News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

unibody or frame

Started by chrisrog, December 09, 2006, 03:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisrog

Is the 68 Charger a unibody car? When did Dodge switch from frames to unibody?

TylerCharger69

The first question...Yes...it is a uni-body....meaning the body does not unbolt from the frame.   The second question....I just don't know the answer to that one,  but I think the unibody platforms were incorporated quite some time before the Chargers were introduced.    Some one will chime in on this one I'm sure

Silver R/T

first unibody car dodge did was Dart in 60's
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

72chargerSE

Chrysler Airflow from the 1930's was actually Chrysler first "unibody" vehicle :yesnod:

Ghoste

Chrysler was nearly unibody across the board in 1960.  I believe the Imperial line held out a few years longer.

Brock Samson

that is correct and a fundamental reason why mopars are decidedly better built then their GM and FoMo Co compitition,..

most folks have no clue to this difference in automobile construction however...

Silver R/T

nothing wrong with full frame cars, they're just bit heavier but structurally are very strong
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Ghoste

If you want to get fussy about it, cars like a NASCAR cup car or Trans-Am competition car are full frame vehicles.  A stock 69 Chevelle is a perimeter frame vehicle and the frame may be strong but they very defintely can be bent and the sheet metal that sits on top of them is as delicate as any too.  I won't mention how handling is fubared on all those perimeter frame brand X cars by the body floating around on top of the portion that actually contains the running gear.
Yes, they can be made to handle like stink, but out of the box they need some massaging.