News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Favorite timing chain and / or gear drive.

Started by BrianShaughnessy, August 30, 2005, 08:28:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianShaughnessy

There's a box with a 528 solid cam in the basement parts depot now.

So I need a 3 bolt chain setup.   Not a hurry cause I won't start this job until November most likely.   

Favorite terms I've read lately...  billet,  rollmaster,  cloyes, torrington bearing.      I'm open to suggestions.   Discuss.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

firefighter3931

I've used many cloyes chains over the years....never a problem with any of them. My current engine has a Comp Cams double roller in it....no problems with it either, but the engine only has dyno time on it at this point....but i don't anticipate any problems. The next one i'll buy is the JP Performance Billet timing set....mainly because of the multiple advance/retard settings available with this set. It sure makes degreeing in the cam so much easier. The quality is supposed to be outstanding on the JP stuff from what i've read. You definately want a double roller timing set with a "true" roller chain, as a minimum.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

BrianShaughnessy

I was browsing the 440 source and just thinking all I need is the $59.95 billet special for now.  :shrug:  http://www.440source.com/timingchains.htm 

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Runner

i have jp in my new motor.  its a real nice piece. i bought mine from magnum hp.    i have a summit chain in my 383 and it leaves alot to be desired.  i got what i paid for thier  lol.

heres a couple pics

and heres a cute picture of the roo on the chain

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

morepower

im using a pete jackson gear drive setup a quiet setup; in my stroker...doesnt jeselhave a belt drive system out now also?
1968 Dodge Charger 496 Sublime Green 3.91 torqueflite. Built to drive. Best ET 11.73 at 117

2010 SRT Dodge Challenger 6.1 Hemi Orange 5 speed automatic. Daily Driver. Best ET 13.4 at 105

Chryco Psycho

I have used cloyes , Jp & Pete jackson gear drives all work well

CFMopar

Mopar action i think has an article on this this month and they dyno them all to. Worth the read if your interested in it.
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

max

i bought 2 cloyes and they were pure garbage :flame:

the first one when i was degree the cam in i keept comming up with a really weird centerline something like 120* on a installation that should have been 108* so i took that back to my local parts store and they grabbed another one from the shelve.

i started comparing the 2 side by side and the timming mark on the top cog on the one i had was off by one whole tooth and the bottom woodriff key was off by half.

so i exchanged it with cloyes set # 2 and i got to looking at it and it had a tooth broken on the bottom cog.

i just went with the cheapest thing that they had and it was dead on.

Ghoste

I've always used Cloyes.  No complaints.
Who makes the chains for Mopar?

Chryco Psycho

Not sure but the last Mopar chain I used was badly stretched with relatively low miles  & was not a true roller chain

Ghoste

Hmmm.  Must be made in Mexico with their leaf springs then.  I don't know that I've ever used one but the question occured to me anyway.

Chryco Psycho

probably mexican   ::)

BTW the torsion bars are Canadian made in the other 3rd world country on the N.A. continent

max

i'm sure there are good and bad in all the ones listed. to be sure what a timming set is doing the best thing to do is degree the cam, that way you can correct the problem then instead of wondering why it isn't running right later.

it's the difference in having a good running engine verses having a great running engine.
coarse that's my opinion. ;)

Chryco Psycho

I always degree the cam no matter which chain is used