News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ignition Conversion... Ballast and Voltage Regulator Question

Started by bee_fishy_6869, December 01, 2006, 11:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bee_fishy_6869

Hey Guys,
Last weekend I converted my ignition on my 69 coronet 318 from points to electronic. I took a bit of a different approach since I'm a poor college student on a budget. I picked up a distributor from an engine shop for $20, got the module as a pull off from a 73 charger 318, and got a new wiring harness from one of my friends (dodge tech) for free. I stabbed the distributor and timed it to revive her again and she's alive. The points were burnt out and fouled the plugs bad(replaced). Runs a lot smoother now. A decent budget upgrade so far. $35 with fresh plugs...

My question is; what specific ballast resistor should I be using. From a receipt I found in the car the resistor was replaced a few years ago with the points system still in use, but I'm guessing the recently replaced ballast still falls under the points style ohm rating.  Anyone know the part# I need for the electronic style 2 prong resistor? Also, I read in the Mopar mag (dealership issued) that I should change out the Voltage Regulator from electromech to solid state style to provide a constant 12volts to the ECU, part# recomendation?

Even though she's not a charger (2nd gens are my favorite car), I still consider it my poor man's charger/charger's not as hot yet still doable sister for now. Regardless, I love it and I think its a great stepping stone if you can't yet afford a dream charger. Appreciate the help.

Ghoste

According to Chrysler, part # P2095501 or P5206436 will work.  It's a while since I bought one but I think I use the 6436 one in my car.
A solid state regulator is a nice upgrade.  If you want the original look, there are ones on the market that look virtually identical to the one you have now but with different guts.  I use a cheaper knockoff in my car that doesn't look anything like the factory one but plugs right into my harness. 

Plumcrazy

How many terminals does the control module you bought have?  If it has four you only need the single resistor ballast.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

bee_fishy_6869

The pull-off control module I'm using I believe is the 5 wire connection, with of course the extra green wire, if I remember correctly, not being used.