News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone installed the Unisteer 68-70 Charger Rack and Pinion?

Started by professor-patrick, November 08, 2006, 11:29:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

professor-patrick

I've installed this new unit in my 69, and  I had to notch one of my TTI header tubes and notch the rack mounting bracket to make it fit, so I'm committed now.  Anyone else had positive or negative experiences with this unit?
Dr. Patrick Hagerman
Lead Designer - Scotlea Hot Rods
www.scotlea.com

daytonalo

professor-patrick

Not much - they said that it should fit those headers without any problems.  I also had to move one of the preinstalled power-steering lines because it ran right into a header, which they said was the correct location and that I shouldn't have any problems (there was no way it would work without moving it 1/2 turn).  They have been very rude on the phone and somewhat condescending. 
Dr. Patrick Hagerman
Scotlea Idol Rod Inc.
www.scotleaidolrods.com
Dr. Patrick Hagerman
www.scotlea.com

daytonalo

Don't you love company's like that , they wont be around long with a reply like that ! Especially with the internet !
                                                                                                             Larry
    PS post their phone # and it would be fun to call and all ask the same question !

dads_69

I spoke with Bryan on the phone at Uni-Steer last month about ordering a rack set up for my car. I told them I'd be using TTI headers as well. Not a problem they said. I haven't ordered it yet, might not eitheer after this review, thanks for the info..
Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

dkn1997

Quote from: dads_69 on November 08, 2006, 02:20:40 PM
I spoke with Bryan on the phone at Uni-Steer last month about ordering a rack set up for my car. I told them I'd be using TTI headers as well. Not a problem they said. I haven't ordered it yet, might not eitheer after this review, thanks for the info..
Mark

that's what so few people in business realize.  By giving this guy the runaround, not only have they lost a customer who clearly has access and influence over other potential customers, but they pretty much just alienated anyone who will read this.  What they should have done was asked you more questions, asked for photos/measurements and either send someone to your house or ask you to bring them the car, or bring the car to an independent shop.
RECHRGED

Blakcharger440

I was thinking about buying this kit, but I didnt like where they are mounting the rack and pinion on that kit anyways. I
am for sure not going to purchase one now. Thanks for the info.

kamkuda

I looked at them as well.  Sorry to hear about the problems :rotz: BUT thank you for the information

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

XXSpiralXX

Why the HELL would anybody want to DECREASE the turning radius on a charger? My freaking welding rig turns better than my 72 does!

Steve P.

I don't think they wanted it to decrease. I'm pretty sure that was fall out..  None of this looks good to me..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

UNISTEER

Hello fellas.......  This post was brought to my attention recently and I figured that I would try to let you all know that we are glad to help anyone with any questions, concerns etc.

Please take a look at the link below to download the kit instructions or print them off for yourself.

http://www.unisteer.com/help/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=21&nav=0,1

We have dozens of install pictures if you guys are in need of a specific view let me know! :thumbs:

UNISTEER PERFORMANCE
800-338-9080

defiance

ok, that's nice... although I'm getting a 404 when I go to your site... but are you going to address professor-patrick's issues?

*edit- nevermind, the 404 went away*

UNISTEER

Quote from: defiance on February 12, 2007, 02:00:21 PM
ok, that's nice... although I'm getting a 404 when I go to your site... but are you going to address professor-patrick's issues?

*edit- nevermind, the 404 went away*

Not sure what the 404 is, but....

Quote from: professor-patrick on November 08, 2006, 11:46:46 AM
Not much - they said that the turning radius would be decreased by about 1/2 turn, which turns out to be quite a bit.  I also had to move one of the preinstalled power-steering lines because it ran right into a header, which they said was the correct location and that I shouldn't have any problems (there was no way it would work without moving it 1/2 turn).  They have been very rude on the phone and somewhat condescending.  I try not to bash anyone but this product is not all that great in my opinion.  I build 3-4 chargers a year for customers and will not be offering or recommending this option to anyone.

When retro-fitting a convention steering vehicle to a R&P it is common to lose some turning radius which is slightly disheartening when parking or in tight low-speed maneuvering, but the benifits that you do get along with R&P steering in normal driving situations by far outweighs the negatives described here in this thread and others concerning fitment, header clearance, etc. We make several reto-fit kits for Street Rods, Classic Cars and Muscle Cars and the biggest obstacle in designing a kit is the header clearance/rack placement in order to avoid bump-steer issues.

We wish that we could offer a "drop-in" kit, but unfortunately like most experiences that are mechanical there is a bit of tweaking/engineering that may need to be done to complete a particular installation. We are always more than glad to help someone out or trouble-shoot any issues that may come up while trying to install one of our kits. If you EVER have any issues with anyone here please take their name and extension and let me know.

UNISTEER PERFORMANCE
800-338-9080

defiance

Thanks.  I'm considering what to do with the front end on my charger right now as well, so this is all very interesting.

404 is the common internet "page not found" error.  I got it 3 or 4 times in a row, then suddenly it worked.  Must've been some sort of momentary outage.  No biggie :)

Steve P.

Hey Unisteer, How about at least a first name. I tried to call your 800 number and got a recorded announcement. Without a name I may as well have stuck my head up my___________________ :flame:
I couldn't even get an opperator...   :icon_smile_dead:

I have questions on the pump you use and the rack..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

UNISTEER

Quote from: Steve P. on December 02, 2006, 10:57:18 PM
I don't think they wanted it to decrease. I'm pretty sure that was fall out..  None of this looks good to me..

Quote from: Steve P. on February 12, 2007, 04:40:17 PM
Hey Unisteer, How about at least a first name. I tried to call your 800 number and got a recorded announcement. Without a name I may as well have stuck my head up my___________________ :flame:
I couldn't even get an opperator...   :icon_smile_dead:

I have questions on the pump you use and the rack..

Sorry you had issues with our phone system. You can PM me with your name and phone number and I will have one of the reps call you back, but for now I can tell you that the pump is a TC pump and the rack is a specially valved rack designed for this particular kit/application.
UNISTEER PERFORMANCE
800-338-9080

Steve P.

Today I spoke with two reps. from Unisteer. Both very nice and helpful.   I hope to be back to work on my version of R&P on my 65' soon. They answered a few major Q's. I had and will make my build easier on me..  :yesnod:

Thanks for the help Unisteer...

I did forget to ask about the pump. It looks like the pump in your pics. are for a big block. Are they brackets you make or do they fit something I don't recognise??

How much is your pump with brackets and hoses? 

Thanks again, Steve P.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

professor-patrick

I got the same reply when I recently brought the issue back up with Unisteer - some loss in steering radius is normal. 

I basically got a "that's too bad" attitude from Unisteer, which is unfortunate because I waited months after the advertising started for the R&P to be available, and ordered one as soon as they were out.  I've now pulled the entire system off my car and gone back to the original system so I can use a Hydroboost braking system.  Since I had to modify the hoses and bracket to make it actually fit the car, Unisteer won't take it back.  Basically a waste of $1300!

Dr. Patrick Hagerman
Dr. Patrick Hagerman
www.scotlea.com

UNISTEER

Quote from: professor-patrick on February 22, 2007, 04:03:34 PMI basically got a "that's too bad" attitude from Unisteer, which is unfortunate because I waited months after the advertising started for the R&P to be available, and ordered one as soon as they were out.

We would be interested in finding out who you talked to that made you feel that way.   

Quote from: professor-patrick on February 22, 2007, 04:03:34 PMI've now pulled the entire system off my car and gone back to the original system.  I won't be offering it to any of my customers (I build 4-5 chargers a year), and since I had to modify the hoses and bracket to make it actually fit the car, Unisteer won't take it back.  Basically a waste of $1300!

Unfortunately if you modify any part whether it is a set of valve covers, headers or whatever it really is not a returnable part, but if you still have it please PM me and I will give you a call to find out what we can do for you.
UNISTEER PERFORMANCE
800-338-9080

Steve P.

I spoke with the guys at both ext. 34 and 35 at their above number. Both were into what I am doing and in NO WAY were either of them the guy I spoke with at the show.. These guys were pretty cool and had no trouble giving me their time and knowledge.

Thanks again guys..              :cheers:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

70daytonaclone

rack and pinion sounds to good to be true! 1300 dollars? how about a rebuilt stock style box for what maybe half that? some folks read to much MCG... just my 2 sence :icon_smile_cool:

Steve P.

Some people just want to be different. Some want to save weight. I myself want to be different, save weight, make much more room and MOST of all I want to have forward steer and be able to put a high volume oil pan on my motor that is NOT hanging down close to the road.  Our roads are full of pot holes and speed bumps..

After I get this all figured out I am going to re-invent the wheel.. ;D
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Ghoste

Having not read the ads and not trying to start an argument, just wondering how much weight difference there is between the two?

Steve P.

Quote from: Ghoste on March 10, 2007, 12:19:08 PM
Having not read the ads and not trying to start an argument, just wondering how much weight difference there is between the two?

That all depends on who's system you use. If I remember correctly, Bill Rielly's Alter-K-Tion drops over 100 lbs in full dress.

I don't know about the others. I can tell you a power steering box feels like a ton compared to the feather lite rack & pinion. Along with the weight of the box you remove other heavy components like your drag link, idler arm, pitman arm, and some framing for both the steering box and idler.

On top of everything else you gain a ton of room for a huge yet shallow oil pan and gain tons of strength with the box steel Alter-K-tion.  Check out Alter-K-Tion on Google or Mopar Muscle magazine or even on Bill's web site, Big Block Dart.

Oh and did I mention that with Bill's system you also get rid of your torsion bars?? To some this is good but not everyone wants to get rid of them..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida