News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What shifter would you use with your keisler trans?

Started by mikes68charger, December 10, 2006, 08:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikes68charger

I just finished my install of my keisler trans, But since the shifter comes up 3inch out of the floor and is actuly located in the cent of the hup Im tring to figure out what shifter to use? I want a pistal grip.

kab69440

How far fore or aft of the stock location is your shifter receiver?
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

mikes68charger

It isn't any father forward. I was using a center counsel Hurst shifter with my old trans. So I like the shifter in the center of the car. And this old shifter used to come back pretty far but I would like farther. I have been looking at the pistol grip shifters and the ones that reach back have the off set that would make my shifter move to the pass side of the car. Some of the set ups look like they come straight up to far an may hit my dash. I'm planning of making a center counsel so I'm tiring to make this easy on my self.

Rolling_Thunder

if its a keisler transmission it should be centered where the old shifter would poke through - just to the right about 4 inches....        there is a company that will make you a pistol grip shifter to the specs you want...    bends and legnth anyway...     the name escapes me right now. =-== basically you will need a console pistol grip shifter for a B-body but after the top bend it goes strait down - it will not bend again...  

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Ghoste

471_Magnum

The shifters Keisler supplies should come with a dogleg adaptor that puts the shifter in the stock location for console applications. Sorry, don't have a picture handy.

They have a pistol grip available, but I went with the stock for '69 style with a white knob on mine.

edit: found a pic

[img]http://www.keislerauto.com/mopar/transmissions/images/accessories/adapgh-c+adaprh-c.gif[img]
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: 471_Magnum on December 11, 2006, 01:10:15 PM
The shifters Keisler supplies should come with a dogleg adaptor that puts the shifter in the stock location for console applications. Sorry, don't have a picture handy.

They have a pistol grip available, but I went with the stock for '69 style with a white knob on mine.

edit: found a pic

[img]http://www.keislerauto.com/mopar/transmissions/images/accessories/adapgh-c+adaprh-c.gif[img]

I do..   I had to wait a long time for the shifter and the dogleg last year.   
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

mikes68charger

That 70 pistal grip shifter looks like it sits pretty high up. Do you think that looks like a good location for a shifter? I don't want to reach for my shifter. Any body have some othere pics of there shifters?

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: mikes68charger on December 11, 2006, 10:54:42 PM
That 70 pistal grip shifter looks like it sits pretty high up. Do you think that looks like a good location for a shifter? I don't want to reach for my shifter. Any body have some othere pics of there shifters?

It's important to remember that with the Keisler you're not rowing a foot forward and back like with an 833 shifter.    I didn't measure it exactly but the thow is only a few inches forward and back.     I'm not smacking my knuckles anymore.

mikes68charger

Do you have a pic of your install? Which of the shifters did you use? I think I like the 70 pistal grip but it dose look a little high up. What do you think a bout an A body Shifter like this one?

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: mikes68charger on December 12, 2006, 09:27:46 AM
Do you have a pic of your install? Which of the shifters did you use? I think I like the 70 pistal grip but it dose look a little high up. What do you think a bout an A body Shifter like this one?

I got the shifter that they said would work with the console.     If you're making your own console all bets are off cause I have no idea what you'd be making.  I don't reach up "high" for my shifter.    There's a dude on moparts that goes by PeteRR that has a road runner and he has a funky shifter but I can't locate a pic of it.   But he doesn't have a console in his car either. 

471_Magnum

Found a good pic showing the dogleg for the '69-style shifter as installed in my car. See attachments.

Like Brian said, the throws are very short with the Tremec, even when you factor in a relatively long shifter handle.

"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

d72hemi

just wondering, is this the 5 speed that has multiple shifter locations, or the 6 speed with only one. If it is the 5 speed,  do  you know if the 6 speed installs in a near stock location?

Ian

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: d72hemi on December 13, 2006, 02:40:27 AM
just wondering, is this the 5 speed that has multiple shifter locations, or the 6 speed with only one. If it is the 5 speed,  do  you know if the 6 speed installs in a near stock location?

Ian

these are all pics of the 5-speed....     the 6 speed is a T-56 I believe...    it will NOT be in a stock position let alone fit in the trans tunnel.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip