News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what RPM should a 440 redline at?

Started by AWSOM50, November 19, 2006, 04:32:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AWSOM50

I installed a tach on my car to see whats its going.  It has a 440 in it, which I guess is built pretty stock as it isn't paricularly fast.  It is shifting gears at about 4300-4400 rpm.  I just thought that seemed a little low.  It seems like it has a little more left in it as it is a bit lazy after the gear change.

can I rev it higher by shifting the auto stick manually? or maybe something I can adjust.  Or is that just how it should be?

thanks
'69 Charger General Lee
2015 Challenger Hellcat

Mechanical newbie

hcharger

I   stay with 5200 to 5500 now  Way back when  I had a brand new 67 GTX 440 4 sp  I spun the crank 2 times and lost my warranty.  Too many 7000RPM shifts.    Manually shifting will bring it up highr. Try tweeking the kick down a bit.  for higher shifts.  There are ways inside trans to increase shift RPM  but way above me.
Ron

Ghoste

That is probably about normal for a stock setup.  As mentioned, shifting manually will bring it up and making sure that kickdown linkage is properly adjusted may help.  You can fool the trans into shifting higher by setting the kickdown improperly but it isn't really the best way to do that.  It's cheap and dirty.  :icon_smile_big:

Runner

yuo can buy different govenors from a&a for higher shift points. however i dont know how that effects your around town shifts. 

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

jg68

4500 is about the norm for a stock 440, no need trying to go higher, you probably won't see any real gain, Now if you change the cam, its a whole different ball game, but with a stock cam, theres no need to push it.

Chryco Psycho

a stock 440 in good condition should have no problems with 5500 rpm
now if the valve springs are 35 year old originals I don`t suggest it but 5000 will be fine

AWSOM50

thank you for your replies.  I don't have any history on the engine.  It's not a 60s motor.  Its a Jensen block from the 70s.
'69 Charger General Lee
2015 Challenger Hellcat

Mechanical newbie

Chryco Psycho

the limiting factor is the valve springs , with weak or original springs you will get valve float & dropping a valve will kill the engine usually
do a cam & spring swap & the problem is solved