58 PM

Mancini or your local dealer has those too....they are an MP part. Call for your specific application.

Ron

Thanks for the info!

terrible one

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 07, 2006, 08:46:08 PM
Quote from: chargercalvin on November 07, 2006, 07:38:10 PM
IS THERE ANY WAY TO JUST STIFFEN THE SUSPENSION AND LEAVE IT.

You could possibly pull your current leafsprings and have them rebuilt with x-tra leafs added and increased arch. That might end up costing more than going with brand new stuff instead of reworked (tired) 30 yr old parts.

Ron

One solution that might help would be to get some of the "leaf spring helpers" from Autozone and such. They are like $20-30 I think. But just like a lot of the previously stated solutions, they are just a bandaid. Save up some money and do it right, IMO.

chargercalvin

a bandiad sounds good what do the leafspring helpers do?

calvin

Chryco Psycho

they just clamp to the rear section of the leaf spring tio stiffen it 

chargercalvin

i am buying a pair from advanced for a little over 100 4 the pair, not bad

calvin

Chryco Psycho

for $250 range you should be able to get new springs